Non-educational magic books

Jun 3, 2015
Lake District, UK
I know, I shouldn't have, but for some reason I picked up Dynamo's book (for pennies thankfully) a while ago and as there is currently some wally walking around my flat with a screwdriver testing the electrics I decided to pick it up and see what Mr Frayne has to say.

In the introduction he talks about how he walked on water. In the first chapter he talks about how movies like Spiderman and The Matrix inspired him to levitate and walk down the LA Times building. Ok, but his very next sentence is "But there are no tricks with my magic!" Implying that he really can levitate and he really did walk down the side of a building unaided. I get it, the book is published under the name Dynamo and is aimed at the general public so it's to be expected that he'll be in character, but damn, I don't want to read that BS.

So if I wanted to read (auto)biographies of magicians or books on the history of magic that aren't full of "I really have supernatural powers" then where should I start? I've read a few about Houdini but can't remember the names off the top of my head and I read Blaine's book which surprisingly wasn't too bad.

All suggestions welcome.

Cheers!

I love reading 'non magic' magic books (if that makes any sense at all!)

My favourite book on magic history/magicians is 'Hiding the Elephant' by Jim Steinmeyer. I was also lucky enough to get my copy signed by Jim after his lecture at the International Magic Convention last year (you don't need to know that, but felt like bragging!).

M Steinmeyer has quite a few books on magic history out. He also has one about Howard Thurston which I really enjoyed.

I also (part) read the book Bill Kalush did about Houdini, though it didn't really grip me to persevere through the whole thing.

Another book I really liked, thigh not really a history/biography book was called 'Sleights of Mind'. It is book about how using magic to study neuroscience reveals a lot about how we perceive the world etc. Really interesting if you're into that sort of thing (which I am).

Rev

Reactions: RealityOne

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
1. What Rev said about Hiding the Elephant and The Last Greatest Magician (the book about Thurston).
2. I'm jealous that Rev has Hiding the Elephant autographed in person.
3. At least I have an autographed copy of Steinmeyer's Technique and Understanding
4. Get The Magician's Elephant and read it to your neice when she is around 6. It is a beautifully written book.

Jul 13, 2010
So if I wanted to read (auto)biographies of magicians or books on the history of magic that aren't full of "I really have supernatural powers" then where should I start?
"Dai Vernon: A Biography" by David Ben. A must-have for any Vernon admirer.
"Del Ray: America's Foremost" by John Moehring
The Hofzinser books by Magic Christian. The most indepth biography of a magician and his work that I've read so far.

Dec 29, 2011
David Blaine's biography is alright, I feel its a little like the Dynamo situation, aimed at non magician fans, but whatever, enjoyable enough.

Derren Brown's autobiography (Confessions of a Conjurer) is not so much about magic, but provides a great insight into his personality. It has a very interesting format which basically is that the whole book is a recount of a performance of his three card routine, throughout the recount he will digress into various topics related to some of his development as a magician, and just personal thoughts inspired by points through the routine. From these digressions he will digress further and further, into many layers of semi related digressions with even more footnotes throughout, sometimes there are several per page, and some footnotes are several pages long. It is very amusing, but also has many serious points too, its a fascinating book to read.

Reactions: Josh Burch

Colin

Elite Member
Jan 25, 2013
I've just started reading Steve Spill's I Lie for Money and it is pretty entertaining. As said above all of Steinmeyer's stuff is great.
Masters of Mystery by Christopher Sandford was an interesting read about Houdini and Arthur Conan Doyle

Jebzy

Elite Member
Jun 22, 2012
Latvia
Hey guys!

Are there any biography books about Pen and Teller, Tom Mullica or Paul Daniels?
Because I couldn't find any, but maybe I don't know how to find them.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
To reiterate, Steinmeyer's books are great. My least favorite is on Charles Fort, it's magical but pretty dry. Hiding the Elephant, Glorius Deception, Alan Wakeling, and his Howard Thurston books are all great.

David Blaine's book is alright, I loved Derren Browns book. Actually all of his books for laypeople and magicians alike are pretty good.

Sleight of Mind is alright. It is written by psychologists looking at magic. Their explanations are a little wonky here and there. You can tell they are outsiders.

Ricky Jay's Flaming Pigs and Fireproof Women seems good but I haven't read it yet.

Houdini, by Bill Kalush is really nice.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results