Monarch Collectors Guide

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
So I was surfing around and found this recent post by a collector that was really well put together with pictures about all the variants of the monarch decks. Thought I'd share.

https://unitedcardists.com/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=15110

As for accuracy, I don't know all the details, but I do recall Lyle saying that the Prerelease and V1 packing was identical, so I'm not sure about the cello detail. I will have to check my decks when I get home.

Reactions: byronblaq

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
So I was surfing around and found this recent post by a collector that was really well put together with pictures about all the variants of the monarch decks. Thought I'd share.

https://unitedcardists.com/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=15110

As for accuracy, I don't know all the details, but I do recall Lyle saying that the Prerelease and V1 packing was identical, so I'm not sure about the cello detail. I will have to check my decks when I get home.

Very detailed, though you can ignore pretty much ever single thing said about the cellophane (unless you are just trying to collect every single tiny variant). The cellphone changes frequently, and in some cases multiple times in the same printing. The cellophane CANNOT be used to determine pre-release Monarch decks from the 1st Official Printing (V1) Monarchs, no matter how often people try to say it can be. Some of these "Versions" they are quoting are likely from mid-run, when our packaging team ran out of one type of cellophane pull tabs and added the next pack of them. Some people will want to collect them all. Cool. For the vast majority of people, that is major, major overkill.

It is also very silly that they are calling some of these minor variants V3, V4, etc. We (theory11) have given V1, V2, etc labels to some of these decks, and the author of that post (and many others) are giving these V3, V4 names to tiny variants, which makes the naming scheme an absolute disaster. Example: What we call the Red Monarch V2 (which is a major change from the V1, with a completely different type and color of paper for the tuck case) they are calling the V4 because of an update to the info on the bottom flap of the tuck case.

Would be much more accurate to stick to the major version numbering scheme that we use, and then to do 2.1, 2.2, or V2 Variant 1, V2 Variant 2, or V2-a, V2-b, etc.

I list all major versions here, excluding small variants between printings. If you don't care which t11 logo is on the bottom of the tuck case, or which color of pull strip is in your cellophane, this covers things.

// L

RickU

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2013
Very detailed, though you can ignore pretty much ever single thing said about the cellophane (unless you are just trying to collect every single tiny variant). The cellphone changes frequently, and in some cases multiple times in the same printing. The cellophane CANNOT be used to determine pre-release Monarch decks from the 1st Official Printing (V1) Monarchs, no matter how often people try to say it can be. Some of these "Versions" they are quoting are likely from mid-run, when our packaging team ran out of one type of cellophane pull tabs and added the next pack of them. Some people will want to collect them all. Cool. For the vast majority of people, that is major, major overkill.

It is also very silly that they are calling some of these minor variants V3, V4, etc. We (theory11) have given V1, V2, etc labels to some of these decks, and the author of that post (and many others) are giving these V3, V4 names to tiny variants, which makes the naming scheme an absolute disaster. Example: What we call the Red Monarch V2 (which is a major change from the V1, with a completely different type and color of paper for the tuck case) they are calling the V4 because of an update to the info on the bottom flap of the tuck case.

Would be much more accurate to stick to the major version numbering scheme that we use, and then to do 2.1, 2.2, or V2 Variant 1, V2 Variant 2, or V2-a, V2-b, etc.

I list all major versions here, excluding small variants between printings. If you don't care which t11 logo is on the bottom of the tuck case, or which color of pull strip is in your cellophane, this covers things.

// L
I have to agree w Lyle

it’s overkill to suggest cellophane can be used to determine the variant of a deck

if I remove the cellophane for example to see the cards - then does that revert my v4 to a v2??

it’s ridiculous

Reactions: Justin.Morris
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results