My First Gig

Aug 14, 2014
I am 16 and I have my first semi-official gig coming up in September at a party for little kids. I have done magic for groups of adults and teens, but the children will be 5-7 years old so I know some things that require more comprehension will not work. I was thinking that tricks that are more visual will be the best idea such as dress code and maybe a sequence using Messado Rings and maybe some things with flash paper. Besides that I do not have any other ideas so that's where you guys come in. What sort of tricks would you recommend? How long do you think the performance should last? How should I go dressed? Etc.

P.S. Money will not be an issue, so if you recommend buying extra materials or something that is fine.

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
I was in the same boat as you for awhile. I never did kids shows, but now I think that kids shows are a great way to make some extra cash and imo they are actually easier to perform. Id say stick to the classics (closing book, sponge balls, thumb tip, mouth coils, color changing hanky,rope tricks, etc.). The more visual the better. Avoid card tricks if possible (unless it is something visual like manipulation). Kids don't really understand the values of the cards so pick a card tricks will fall flat.

I like your idea of using the linking rings and flash paper. Fire is definitely gunna get their attention. Just make sure you are extremely careful and never ignite flash paper in close proximity to your audience.

You can use props they may recognize too (pokemon cards and frozen themed cards will work better than a regular deck because they can relate.

Hope this helps!

Aug 14, 2014
I was in the same boat as you for awhile. I never did kids shows, but now I think that kids shows are a great way to make some extra cash and imo they are actually easier to perform. Id say stick to the classics (closing book, sponge balls, thumb tip, mouth coils, color changing hanky,rope tricks, etc.). The more visual the better. Avoid card tricks if possible (unless it is something visual like manipulation). Kids don't really understand the values of the cards so pick a card tricks will fall flat.

I like your idea of using the linking rings and flash paper. Fire is definitely gunna get their attention. Just make sure you are extremely careful and never ignite flash paper in close proximity to your audience.

You can use props they may recognize too (pokemon cards and frozen themed cards will work better than a regular deck because they can relate.

Hope this helps!

How long would you recommend a show to last? I was thinking around 30 minutes and then I'll walk around during the party and do some close up stuff.

Aug 14, 2014
That is actually perfect. For kids shows they start to get restless around the 30-40 min mark so it may be best to keep your set around 30 mins or so. Then you can stroll and do some magic for the adults afterwards! :)

Thank you so much, and my final question would be, how much would you say to charge? I haven't charged them yet because the show isn't until September and I told them I'd get back to them. Again thank you very much.

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
Thank you so much, and my final question would be, how much would you say to charge? I haven't charged them yet because the show isn't until September and I told them I'd get back to them. Again thank you very much.

This is a question that people ask me quite frequently. Honestly there is no real answer. It all depends on several factors; Your experience, who the event is for, how many people will be there, is it strolling or formal close-up, is it private or public, is it family or corporate, is it a wedding... all of these things factor together.

You said you are 16 and this is your first gig/professional show. I would probably not charge a whole lot. I would use this more as a learning experience. once you have a better understanding of how things work and the market, then you can start upping your price and really promoting yourself! I don't know how much to tell you to charge though. All I can tell you is how much I used to charge vs. how much I charge now (almost 10 years later).

Here are my ballpark quotes (again it depends on the client but generally I base my rates off this).

What I charged back in the day:
-Family/kids/or any kind of private close-up gig $50 per hour
-Wedding $100 per hour
-Restaurant FREE (work for tips)
-corporate $100 per hour

What I charge now:
-Kids show $250 for 45 mins (close-up only)
-Kids show $350 for 1.5 hours (3o min close-up show and 1 hour magic lesson or strolling. As soon as i learn balloons I will be able to do that as well!)
-Family/Private formal close-up show $300 hour
-Family/Private Strolling $200 per hour (2 hour min)
-Corporate and or wedding Strolling $300 per hour (2 hour min)
-Restaurant $50 per hour plus tips (2 hour min)

So as you can see, my rates have change quite a bit. But that was years of testing and seeing both what people are willing to pay and what I am worth. People are more inclined to spend the extra money on me because they can go back and see my experience (videos, reviews, blogs, resume). Skill almost isn't a big part of it. I know plenty of great performers who charge boat loads more than I do and don't have very much technical skill.

Hope any of this helps. :)

-Michael

P.S. remember, you need to decide yourself what you think you are worth and weigh all the variables! :)

Jun 13, 2013
First off congrats on the show.

I currently do a show three times a week at a theme park resort hotel and once or twice a week I work in the restaurant there.

I both places I do card tricks, so you can do them. The presentation and patter will help greatly for them. I perform as a wizard with a pet Dragon. In my main show I have a child select a card and sign it and my Dragon keeps moving my card to more and more ridiculous places ending with the card in a golden egg that the Dragon has been holding onto since the beginning of the show. I do another effect where I have a child make their selected card rise from the deck using a magic wand. ( just use sleeper here)

In both cases it's not about the card as much as what the card is doing. But this makes a card trick all about showmanship so use at your own discretion.

