Mentor

Feb 17, 2008
hey guys,
so im looking to seriously try and improve my art, but not too many lectures come out to my frozen tundra of CT, and this is the first serious gathering of magicians ive ever seen...so if anyone has any tips that wood be great. I'm not a beginner, but the one serious thing i have problems with is putting routines together. any tips in general or suggestions?

Sep 1, 2007
As far as I'm concerned, the question of routining needs to be driven by something. If you have a specific goal in mind - an upcoming performance say - then you need to put together a routine based on what the performance is going to require. However, often this is not the case.

One of the things I noticed when i started performing a lot is that I would always end up doing the same couple of tricks for different audiences, over and over; despite knowing loads of tricks, I would always do the same one or two. After that, if I wanted to carry on, I would relax and start showing other items in my repertoire. I mention this because it made me think about two things:

One - if my knee-jerk reaction is to do these tricks first, I should make sure that they are as good as I can make them. Not only that, but I should build a routine that STARTS with these tricks and progresses from there. This was a major help in creating my first routines, as once you have a starting point you can start to ask questions like "where does this trick leave me when I'm done with it? Could this start another trick? Does my opening trick allow me to get or maintain a setup for my next trick?"

Two - are these the tricks I really want to start with? In other words, maybe you want to change your "go to" tricks before you think too much about routining. If the ones you're currently running to don't necessarily make the best openers, then concentrate on this question first.

The more thought you put into routining, the better your magic hangs together. As an example, 99% of the time I open with a quick, uncomplicated card revelation sequence with a few colour changes and surprises in rapid succession. It lets the audience know that I'm worth watching very quickly, which is important if you want them to pay attention to something a bit more long-winded later on. After that I might do a trick which finds four of a kind, and conclude with four spectators each cutting to that same four of a kind. This routine never fails to get great reactions and mechanically it's very nice - each trick sets up the next. This is an example of "mechanical routining" - using the methodology of each trick as a starting point for the next. John Bannon published a wonderful routine in his book "Dear Mr. Fantasy" which provides a great example of this style of routining.

Another example of routining is to hang each trick on a common theme. I do a "time anomaly" trick - a version of Everywhere and Nowhere by John Guastaferro - which ends in the production of four aces. I then move into a second John G trick called "Jazz Fusion", in which a series of transpositions happen which I present as "jumps back in time" When the trick is almost done, the audience believes that the four kings are face down on the table.

"Actually, I went back in time a little further than you thought - a couple of minutes ago, the cards on the table were aces..."

And of course, they are. Now the tricks have a recipricol relationship that works to strengthen the impact of the whole routine.

Finally, be flexible. Be prepared to change your routines depending on circumstance. Just last week a spectator said "does that mean the kings are back in the deck?" This lead to a quick production of the kings and then off into reset. If you've just finished a trick and a spectator makes a comment about cheating at cards, or "I wouldn't play cards with you!" or something like that, this is the perfect opportunity to dive into a cheating demo - 3 card monte, poker deal, transpositions (with appropriate patter of course). The audience is even more impressed because you are responding to their reactions, which looks more spontaneous.

Zenneth Kok talks about using tricks in pairs - one playing off the other - a "double punch". I like to work this angle rather than think about an extended "routine". I have tricks which work for everybody, tricks which can work for small children, tricks which are more suited to a tough audience, tricks for this, tricks for that...once you read your audience you know what direction to take your act in.

Anyway, hope that's useful to you. best bit of advice really - look at how other, top class magicians structure their routines. David Regal has an excellent series called Premise, Power and Participation which would be well worth your time to study.

Cheers,
David.

As far as I'm concerned, the question of routining needs to be driven by something. If you have a specific goal in mind - an upcoming performance say - then you need to put together a routine based on what the performance is going to require. However, often this is not the case.

One of the things I noticed when i started performing a lot is that I would always end up doing the same couple of tricks for different audiences, over and over; despite knowing loads of tricks, I would always do the same one or two. After that, if I wanted to carry on, I would relax and start showing other items in my repertoire. I mention this because it made me think about two things:

One - if my knee-jerk reaction is to do these tricks first, I should make sure that they are as good as I can make them. Not only that, but I should build a routine that STARTS with these tricks and progresses from there. This was a major help in creating my first routines, as once you have a starting point you can start to ask questions like "where does this trick leave me when I'm done with it? Could this start another trick? Does my opening trick allow me to get or maintain a setup for my next trick?"

