Need help with routine

Jul 26, 2017
Hi. I just started doing card magic and I need some help in creating a routine. Here are the list of tricks I know:
- Color Changing Deck
- Here Then There
- Jack in the Hole
- 2 Card Monte
- Haunted Deck
- Chicago Opener
- Shuffle Bored
- Joker's Wild
- Biddle Trick
- Ambitious Card
Which tricks do you guys think I should include in my routine? Or are there any other tricks I should learn? Thanks!

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Hi. I just started doing card magic and I need some help in creating a routine. Here are the list of tricks I know:
- Color Changing Deck
- Here Then There
- Jack in the Hole
- 2 Card Monte
- Haunted Deck
- Chicago Opener
- Shuffle Bored
- Joker's Wild
- Biddle Trick
- Ambitious Card
Which tricks do you guys think I should include in my routine? Or are there any other tricks I should learn? Thanks!
I'm assuming all but a couple of these were taught poorly by random YouTube channels? Or someone like DisturbReality or that pig cake guy? Nothing wrong with learning from YouTube if it is taught the correct way and by the right people. Most of this stuff is just meh, unless you really really work on presentation and patter.

You need to learn a lot if you want to really formulate a routine.

Reactions: RealityOne
Jul 26, 2016
The ambitious card was on your list. That is, or can be, a routine in itself. There is no limit to the number of things you can do with that one card; It can, of course jump to the top several times, it can be changed into another card, or another card can be changed into it (by means of top change and/or double lift); it can jump to your pocket or your forehead or under a drink (good way to practice your palming and misdirection); it can visibly jump from the middle of the deck and end up on top face-up (using the classic pass or Hermann pass); it can end up in your wallet or on the ceiling. The possibilities are practically endless, and are limited only by our own imaginations. Many years ago, when I was just starting out as a magician, a friend of mine (who was also a magician) and I went to check out a magician who regularly performed at a local restaurant. To this day, we still agree that the magician we saw that night at our table did the best card routine we had ever seen. He had us sign the card with a sharpie, and off he went, doing most of the effects described above - and more - with that one card. At the end, he pulled out a gold sticker with his name and contact info and stuck it onto the signed card and gave it to us. Just get really good and smooth at one routine like that and you'll blow people away.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
So, let's talk terminology.

An "effect" is what the audiences sees - a card rising to the top, a coin disappearing, etc. A pick a card/ lose a card / find a card trick is a single effect. The Biddle Trick (which has a great history HERE) is an effect.

A "routine" is a series of effects involving the same props (ambitious card, matrix, linking rings, cups & balls, etc.) and the same or different effects. A card effect with multiple phases would be a routine. A routine may be able to involve multiple props. A good example is Pips a Poppin which involves a card effect and sponge balls. Another example would be to make a wand appear and then use it in a cups and balls routine.

A "set" is a series of three or four effects and routines performed in sequence taking ten to fifteen minutes

A "show" is a series of five or more effects and routines performed in sequence taking a half hour to an hour or more.

The effects and routines in a set or show are typically tied together by the magician's character. You also can weave an underlying theme into the set or show through your presentation - that is a bit more difficult.

It sounds like you are trying to develop a "set." Pick effects that transition easily from one to another (i.e. don't have to switch decks). Pick effects that are very different from each other to provide the audience some variety. Pick the effects that you think have the strongest reaction and that showcase your character and presentation.

Reactions: Josh Mickelson
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
The ambitious card was on your list. That is, or can be, a routine in itself. There is no limit to the number of things you can do with that one card; It can, of course jump to the top several times, it can be changed into another card, or another card can be changed into it (by means of top change and/or double lift); it can jump to your pocket or your forehead or under a drink (good way to practice your palming and misdirection); it can visibly jump from the middle of the deck and end up on top face-up (using the classic pass or Hermann pass); it can end up in your wallet or on the ceiling. The possibilities are practically endless, and are limited only by our own imaginations. Many years ago, when I was just starting out as a magician, a friend of mine (who was also a magician) and I went to check out a magician who regularly performed at a local restaurant. To this day, we still agree that the magician we saw that night at our table did the best card routine we had ever seen. He had us sign the card with a sharpie, and off he went, doing most of the effects described above - and more - with that one card. At the end, he pulled out a gold sticker with his name and contact info and stuck it onto the signed card and gave it to us. Just get really good and smooth at one routine like that and you'll blow people away.
Yeah, a routine with a great presentation is good.

However, a beginner mistake that I was guilty of, and I am sure a lot of other people were too, is that we made it boring. If it just keeps jumping to the top with no real change or presentation, it just becomes a card trick without any real wonder. however, if you do what @Al e Cat Dabra has sai in her post, you can make it really engaging.

Jul 26, 2016
Maaz, thanks for your supportive commentary, and I too was guilty of what you mentioned early on in my career. In fact, it took me a long time to catch on to how crucial the aspects of presentation and being entertaining were, and to start tailoring my magic accordingly. (BTW, you have also given me credit for an incredible trick - a magical transformation of miraculous proportions - from a him to a "her.")

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Maaz, thanks for your supportive commentary, and I too was guilty of what you mentioned early on in my career. In fact, it took me a long time to catch on to how crucial the aspects of presentation and being entertaining were, and to start tailoring my magic accordingly. (BTW, you have also given me credit for an incredible trick - a magical transformation of miraculous proportions - from a him to a "her.")
Lol I didn't even notice. My bad :D Reading through the post now, I made a ton of typos.

Reactions: Al e Cat Dabra
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results