Mentalists Here

Sep 1, 2007
actually...yesterday i performed a mentalism effect where the person has their hand out and they ''feel'' me touch the palm of their hand. It kind of freaked me out that they felt it. Another person was watching and their jaw was on the floor..they freaked out. lol

Sep 9, 2007
I do a bit of cold reading on occasion for fun. look for kenton knepper's "completely cold" probably the best and shortest book ever.

Sep 3, 2007
I too am a huge fan of mentalism, but am having trouble finding strong techniques on suggestion etc. Ive been reading up on cold reading and have been really enjoying that aswell!

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
Believe it or not, the best book I've read on suggestion is Derren Brown's "Tricks of the Mind". He goes into an explaination of hypnosis and suggestion without all the "esp, pseudo-science" nonsense.

Sep 2, 2007
London
Professionally, I'm a salesman, so I'm really interested in the whole persuasion and influence thing. As far as I've found, the best sources for ideas on suggestion and "subliminal" influence that could be applied to magic are Richard Bandler & John Grinder's "Trance-formations" & their "Patterns of the Hypnotic Techniques of Milton H Erickson"). Or for something more specifically magic-based, Kenton Knepper's Wonder Words CDs and accompanying workbook are good. Although, as OwnerM says, Derren Brown's "Tricks of the Mind" is a good basic introduction, as is "Building Blocks" by Luke Jermay and "Sleight of Mind" by Ian Harling & Martin Nyrup.

Personally I don't do any structured suggestion-based routine, but I occasionally do stuff like making people forget their name, imagining a card to be a different one and that kind of thing, which, when you learn the fundamentals of suggestion and have a bit of practice, are fairly simple to pull off.

Sep 4, 2007
Kansas City
Subliminal influence doesn't always work... obviously. If you know something about your spectator, even maybe just their job, you can wrap the conversation around a certain subject, but keep it at a distance. Talking about different things but leading them where you want them to go is very difficult and requires a lot of social skills.

Sep 2, 2007
London
Max, I would dispute that "subliminal influence", or presumably what I would call suggestion, doesn't always work. Obviously it doesn't work if you do it wrong, but if you follow the steps that are required to acheive compliance with any given suggestion, and make sure at each stage that your subject is responsive, then every single suggestion will always work. The difficulty comes with gauging your subject perfectly and analysing feedback regarding whether or not they are responding as you would wish, which is a lot more difficult than the basic process of suggestion.

I know how to force the spectator to think of the 3 of diamonds. I'm working on it. I got it too work about 2/5 times so far. The other tiimes were close, but they picked the 3 of hearts or 3 of clubs.

You have to be really confident though. The 2 times I got it right was when I was relaxed and comfortable with my spectators and didn't seem nervous.

Also it's hard to practice this stuff. You need to just go out and perform even if you get it wrong.

Sep 4, 2007
Kansas City
Max, I would dispute that "subliminal influence", or presumably what I would call suggestion, doesn't always work. Obviously it doesn't work if you do it wrong, but if you follow the steps that are required to acheive compliance with any given suggestion, and make sure at each stage that your subject is responsive, then every single suggestion will always work. The difficulty comes with gauging your subject perfectly and analysing feedback regarding whether or not they are responding as you would wish, which is a lot more difficult than the basic process of suggestion.

Which is basically what I meant when I said that you need killer social skills in order to accomplish suggestion or subliminal influence. It won't always work because different people think in different patterns. If you have the time to continually reinforce the thought or idea that you are subliminally pushing you will be much more successful.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results