Two - are these the tricks I really want to start with? In other words, maybe you want to change your "go to" tricks before you think too much about routining. If the ones you're currently running to don't necessarily make the best openers, then concentrate on this question first.

The more thought you put into routining, the better your magic hangs together. As an example, 99% of the time I open with a quick, uncomplicated card revelation sequence with a few colour changes and surprises in rapid succession. It lets the audience know that I'm worth watching very quickly, which is important if you want them to pay attention to something a bit more long-winded later on. After that I might do a trick which finds four of a kind, and conclude with four spectators each cutting to that same four of a kind. This routine never fails to get great reactions and mechanically it's very nice - each trick sets up the next. This is an example of "mechanical routining" - using the methodology of each trick as a starting point for the next. John Bannon published a wonderful routine in his book "Dear Mr. Fantasy" which provides a great example of this style of routining.

Another example of routining is to hang each trick on a common theme. I do a "time anomaly" trick - a version of Everywhere and Nowhere by John Guastaferro - which ends in the production of four aces. I then move into a second John G trick called "Jazz Fusion", in which a series of transpositions happen which I present as "jumps back in time" When the trick is almost done, the audience believes that the four kings are face down on the table.

"Actually, I went back in time a little further than you thought - a couple of minutes ago, the cards on the table were aces..."

And of course, they are. Now the tricks have a recipricol relationship that works to strengthen the impact of the whole routine.

Finally, be flexible. Be prepared to change your routines depending on circumstance. Just last week a spectator said "does that mean the kings are back in the deck?" This lead to a quick production of the kings and then off into reset. If you've just finished a trick and a spectator makes a comment about cheating at cards, or "I wouldn't play cards with you!" or something like that, this is the perfect opportunity to dive into a cheating demo - 3 card monte, poker deal, transpositions (with appropriate patter of course). The audience is even more impressed because you are responding to their reactions, which looks more spontaneous.

Zenneth Kok talks about using tricks in pairs - one playing off the other - a "double punch". I like to work this angle rather than think about an extended "routine". I have tricks which work for everybody, tricks which can work for small children, tricks which are more suited to a tough audience, tricks for this, tricks for that...once you read your audience you know what direction to take your act in.

Anyway, hope that's useful to you. best bit of advice really - look at how other, top class magicians structure their routines. David Regal has an excellent series called Premise, Power and Participation which would be well worth your time to study.

Cheers,
David.

(Humbly Smiles at David.)

Yeah, he knows what he's talking about. If I could add anything to it, it would be to remember what your deck set up is at the beginning and to build your set from that.

Here's an example:

I usually start with Satisfaction Guaranteed by DG. So if you know the set-up of that trick, you then proceed to build set where the next trick involves a DB. (Trying hard to avoid exposure. Bear with me.)

From there, I would perform IMotion. (A routine that I have been playing around with for a little while. I will put it in the Media section within the next week or so.)

From there, I know that the four Aces are together somewhere in the deck because of the opener. So next would be Hoffzy Osbourne by D&D.

From there I usually close with some sort of ACR or 2 Card or whatever and start to play around with the spectators.

That is by far the most efficient way to routine in my book. May seem narrow minded to the tricks that you can do, but it's something nice to keep in mind.

Peace,

Mitch.Conroy

Feb 14, 2008
New Engalnd
Well, for routining, it's all about the setting your planning on performing for. If you bring a deck of cards to a party already have planned out say a couple tricks you will perform and practice them before you go to the party. And ALWAYS have a backup killer trick that gets people every time. (for me thats the renegade SIMPLE BUT A KILLER). You just have to know what tricks your going to perform before you actually perform. If you don't perform it well, better bring it than not bring it.

Sep 1, 2007
Mitch Conroy brings up an excellent point - if you work from a setup, interesting things can happen. I tried this for a while, but like all magicians I have personal habits - in particular, shuffling the deck! I quickly found that between my desire to randomly shuffle and having to perform for many different groups in an evening, I didn't bother with much of an intial setup. However, I do carry a deck which is set up for a colour changing deck sequence so once again, the key is flexibility.

Setups are easy to aquire. If you ask a spectator to name any card they like, and you look through the deck for it (e.g. for an ambitious card), this is a perfect opportunity to get control of whatever you want - the four aces for example. After you're done with the ACR - or whatever - you are all set for an ace production. If you start your routine with someone shuffling the deck, you can refer back to this before you locate the aces, and it strengthens the effect.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results