My fear of asking people

Sep 1, 2010
hey guys, ever since i started magic i've had people come up to me and they ask for magic instead of me asking them because i have a fear of asking people, when i think about it, it's pretty lame. this isn't good if i wanna keep doing magic and i want to do something about it.

can anyone give me tips or just tell me what to do? thanks :D

If you are well rehearsed then performing should not be a problem. The right time to do magic is when YOU want to.

As for your fear of talking to people, I understand where you're coming from. I used to be a shy guy who was afraid of talking to people but what I did to remedy that was just to start talking to them. Make small talk, forget about doing magic. Get confident in your social interactions don't let magic be your crutch. Develop a personality and then do your magic thing.

Jun 20, 2009
near paris
hey guys, ever since i started magic i've had people come up to me and they ask for magic instead of me asking them because i have a fear of asking people, when i think about it, it's pretty lame. this isn't good if i wanna keep doing magic and i want to do something about it.

can anyone give me tips or just tell me what to do? thanks :D

anyway, the worth question is:"do you want to see some magic ?" don't ask them do it, it's a tip from top magicians like Jay Sankey, David Stone, etc...
choose three effects and do them "perfectly" and perfom for different people, not just friend and family cause they know you too much, and they sometimes like to messed your trick up, i prefer perform for stranger than friends or family i'm more confident that way

Sep 2, 2007
London
Fear of approaching people to perform is a form of stage fright, which can affect even the best and most experienced performers. It's nothing to do with how good or well-rehearsed you are. In Derren Brown's Confessions of a Conjuror he recounts how he would procrastinate interminably before introducing himself to a table when he was a restaurant magician. Of course, it can be made easier, and there are ways of practicing the approach.

Here's a plan:

1. Make a list of various types of group. So, this could include a young couple, a small group of older men, a family with children, a large group of older people, etc.

2. Go out on the street and, starting at the top of your list, look for each type of group. Approach each one in turn, get their attention and ask for the time (or directions, or some other small favour).

3. When you're comfortable approaching these various kinds of group, repeat the procedure, except, this time, have a funny line prepared. Along with asking the favour, deliver your line and try and get a laugh.

4. Now, you've effectively learnt to approach various groups and perform for them. So, now you can add in a magic trick. Just one to begin with. Choose a short, strong effect, and, instead of asking for directions, ask if they'd mind watching something you've been practicing.

I think you get the idea. Effectively, you're training yourself to feel comfortable interacting with different types of group, and eliciting a specific response. Hope that helps!

Jul 17, 2010
I think it was Jay Sankey who said "never ask people if they wanna see magic, cause their unqualified to answer"

I think it's a sweet quote...

....that's all I got lol

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results