Oct 4, 2007
Hey just wanted to say hi. I've just been getting into xcm and all magic in general. I have xb and Iam working on it.
I'm 17 and a lot of people say i'm already too old to be just beginning. But hey, I gotta start sometime!
I was wondering if when you drop lots of cards during practice (I do) do you put the faces back the same way? or just pick them up and flourish out of order? This gets me annoyed.

Also, what should my next purchase be for learning xcm? You know I noticed I dont really like card magic, more other mediums... but xcm is fun for me. Although, many people don't get it and I always get "was I supposed to memorize one of those?" lol

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 14, 2007
P'cola Florida
Your never too old to start magic I know a 45 year old man that started getting into magic after a car accident. I think people love to label things to much.:)

Jul 23, 2007
New York, NY
Your never too old to start magic I know a 45 year old man that started getting into magic after a car accident. I think people love to label things to much.:)
Nice story, but he wasn't talking about magic :)

After XB, I'd recommend looking at the Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes. And I'm sure people will also recommend Dan & Dave's DVDs (Trilogy and the System).

As for re-arranging the cards all facing the same way, that's a funny thing to bring up. I just always put them in the same way. I think as a cardist I focus on looks so much that it hurts me too much to see the cards out of order. Plus, the cards generally tend to bend in a direction, so when just one card is facing the wrong way it can really make your deck off balance and ruin your moves.

Sep 14, 2007
P'cola Florida
Nice story, but he wasn't talking about magic :)

After XB, I'd recommend looking at the Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes. And I'm sure people will also recommend Dan & Dave's DVDs (Trilogy and the System).

As for re-arranging the cards all facing the same way, that's a funny thing to bring up. I just always put them in the same way. I think as a cardist I focus on looks so much that it hurts me too much to see the cards out of order. Plus, the cards generally tend to bend in a direction, so when just one card is facing the wrong way it can really make your deck off balance and ruin your moves.

Same for XCM why do you have to be a certain age to start ?

Maybe Richard can explain to us why.

Oct 4, 2007
Thanks so far guys, i am new to all things magic and flourishing.
My prerequisites are.
born to perform
in the beginning there were coins
XB
trying to be good all around. but im not set on a certain magic itype i like.
my friend has the system, i learned the first flourish. i had to put media player on slow mo and watch slow mo just to begine to comprehend it. im pretty mediocre when it comes to learning. but once i get the moves i practice. i noticed nothing i know yet is near performance speed. but who cares. i like when stuff isnt too fast and people can take in what cool stuff you're doing.
when i told my buddy that when i do xcm no one is impressed he said
"well sure, youjust gotta learn better stuff!"
hopefully thats true because most people are just like lets see a magic trick:rolleyes:

Jul 23, 2007
New York, NY
Same for XCM why do have to be a certain age to start ?

Maybe Richard can explain to us why.
Well, I never said you had to be a certain age to start. Obviously the earlier you start, the more practice you get under your belt before you reach any age. I don't think cardistry is like an extreme sport where you're really best in your 20s-30s because you're physically fit. Sure Dan & Dave are still very young -- they got a long road ahead of them. De'vo and Jerry, however, I'm pretty sure are over 30, if not 40 and they are recognized among the top. Of course they've been working a long time.

I guess it all boils down to how much time you put into it, what kind of dedication you have. Do you want to be a pro, are you fine with just being the best in your area (cuz chances are nobody else in your area does it), or do you just want to learn a thing or two to show off to your buddies. Nothing wrong with any of them, but obviously each goal is going to take a different amount of time.

It could be that if you start earlier while your body is still developing it might affect your growth more, but I don't think anybody's done enough research to make any claims on that :)

Hmm... I probably went overboard on that one.

But really, I really don't think 17 is too late :p

Sep 1, 2007
Amsterdam
there is no such thing as too late, as long as you are having fun at what you are doing, who is there to judge you anywayz.

Sep 14, 2007
P'cola Florida
Well, I never said you had to be a certain age to start. Obviously the earlier you start, the more practice you get under your belt before you reach any age. I don't think cardistry is like an extreme sport where you're really best in your 20s-30s because you're physically fit. Sure Dan & Dave are still very young -- they got a long road ahead of them. De'vo and Jerry, however, I'm pretty sure are over 30, if not 40 and they are recognized among the top. Of course they've been working a long time.

I guess it all boils down to how much time you put into it, what kind of dedication you have. Do you want to be a pro, are you fine with just being the best in your area (cuz chances are nobody else in your area does it), or do you just want to learn a thing or two to show off to your buddies. Nothing wrong with any of them, but obviously each goal is going to take a different amount of time.

It could be that if you start earlier while your body is still developing it might affect your growth more, but I don't think anybody's done enough research to make any claims on that :)

Hmm... I probably went overboard on that one.

But really, I really don't think 17 is too late :p

Very well put Richard sorry if I sounded like I was attacking. I just get really upset when people put labels on things.

Sep 1, 2007
SinMan, i hope you never get a job at the post office.

I think being older is actually an advantage, you have more $$$ to spend on cards & DVDs, you have a more mature outlook on learning (i.e. Training XCM vs Practicing XCM) and your muscles are generally more developed.

heck i started at um, age 25 i hope I'm not too old! lol

SinMan, i hope you never get a job at the post office.

I think being older is actually an advantage, you have more $$$ to spend on cards & DVDs, you have a more mature outlook on learning (i.e. Training XCM vs Practicing XCM) and your muscles are generally more developed.

heck i started at um, age 25 i hope I'm not too old! lol

haha, I lol'd.

Depends, I don't think age matters too much and just take the advice the others have given you so far.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results