Must-learn flourishes for beginners?

May 5, 2015
Hi all.

I have a feeling this is very likely to be an old topic already broached; if so it won't hurt my feelings to close the thread and redirect me to another one, but I had the urge to ask this question here: what are some must-learn flourishes for beginner cardists?

Looking for any and all opinions. Whether it's a flourish you wished you had learned earlier, a flourish you think would set a good foundation, or whether you think there's no right way to start out but just to crack into learning stuff.

Note: I understand the importance of basic one-handeds like Charlie or revolution, basic understanding of grips, basic fans, etc. I am hoping to spark a conversation about beginner flourishes in the sense of combined moves that can be part of a routine.

Hope to have some good conversation here! As a magician moving into cardistry, it feels like using a known tool to do a foreign task sometimes, but I'm lovin' the learning process!

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
I started with Revolution and Charlier. Then I moved immediately into advanced territory with one handed shuffle, muse cut, and teachwrap.

I wish I learned how to do scissor cut and thumb cuts sooner, as I'm starting cuts now that require those as prerequisites.
But aside from that, I think scissor cuts only teach the beginner that some cuts require finger stretching. And I learned that with Muse Cut.

I do magic as well and I SHOULD learn how to do a proper fan as I work with card stuff a lot. Anyway.

I think that Charlier, Revolution, and Scissor and MUST-DOs for the beginner cardist. I don't think learning a fan is necessary. At least I don't see what fundamentals one would learn or take away from it that you could get from the flourishes mentioned above.

Jun 13, 2013
I wish i learned to faro earlier when starting, comes into play quite abit later on with more advanced moves.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results