Mirror by Matthew Mellow :: Review

May 2, 2008
Pennsylvania
Hey Everyone,

I just received a pre-release copy of Mirror by Matt Mellow, and I must say, I am pretty impressed.

First off, here is a link for some information on the effect.

Now... we REVIEW::

First thoughts:: I really thought the reveal sounded a little bit corny on this, and seems like you could just have just said any of the numbers on the bill serial number when you reveal that that the number the spectator was thinking of was the same as yours, however, I was very wrong...

Method:: Awesome. Simply outstanding. I can see myself using this number "thing" (I say thing because it is sort of like a force but not really... sorry I can't be more clear) daily when I do not have cards/coins...etc. It is a very clever method. Very easy as well. Difficulty? 1 or 2 out of 10, if you have fingers and a voice, you can do it.

Effect Practicality:: Hmmm... there is a version which involves a gimmick, the gimmick itself is practical enough, but I am sure there are other methods of ways around it. However, a gimmick is definetly not necessary, and does not make the effect any harder.

Teaching:: To teach an effect this simple, I am sure Matt could have just recorded a little podcast or something, but giving us a pdf with 12 pictures is a gem. Very easy to learn, perfect teaching, even better thoughts on the effect.

Final Thoughts:: Really cool. Sounds like something I would use at the restaurant I am employed at. It is perfect for restaurant work/table hopping, but can be used in any other setting if performed/presented correctly. This is also has sort of a "corny" "boo you suck"-magician sort of way at the beginning, but is also quite comedic and ends very well. I can see myself using this a lot. Also, tweaking the method is quite easy, but may or may not be necessary. Very very simple.

Pick this up! You won't regret it, really... it's amazing.

Hope this helps the skeptics ;)

Take care everyone,

-Sanj

Nov 10, 2007
So is this practical and can they look at the serial number after to make sure those are the #'s?

Aug 31, 2007
In all honesty, this probably isn't something you will be performing everyday. This is something that I originally created as a sort of "deal closer" when I was trying to get a gig. For instance, going into a restaurant that you're hoping to get a job at. You have them go to the cash register and take out ANY 1 dollar bill. They hand it to you and you tell them you'll give it back to them at the end. You walk them through how to apparently read minds. They guess a two digit number, you remove the bill that they just grabbed from the register and hand it back to them. The first two numbers of the serial number are the numbers they picked.

The original working of this effect isn't very practical for table hopping. But, if you do plan on table hopping, then perform one of the alternate routines I've provided. They're still very strong effects.

Alternatively, you could just use the number idea. Show a folded up piece of paper saying that it's a prediction. They guess the number and you remove the paper and show it to be the same number. It's simple and strong.

If you don't like the original routine there are many different paths you can take it. I hope it opens some creative doors for most people that purchase it.

Matt Mello

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results