Mixed Martial arts vs Mixed Entertainment

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
im sorry im a mixed entertainer not just a magician, and I can do whatever I want its a free country. You should think twice before speaking =)

I just came in to this thread out of curiosity when I found this line. . . a cocky, probably not even 25 year old (going on 14) that has NO genuine experience in the real world of show biz or business itself. He knows nothing about effective communications or the art of "Making friends & influencing people" and yet he wiggles his butt and snubs those that know better.

Trevor (all) it's more than fine to be a multi-talented, multi-faceted ENTERTAINER but when you mosh together all forms of magic, as an example, YOU will look the fool and YOU will lose! Not my opinion but rather public opinion; if you are the negative idea of an art form you might get smattering of deals here and there but NEVER for real money and NEVER on a consistent basis. You will be seen as a joke and employed, if at all, as a filler bit of environmental "something". . . not the sort of act that's taken seriously. Similarly, trying to do magic with juggling, dancing, and whatever else at the same time. . . well, it's suicide on countless levels.

Why?

a.) DO NOT HAVE A PRODUCT. . . you have a mess!
b.) Worse, you have a poorly planned out attempt at being a one man variety show, which you are far, far from.

IF this is the sort of thing that appeals to you, check out my chum Dean Hankey and how he's satisfied his many facets as a SHOWMAN that happens to do some magic along with comedy, dance, puppets and music.

Go ahead and make fun of my videos its meant to be made fun of =) I will still love you and respect you anyways!

Sorry Trevor, I think you’re back-peddling here. The video was not made to be “fun” or “funny” you thought you were a competitor with things. Try keeping honest. . .

mixed martial arts is many different styles of fighting and mixed entertainment is many different styles of performing arts!

WRONG! I used to teach mixed martial arts back during the 80’s Ninja craze. While one does combine different skill sets in certain situations, such as Karate with Jujitsu or even shifting from an earth to air form, it is not an incoherent mix of random stuff, it involves one key core factor DISCIPLINE followed by RESPECT OF THE ART . . . which you obviously do not have when it comes to Magic.

Oh WOW somebody gets it! I love myself and am confident in my weirdness, craziness, or whatever you wanna call it

Please don’t take someone’s A-Political/New Age gesture as being consignment to what you do. It’s best known as politeness and sadly it’s the very cancer that has resulted in club-house magicians being some of the worst performers & technicians going. The club always pats folks on the back for a good job even when everyone knows the person sucked huge weenies. This is something that has gone on for far too long and one of the reasons more and more newbies are seeking guidance away from the clubs with seasoned mentors.

When it comes to being “strange” I’m certainly no stranger to it; I’ve always walked to my own drum but at the same time, gave what I did a serious sense of respect. That means that I followed the rules as I understood them and how so many other great show people (not just magicians) managed to achieve success as ENTERTAINERS. Things must flow and have cohesion, what you offer has neither and so long as you keep justifying doing things contrary to how the real world works, you’ll never be taken serious. . . and I’m not saying you have to compromise when it comes to doing a Variety Show, only that you need to put it together in a way that offers perspective and a coherent path. Look at guys like Rudy Colby and Kevin James or Sylvester the Jester. . . all of their shows are whimsical and filled with an abundance of different bits but they all have form as well as polish.

Stop being stubborn and acting like a spoilt child. If you honestly like magic then learn how to do each effect you wish to present as smooth and flawless as possible. Learn all you can about the mechanics, the variations and ways you might be able to improve – tailor the effect to your own set of quirks and unique perspectives; keep it identifiable, but discover alternative approaches of execution and framing the effects so as to accentuate YOU as the showman/mystery man.

Same goes with your Juggling. . .it has to have a proper set-up vs. random insertion. You don’t suddenly start juggling in the middle of a card trick UNLESS these antics have a VALID tie-in. Someone could be thinking of a card, for an example and through your juggling you manage to spell out the name of the card or some such. . . it’s a creative demonstration of skill and cleverness that works with everything else you are doing.

Do us all a big favor and give this deep consideration before you find yourself on the outside looking in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results