For effects to use you might want to look into pop haydns comedy linking ring routine. It's a great way to use the rings and it goes over super well with kids. It's a nice change to a standard linking ring routine

You might also look into some levitation effects. Losander, mesika are great sources for levitation and kids eat it up

Fiber Optics by Richard Sanders is a great resource for rope magic

Axtell magic white board is great too if you have the budget and some ventriloquist skills.

I will just say what Michael has said for pricing. Just starting out don't go big, but it can't hurt to try a little higher than you want to work down to it.

Best of luck man!

Based on my experience, the more you can get children to participate the better. I love using a Rising Card Deck ( or Sleeper) and making them believe that they are in fact causing the effect to happen. Smoke magic works good to as long as it is done in a way that makes sense and mysterious way. Fire will always get their attention, just remember to be careful with it because you will never know how children react to it. And of course the classics are excellent workers for kids.

Best wishes,
-T

What kind of routine or sequence would you recommend?
I always recommend an opening that is quick and to the point but highly visual. Remember children have a very short attention span. If you could afford it, something along the lines of Pyro, Meteors, or Bowl-A-Rama would work wonders in this situation but let's assume you are on a budget. I would perhaps make a coin or small object appear or disappear in a cloud of smoke if you are able to do that. It's quick and easy to understand and now you would have their attention.

After you have a solid opening, I would then ask for a volunteer because then the children want to be a part of something they now think of as cool. At this part it would be great if you could give them souvenier effect such as The Gift. This will keep the children's attention because now they want to not only be a part of your show, they want to be good and get a free gift. You can vary this part of routine with several different effects that gets the children involved and possibly gives away souveniers.

To close, I would do an effect that they will remember better than any other effect. Fire would be good here, dove magic if you are familiar with it (children love seeing animals), or maybe a mouth coil if you could really sell it.

If you want, write up a routine of what you are thinking and I as well as others can give you feedback on it. That's what I try to do when I'm about to perform a gig.

Hmm....let me try writing up a quick routine that might get kid interested in your show.

Magician walks up in front of audience and places a box of Oreos on the table.
Magician:"Who here likes Oreos?" *waits for children to raise their hands* "Me too. In fact I love them so much, I spit them out and eat them again!"
  • Cookie Bite by Eric Ross
Magician then calls up a volunteer that would like to participate in eating Oreos.
Magician:"So how do you like to eat your Oreos? I like to first open them up and then eat the cream filling first do you? But I do it a little bit differently to where I can get even more cream than before. Watch~"
  • Overstuft by Bizzaro
Magician then goes into a discussion about he likes to do dangerous things but he can only do them since he has special magic powers and not to ever repeat what the magican does. (You may not want to do this part in case you are worried children will try to replicate this stunt).
Magician pulls out razor blade and explains the plot and magnitude of how dangerous it is what he is about to do.
  • Cookie Cutter by Dan Sperry
Magician then explains how he hates how Oreos make his mouth all "icky" and that he needs breath mints to freshen up.
From there you can either do:
  • Linking Lifesavers
  • Saw
*If you do saw, I think that would be powerful enough for a good closer.

This was just a quick routine that I whipped up just to give you an example of what I was talking about. Hopefully you find this helpful.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I am 16 and I have my first semi-official gig coming up in September at a party for little kids.

Congratulations. The key here is that you need to do a show rather than a series of tricks. The presentation is extremely important in that you need to be ENTERTAINING.

I have done magic for groups of adults and teens, but the children will be 5-7 years old so I know some things that require more comprehension will not work.

Agreed. You need to keep the effects easy to comprehend. But then again, if your spectator in any performance can't explain what happened in a sentence, then your magic is too complicated.

I was thinking that tricks that are more visual will be the best idea such as dress code and maybe a sequence using Messado Rings and maybe some things with flash paper.

It depends on what you mean as visual. Typical magician eye candy doesn't do well with kids. The props need to be larger and more visual. Messado Rings is close up - for a kids show you want standard 10 or 12 inch rings. Don't use flash paper or other with kids aged 5 to 7. It is likely to upset the parents.

I think that kids shows are a great way to make some extra cash and imo they are actually easier to perform.

I disagree. Kids are more challenging to perform because they won't sit politely and watch if your show sucks. They will express their opinion -- either verbally or by acting up (wandering around, talking to their friends or causing other disruptions.

I'd say stick to the classics (closing book, sponge balls, thumb tip, mouth coils, color changing hanky,rope tricks, etc.). The more visual the better. Avoid card tricks if possible (unless it is something visual like manipulation). Kids don't really understand the values of the cards so pick a card tricks will fall flat.

Classics work well, but make sure there is strong magic and presentation. A bunch of quick, simple "visual" tricks will have them lose interest quickly. I assume you mean coloring book -- I would avoid that because it requires a really good magician to do anything that isn't hackned and trite.

