Need to get better!

Aug 25, 2016
I started doing card tricks about 5 months ago or so. I practice as much as i can since i work yet i feel that even though i keep learning things i do it at a really slow pace and i can't get clean enough in things like passes. Beeing the classic pass a great example, i can do it, but i can't get consistency and i feel like it looks sloppy. Am i doing something worng like being too impatient, are books really usefull? (i live in Argentina, there's not that much to get to learn) is it just a matter of time and practice?

Reactions: Gabriel Z.

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
You answered your own question. It's about time and practice. Books are the most useful tool you have as far as a magician, that .... and a pack of cards :D. The Royal Road to Card Magic mentions in so many words that the pass is a difficult move to master. So don't be discouraged if it looks a little sloppy at first. Keep experimenting with the positioning of your fingers.

Reactions: rodrigp
Aug 25, 2016
You answered your own question. It's about time and practice. Books are the most useful tool you have as far as a magician, that .... and a pack of cards :D. The Royal Road to Card Magic mentions in so many words that the pass is a difficult move to master. So don't be discouraged if it looks a little sloppy at first. Keep experimenting with the positioning of your fingers.
Thanks, i'm really impatient and i don't have much faith in me, but well, i'll keep practicing and my next investment will definitely be a book.

Reactions: Gabriel Z.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Argentina -- the home of the most wonderful and amazing Rene Lavand... Find his performances on YouTube

The pass is an amazingly difficult and substantially useless sleight. You could go a career in magic without learning or using that sleight.

Focus on learning effects (what most people call tricks, but I don't do tricks). Perform the effects for people. Don't worry about learning sleights for the sake of learning them worry about learning sleights that you need to know to perform effects you want to perform.

Books are amazing. There is so much interesting material there. For the price of a DVD, you get four times as much to work with in a book.

There are the classics like Royal Road to Card Magic, Scarne on Card Tricks, Encyclopedia of Card Tricks, The Magic of Paul LePaul, Expert Card Technique, Card Control, Expert at the Card Table, Counts, Moves and Subtleties. There are the excellent books by Roberto Giobbi in the Card College and Card College Light series. Classics like Stars of Magic, books like Jennings 67, and the Secrets of Brother John Hammon, here are great books by folks like John Bannon, Paul Harris, John Gustaferro, Tom Stone, David Acer and so much more.

Aug 10, 2016
You know, to master sleight of hand like david blaine or andrei jikh you gotta practice, practice, practice and yeah. For at least 10 years. Man, those guys are experienced. And to be like disturb reality or 52 kards, it'll take you a year, if not two. But believe me, THE TIME COMES WITH A REWARD. Even I have to see if that's true or not, though. Cuz this is my 4th month of cardistry.

Reactions: rodrigp
Aug 25, 2016
Argentina -- the home of the most wonderful and amazing Rene Lavand... Find his performances on YouTube

The pass is an amazingly difficult and substantially useless sleight. You could go a career in magic without learning or using that sleight.

Focus on learning effects (what most people call tricks, but I don't do tricks). Perform the effects for people. Don't worry about learning sleights for the sake of learning them worry about learning sleights that you need to know to perform effects you want to perform.

Books are amazing. There is so much interesting material there. For the price of a DVD, you get four times as much to work with in a book.

There are the classics like Royal Road to Card Magic, Scarne on Card Tricks, Encyclopedia of Card Tricks, The Magic of Paul LePaul, Expert Card Technique, Card Control, Expert at the Card Table, Counts, Moves and Subtleties. There are the excellent books by Roberto Giobbi in the Card College and Card College Light series. Classics like Stars of Magic, books like Jennings 67, and the Secrets of Brother John Hammon, here are great books by folks like John Bannon, Paul Harris, John Gustaferro, Tom Stone, David Acer and so much more.
Thakn you so much for the info

Aug 25, 2016
You know, to master sleight of hand like david blaine or andrei jikh you gotta practice, practice, practice and yeah. For at least 10 years. Man, those guys are experienced. And to be like disturb reality or 52 kards, it'll take you a year, if not two. But believe me, THE TIME COMES WITH A REWARD. Even I have to see if that's true or not, though. Cuz this is my 4th month of cardistry.
We're the noobs hahahah

Jan 28, 2015
It can be frustrating at times but don't give up. I too was in your shoes years ago. Remember its an art that needs practice to perfect. There are many different versions and styles of sleights out there; some may work for you and some may not. Choose the sleights that you feel comfortable doing and practice the @#$% out of them.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results