Need help finding the source & past development of this psychic spread force...

Jul 8, 2008
Tintagel
hi guys for the last 3/4 months i've been working on psychic fans/spreads. anyway i continued on and managed to create a force that allows you to spread cards in front of a spectators eyes and ask them to remember one they see and know the one with over 90% accuracy without taking a look at the faces after.

heres a link of it in action
sorry for the bad sound quality

http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=VCKXBIwX21g

i found out recently that the force has already been thought of but i don't know who by or when. i've search varous forums such as magic bunny and here but i haven't been able to find any leads to the source and development of it.

any way what i am asking is can any one shed some light on this subject the original creator and devlopment if possible. i hope if any part of what i do is original i will be most happy.

psychic spreads and fans are awesome but are rarely used i want to find out as much as i can about them and try to push the whole concept further.

thank you for your time
mAtt

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Ummm, theres some very early work of this kind in Erdnase, but for a very in depth look at this type of thing I would recommend Peek Performances and/or Peek Encores by Richard Busch (I believe- my usually encyclopedic memories not serving me today).

CL

Sep 2, 2007
London
I know that Nate Leipzig and Max Malini were instrumental in developing forces of this type. I imagine that you could find some work on them in Dai Vernon's Tribute to Nate Leipzig and The Magic of Max Malini, but (shamefully) I don't own either of them so I can't say for sure.

Check Thought Force in Oz Pearlman's DVD Watch Magic ( or Moving Pips, see their product pages to make sure ).

It is something many magicians have come up with ( if we're talking spreading the deck and trying to force one of the cards to them ). A friend of mine told me that Garret Thomas did it multiple times on him in a lecture, and worked.

David Williamson has an effect in a longer routine ( Cocktail Dazzaler ) that uses it in his Magic Farm DVD.

They are all very similar and no one took credit for it, or gave credit.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Well, it's an EBook, so it ain't gonna be out of print, strictly speaking. I would recommend, if it IS unavailable, contacting the author directly.

I can't help you out on that though, my comps being well slow and every time I try to get back onto Genii it's not happening :(

CL

Jul 8, 2008
Tintagel
No problemo dude, that's what we're here for!

I did a little digging around for you and found this, you may be interested...

http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=142798#Post142798

CL

wow i took a look that is the sort of stuff i love to do. tom baxter reminds me of some one i know at the cornish magicial society phil southwood he does all that stuff thought of ribbon spread, card spray/ribble thought card, fans, spreads the works he taught me all of it very awesome on lock.

great stuff thanks i got to get that ebook some time!

mAtt

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Ah, glad you like the look of it!
I really fancy it myself after reading the review, it seems awesome!

I didn't even realise you were from the UK, holla brother! I'm up in NC in the northeast like.

Seems like you're onto a winner with your mate at the circle like! I really need to learn some fan peeks and stuff :(

CL

Jul 8, 2008
Tintagel
Ah, glad you like the look of it!
I really fancy it myself after reading the review, it seems awesome!

I didn't even realise you were from the UK, holla brother! I'm up in NC in the northeast like.

Seems like you're onto a winner with your mate at the circle like! I really need to learn some fan peeks and stuff :(

CL

i do thought of spread/fans all the time maybe to much to my friends i really enjoy that sort of mentalism with cards i find its one of the strongest things i do. especially when i tell a spec to remember a card while spreading showing them half of the cards in a deck minimum . giving the deck to them and telling the card straight away with no peeks that clean hehhehe that is my favourite and that is the research that im trying to look for but i haven't found any thing exactly like that though but that might change if i read that book. even my friend phil doesn't do that!

if you pm me i can give a discription of a basic thumb fan thought card if you don't know it already its easy to do but doesn' work every time.

thanks for your help again!

mAtt

i only started practising magic since jan i think i'm doing quite well!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results