Most Helpful Advice Going Into 2018

http://www.magicmagazine.com/live/v...nterest&utm_medium=email&utm_content=bodyLink

Click that link, read the article, and watch the video. You can thank me later. ;)

In all seriousness though, I'm so happy that this study was conducted. It confirmed a lot theories I had about how laymen perceive magic (in particularly the card magic part) as well as new things I had never considered such as the importance of the introduction.

Would love to have a discussion on these findings with you all! Here's to a great 2018 for everyone!

Jul 26, 2016
This was a fascinating article/study and videotaped interview. I believe it will be useful for any magician to check it out. As with Tyler, the study confirmed several theories and suspicions I have had for quite some time. Mentalism, and particularly mind reading effects, where the spectator is directly involved - as in where his/her mind is "read" - is the most popular branch of the conjuring arts. I remember years ago when my act was heavily laden with card tricks because, like so many magicians, I love card magic. But then, I would have people ask me at events, "Do you have some other tricks that aren't card tricks?" or words to that effect. That's when I started incorporating other material like ropes, cups and balls, egg bag, sponge balls or multiplying rabbits, and various mental magic effects, and I started getting better overall reactions and more work.

That being said, I always perform Signed Card on Ceiling whenever I can, as well as Magician Versus Gambler and Out of this World )OOTW), as those effects invariable get great reactions. I think it is because Card on Ceiling is so different and so spectacular, Magician Versus Gambler is a great story with a beautiful, magical surprise ending, and speaking of surprises, OOTW is a miracle apparently accomplished completely by the spectator in his/her own hands. I have long thought that what gives a trick the most punch is a great surprise ending - and the study confirms this, as most laymen who participated, by far, cited the element of surprise as the thing they liked most about magic.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results