My Respect for Criss Angel is Higher Than it Used to Be.

Sep 1, 2007
I highly respect Penn Jillette and Teller (does he have a last name?), not just as magicians, but also as intelligent people, not unwilling to challenge popular thought. I recently listened to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtlpkjGXQeQ&mode=related&search=

An interview that Penn does with Criss Angel. It made me realize that I was wrong about Criss. He's not pretending to be Jesus--well, actually he is, but that's just it. He's pretending. I still hate his aesthetic style--I just don't dig the "goth-emo whatever the hell it is" look (and yes, I know the difference between "goth" and "emo" [unfortunately]).

If Criss dressed up in a mime suit, I might enjoy his stuff more (and not just his stuff, but his performances too).

Criss Angel is the Sylvester Stallone of magic (Judge Dredd, obviously. he's not quite cool enough to be Rambo).

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
Ya maybe, before I got into magic he seemed alright, but after I got into it a year later he's got the worst look. Some of his magic I do enjoy watching, but his LOOK NO! he looks like the new age of Good Charlotte. I'll stop ranting

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
I have no idea why he would say all that, most people would think he doesn't have supernatural powers anyways. I thought he should have kept that part a mystery just because there are a lot of stupid people out there. I enjoy magic as an optical illusion, not so much as the devil as some people refer to magicians

Ya know, just he because the look doesn't fit you, doesn't mean it doesn't fit anyone. That is part of how we differ ourselves. That's the image he goes for, just leave it at that.

Usually, I don't claim supernatural powers, but explain to someone how you know what they are thinking without telling them the secret. If you are going to bash Angel, bash him for performing an effect horribly, or even being rude or something like that somone in public, but not for who he is.

I actually respect him more after this interview. You can be all magic purist where it's all about the magic, but Criss remembers that a big part of it is the show. I'm not a big fan of his goth image either, nor of how he generally comes across in his show. The thing I do like however is his dedication to the performance, he has a style and he makes the magic work inside it, he does it so well in fact that he has people believing that what he does is real. If that's not magic, what is?

Sep 2, 2007
I have no idea why he would say all that, most people would think he doesn't have supernatural powers anyways. I thought he should have kept that part a mystery just because there are a lot of stupid people out there. I enjoy magic as an optical illusion, not so much as the devil as some people refer to magicians

Yeah, you'd think that, but I happen to have the misfortune of belonging to Criss Angel's Loyal Community fan forum, and I swear to Loki there are people on there who believe Criss Angel's magic is 100% real, bonified Voodoo. There is no room in their minds for Criss Angel to be anything but a god, no matter what anybody says. In fact, I immediately posted this interview on those forums after listening to it. We'll see how much good it does.

Anyway, why would this interview make you respect him less? He's very down-to-earth, and he's very honest about what he does. He says that some of it is BS, and some of it isn't. He admits to using stooges (a tried and true element of magic that I think magicians should embrace rather than reject). He says the whole bit about not having powers or believing in the supernatural. If anything, I respect him more.

And guess what? Criss is performing for an audience, both those on camera and those seated at home. If you don't like him for some reason. . . his look, his material, his attitude, etc. . . then guess what? You're not his audience, and there's no reason for you to watch him.

Sep 1, 2007
Amsterdam
Criss is a good performer, his audiances are entertained by what he is doing, that is what counts. not how his reputation among the magicians are. As long as he makes his audiences having the best time of their lives, who are u to judge?

Sep 4, 2007
Kansas City
Criss Angel is not "goth". Just because someone dresses in black, ears shiny silver jewelry and such does not a "goth" make. Criss Angel is a rockstar. He lives the lifestyle and has some of the best promotion ever. The fact that we are all sitting here talking about him in at least over 50 different threads attests to that.

Do I think CA is the best magician ever? Hell no. But I tell you what, he's got rocking PR.

Alls I'm saying is don't hate on someone because they're popular or famous or successful. Personally, I have a hard time believing any of you wouldn't change places with him.

Sean.Cinco

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Orlando, FL
www.seancinco.com
I actually liked his image from Supernatural than his current image. However, this season of Mindfreak went down the drain for me. Lots of talking, making a car appear or disappear, levitating, more talking about the stunt, then the stunt. That's pretty much how every episode went. I sure hope that he picks everything up for his show opening next year.

Sep 1, 2007
My Bad

Oh Snap!

That was an unfortunate typo!

The title should actually have read: "My Respect for Criss Angel is LESS low than it used to be.

Damn. This entire time I've been giving the impression that I was some kind of disrespectful Philistine.

My bad.

What you have to realize is that Criss Angel's show isn't directed towards magicians, it is directed towards lay people who are on the other side of the T.V. screen. Even though I'm not a fan of his show, I constantly hear people talking about Criss Angel and how amazing he is. He is obviously doing something right because he is amazing laypeople daily.

Mitchell

Sep 2, 2007
Oh Snap!

The title should actually have read: "My Respect for Criss Angel is LESS low than it used to be.

Damn. This entire time I've been giving the impression that I was some kind of disrespectful Philistine.

My bad.

Wow. That's actually quite hilarious, if you don't mind my saying so. That changes the entire meaning of this thread and your post. Wow.

KatieKenner

that girl who posts videos sometimes / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
www.myspace.com
Oh Snap!

My bad.

Or you could say "My Respect for Criss Angel is HIGHER than it used to be."

Katie

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results