Negative Feedback From People

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Most of my schooling took place in rural PA. The town I lived in had a population of 300 at that time. I don't have data for the number of students, but in 2010 they reported 936 students for all of grades 9-12, because students from the neighboring towns also went to my school.

And trust me, students today probably have no more time on their hands than I did. While the specific techniques used to teach may change, school as a whole doesn't really.

Jul 26, 2016
I don't know. Every other person in my high school carries cards. Maybe its a regional thing, or maybe its just the fact that we have a lot more time on our hands in school these days.

It's been a hella long time since I was in high school. Gotta say, though, I really enjoyed it - in fact, the 15 happiest years of my life! As far as anyone having any cards in their possession, it was mainly just twice a year when people had their Report Cards (and a bottle of Whiteout).

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
All I know is that both in my middle school, and in high school right now, people carry decks of cards all the time. It might be a regional thing, both places I've lived were pretty densely populated, and in the area of a huge city (Philly & DC)

Jul 26, 2016
Well, times DO change, and I can see it where it might be more prevalent in big cities, and especially since the exposure to, and popularity of, magic and cardistry has skyrocketed in recent times, due in large measure to P& T Fool Us, America's Got Talent etc., and yes, for better or worse, certainly YouTube.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Well, times DO change, and I can see it where it might be more prevalent in big cities, and especially since the exposure to, and popularity of, magic and cardistry has skyrocketed in recent times, due in large measure to P& T Fool Us, America's Got Talent etc., and yes, for better or worse, certainly YouTube.
Yeah, though not many people do too many magic tricks. I mean, every once in a while people show each other a trick or 2, but there are only 2 kids who actually do stuff with the cards outside of games. One does some cardistry and the other magic (hint: I'm the magician).

People play games all the time. My English teacher used to let us play BS whenever we finished our work, or during a movie. Lets just say we finished our work fast in that class :D My Study hall teacher was a hug poker player through college, even went into dealing & how to catch cheating classes. Taught us how to play like 3 forms of black jack. Lunch had entire tables of kids just playing card games, though I didn't normally play.

Jul 26, 2016
Yeah, it's an odd thing that most magicians I've met, or encountered online, do not play card games. Christopher, you and myself being 3 immediate examples. But many do perform gambling routines and demonstrations. When well-performed, these are generally quite well received because most peoples' acquaintance and familiarity with cards are as tools for card games they play or have played, and they can directly relate to tricks and routines centered around card games such as poker and Blackjack, which are widely known and played. Plus, there is the gambling lure that attracts people's interest and emotions, given many people's dreams of hitting it big in Vegas, Reno, Monte Carli or Atlantic City. They are also fascinated on how gamblers cheat and hustle. I would be curious to know which card games are popular at your school, as it may provide a good clue for some routines that could be developed or adapted, and that would be popular among people in contemporary times. I would imagine that Poker and Blackjack still remain favorites and will continue to be, far into the future, although these days, many people are more familiar with Texas Hold-em than Draw or Stud Poker - probably due to the televised Texas Hold'em big stakes events. I have been working on a Blackjack routine, as you would be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't know or hasn't played that game, and blackjack tricks are fairly uncommon in card magic..

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results