Nerves with the palm

Oct 6, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I can't be the only one to feel this but I never have the nerve to palm something. I know that when presented right the spectator will almost never suspect I have something hidden in my hand. Is this just something I need to accept and then move on and get the nerve to do it?

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I've been performing 18 years and have never palmed anything other than the clear bubble that you get in the Wonder Bubbles trick ha ha. I think it is a very powerful tool in an arsenal yes, but nothing I have even felt the need to use in my show or performances. I wouldn't lose sleep over it ha. Just try it a few times and if you get called out on it you get called out on it and try to improve upon the technique.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
If you need to learn to palm (Which you may not - I rarely palm things), I find the best way to practice being natural is to do it when it's not terribly important. I palm stuff while watching movies, at dinner, during conversations, etc. If someone asks you why your hand looks weird, or why you're holding random objects, you know you need to work on your palming technique.

I'll give you a secret, too. The key to effective palming isn't being able to perfectly conceal an object. It's being relaxed, and BBB - Big Brass B........

Oct 6, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks guys! I don't think it is incredibly important that I palm right now but when I work on it in private it ALWAYS feels incredibly awkward. I feel like the BBB is it. Just have to take a leap and do it! Thanks again

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Just spend some time holding a card or a coin palmed in both hands. Make sure your positioning is correct. Do ordinary things - drink coffee, type, use an iPhone, etc. While you have time - like when watching TV, practice getting into palm. Do a retention vanish of a coin into a palm. Hi sir a card, controll it got the top and then palm it off. Remember, being able to hold something in a palm is worthless unless you can get that thing into palm.

One of my favorite “hanging around” effects is card under glass. There is a great feeling when you can get a spectator’s card under th it glass without them noticing. A close second is card to wallet.

Dec 29, 2017
Everyone has pretty much covered it. Practice with the palming and just doing it. You’d be surprised what you can get away with with cops, palms, etc. Hell, even secretly tearing corners.

Reactions: Mattxdfa
Oct 6, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Yea it's not so much getting it into palm but just having the nerve to do it. Because it is so obvious to me I feel like everyone else can see it.

Nov 27, 2017
Thanks guys! I don't think it is incredibly important that I palm right now but when I work on it in private it ALWAYS feels incredibly awkward. I feel like the BBB is it. Just have to take a leap and do it! Thanks again

Anyway, we cant talk about the topic palming without the topic of misdirection and performance ! I guess during my time in magic ( 14 years now ) IVE NEVER SEEN A PERFECT PALM from a magician. Because It does not exist I guess. So yeah, relax, work on it, but work as much as you can your misdirection tools, your attitude, your Outlook, any of your performance.

And remember, what we can see with "the magicians eye" , cant be seen with the "audience eye". So maybe you are doing it quite good , but you feel you need more and more ( anyway with palming I had the same,all the time feel, it isnt enough, and everybody will catch me, but then nobody of course..)

See this :

or this :

and finally its amazing :

But dont know what you think guys, but I can see every move, and its still amazing, but in my opinion palming without misdirection and in a clear shot will be always seen.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results