My New Video

Sep 6, 2009
Cincinnati
Thanks, yes the video was just something quick I threw together. My next longer one will have better location.

And thanks about the move at :21, I've had fun with that one.

Sep 1, 2007
The whole thing went so quickly that all the moves sort of blurred together. I as a viewer shouldn't have to keep rewinding to see what I missed because I blinked. The editing didn't help either. Half of the cuts seem to say, "Hell, enough with this shot, let's try another!" There really wasn't any time to absorb what was going on and the repeat of the fan with slow motion and sepia tone just felt redundant.

Honestly, I would tell you to pace things a bit and vary your speed at the right moments to give the audience enough time to take in what you're doing. Fewer cuts would be great. I've always believed that card work looks better when there's a definite flow and rhythm to the routine.

If not that, make the editing a little tighter. Making a good video takes just as much skill and experience as performing a really good magic routine. Sacrificing good video production skills for fancy flourishes defeats the whole point of committing the performance to video.

Sep 6, 2009
Cincinnati
Thanks for the solid feedback, Steerpike. Yes, I realize it was really fast. Some poeple at UC and HL thought it was sped up :D.

As I'm not super experienced in the art, I'm still experimenting with things like rhytm, flow and routines.

Thanks for the editing advice too, I'll kee that in mind.

Cheers

Sep 1, 2007
To learn how to get rhythm and flow in doing a video, you watch movies. To develop rhythm in a real-time performance, you watch live performances and it wouldn't hurt to go to the theater now and again.

Allow me to put on my nerd pants for a second and recommend you see Avatar if you haven't already. James Cameron has many faults as both a filmmaker (his ham-fisted approach to dialog) and as a person (kind of a prick), but if there's one thing he does extremely well it's directing action sequences. And Avatar is probably the best action sequence he has ever directed in his entire career. Seriously, the aerial dogfight sequence is a masterpiece of how to put action on screen.

Really good action directors are great to learn pacing for short sequences with a lot of activity. Their task is to keep things moving while also giving you time to process what's happening on screen without getting lost. It's a delicate balance, but a good director knows how to pull it off.

You have the advantage that you only have to keep track of one person; that is, yourself. But the trade-off is that you can't also use "fights are chaotic" as an excuse to fall back on when things get too messy.

Sep 3, 2007
To learn how to get rhythm and flow in doing a video, you watch movies. To develop rhythm in a real-time performance, you watch live performances and it wouldn't hurt to go to the theater now and again.

Don't tell me we are in the 16th Century. The last time I heard Movies were the big thing now. Theater went out of style already.

Peace Alex.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results