Effects with cards work as long as the effect simply requires remembering the name of a single card. I"ve successfully done a lot of card tricks for that age group such as the invisible deck, color separations, card to impossible location (wallet, nested boxes, etc.). Aldo Colombini and Rachel Wild Colombini have some great kids card effects such as Punch My Match (using two hole punches) and Animal Capers.

Fire is definitely gunna get their attention. Just make sure you are extremely careful and never ignite flash paper in close proximity to your audience.

DO NOT USE FIRE. You are in someone's home and if a piece of flash paper hits a sofa or the carpet and singes it, do you have enough money to replace it? If a child sees you lighting a piece of flash paper with a lighter and try it at home with a regular piece of paper and burn themselves, what will you say to the parents?

How long would you recommend a show to last? I was thinking around 30 minutes and then I'll walk around during the party and do some close up stuff.

Do 30 minutes without the walk around. The kids will have moved on to other things (like cake) and will be difficult to keep their attention.

I really need some context to answer this question. Who is hiring you (is it a friend of the family or someone who saw you perform)? How did they ask you (was it in the sense of giving you an opportunity to perform or hiring you to perform)? How good are you (how long have you been performing and what groups have you performed for)?

This is a question that people ask me quite frequently. Honestly there is no real answer. It all depends on several factors; Your experience, who the event is for, how many people will be there, is it strolling or formal close-up, is it private or public, is it family or corporate, is it a wedding... all of these things factor together.

Good advice. I suspect charging around $75 would be reasonable without knowing the circumstances. I would let them know that you normally charge $150 but you are doing shows at half that rate to get our name out there. That way, you can gradually raise your rate ("well, I used to give 50% discounts, but now I'n only doing a $50 discount).

Also, don't be afraid to negotiate a price with them too. Sometimes if I know I want at least $200 an hour I may quote them $250 an hour and give room to negotiate. That way if I say $200 per hour, they can't lowball you.

From a business standpoint, you are better off having a standard rate and not negotiating. That avoids people paying different prices for the same service.

In both cases it's not about the card as much as what the card is doing. But this makes a card trick all about showmanship so use at your own discretion.

Excellent advice and good recommendations

Based on my experience, the more you can get children to participate the better. I love using a Rising Card Deck ( or Sleeper) and making them believe that they are in fact causing the effect to happen. Smoke magic works good to as long as it is done in a way that makes sense and mysterious way. Fire will always get their attention, just remember to be careful with it because you will never know how children react to it. And of course the classics are excellent workers for kids.

Good advice, but again, NO FIRE WITH KIDS!

I always recommend an opening that is quick and to the point but highly visual. Remember children have a very short attention span. If you could afford it, something along the lines of Pyro, Meteors, or Bowl-A-Rama would work wonders in this situation but let's assume you are on a budget. I would perhaps make a coin or small object appear or disappear in a cloud of smoke if you are able to do that. It's quick and easy to understand and now you would have their attention.

After you have a solid opening, I would then ask for a volunteer because then the children want to be a part of something they now think of as cool. At this part it would be great if you could give them souvenier effect such as The Gift. This will keep the children's attention because now they want to not only be a part of your show, they want to be good and get a free gift. You can vary this part of routine with several different effects that gets the children involved and possibly gives away souveniers.

To close, I would do an effect that they will remember better than any other effect. Fire would be good here, dove magic if you are familiar with it (children love seeing animals), or maybe a mouth coil if you could really sell it.

If you want, write up a routine of what you are thinking and I as well as others can give you feedback on it. That's what I try to do when I'm about to perform a gig.

Did I mention....NO FIRE!!!! NO THROWING FIREBALLS. NO SMOKE.

Children's magic depends on presentation and entertainment value, not fire, smoke and quick visual tricks. You want to get their interest for the show and not just their attention for a split second.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
For kids magic, go and watch videos of David Ginn. You will see that there is a sort of silliness to the interaction. You really need to pick effects that allow a lot of interaction and comedy with the kids. David's videos demonstate a lot of great effects for kids. I tend to stay away from anything that looks like it came from a magic shop in the 1960 (e.g. Hippity Hoppity Rabbits, Run Rabbit Run, Stratosphere, etc.).

To be successful in children's shows, you need to develop a professional looking show. This means having nice looking props and something to carry them in, being well dressed, having routines that are practiced and rehearsed and being comfortable in managing the children.

I think a rope routine like Professor's Nightmare would be great. I like classics like Linking Rings and the Zombie Ball. Six Card Repeat is a great opener (tell them that seeing that effect is what got you interested in magic). Sponge Balls are always fun with the kids. Silk magic works well with a change bag (that is the one magic looking prop I actually use). You can do a lot of stuff with a Devil's Handkerchief. The Wild Colombini card tricks I mentioned above are great. Classics like invisible deck work well. You could probably do a whole show from Mark Wilson's Complete Course.

I'd be glad to help you develop you show, just shoot me a PM.

Reactions: obrienmagic
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results