Non-informed Spectators: "Hidden Camera" Magic

Nov 1, 2007
Introduction

Anybody ever see Room 401 on MTV? Kind of a magician's candid camera, if you haven't - random targets being subjected to magic, but in a more "horror-genre" sense. It's all special effects, illusions, and magic, and featured a few classics like the torn and restored newspaper, levitation, and dropping one's head into one's arms (performed by Mr. Cyril, no less!). The spectators don't know they're filmed or that magical creepiness is about to occur. Most of the time, they accept it at face value: supernatural weirdness. And they react as such.

Usually a torn and restored newspaper gets polite applause. Here, the girl spec. is wrapped up in the impossibility of the restoration, and the visible obituary of the guerilla magician performing. She is freaked out, moved to another level.

It's probably the most honest performance of magic I've seen in a while. I've always said that about impromptu street theater.

I think, anytime the spectator ISN'T aware you're going to do magic, that the reactions usually increase tenfold. (Not always - depends on the spec., the trick, presentation, etc.) If they know you're a magician, then they're expecting it. In this scenario, it is a spontaneous moment of weird, in the truest sense.

Before I continue, let me explain my purpose here: to discuss a different method of presentation for magic, one where the audience is not aware you're a magician until afterwards, or maybe even not at all. This is not me saying a particular style is better than another, or that a magicians reactions and talent are in anyway inferior or superior by using this method. No, all this is, is discussion and theory of a (as far as I know) relatively new idea for presentation. The only discussion I hope to raise is the pros & cons of such an idea AS IT RELATES TO ITSELF, not to other genres of magic, as well as ideas, theories, and constructive criticism.

Obviously, such a style isn't for everyone. It's very unorthodox, brief, and isn't "traditional entertainment" so much as "infusing daily culture with magic and the supernatural". There's no show, just odd theater.

So here's a definition to work with, to put everyone on the same page: performing magic without letting the audience know a performance is going on or that you are a performer. And not even in a scary way, like Room 401 - just with appropriate effects. To the audience, it appears as a freaky or supernatural event. The truth may or may not be revealed afterwards. The point of such an approach is to frame the magic in a unique way that is typically lost with modern magic. To make the act feel more personal and authentic to the spectator, instead of hinting trickery by announcing your profession (or at least, waiting for the moment of astonishment to pass before you do).

Some may consider this approach unethical. However, this is purely for entertainment, the way any hidden camera show would be. And you wouldn't flat out say, "I have special powers!" - you would let the audience infer whatever they wanted. It is a form of performance art, just like magic itself. Those still taking offense to the notion could always inform the audience afterward that it was magic, and only entertainment.

The reason I like this approach is because of the acting, theater, and storytelling potential, as well as the immersion for the spectator, who is no longer watching a show, but involved in a miracle. It allows for unusual performances and creativity, as well as unique reactions. (Imagine Fraud this way - someone gives you change for a 5, and you remark that one of the bills feels... "wet", or "odd". You then do the trick and return the dollar, refusing to touch it again.)

Any levitation or PK movement works wonders here. Mentalism, too. Imagine complaining about the additives in bottled water versus tap, then doing Sean Field's Tatste-icular. Or going nuts with an M5 in a public place.

I think such a method can intensify astonishment, because for that moment, there's NO answer, not even, "Well, he IS a magician."

+++

Reactions, Philosophy, and Goals

Another big thing is, again, that this is not a show - this is a spontaneous infusing of magic into daily culture. You do something that shocks, astonishes, or scares someone, following through with appropriate presentation, and you are gone. There is not much publicity or fame in this - you are doing it just for magic's sake. You're spreading magic to entertain, without any recognition and with a limited trick base. It's like writing a novel you can't stick your name on, or performing music in a garage somewhere without ever being able to perform live on stage. Some magicians don't want that - in fact, most don't. Most want the show, the audience, and the recognition. And not even to be arrogant or for the fame - no, it's completely understandable. They want to be the entertainer magic calls for, and are following the art as it most commonly requests. Some even make a living off of this, and NEED the show, the audience, the recognition, and for them, such an idea I've proposed would most likely be disaster.

Me, on the other hand... the show isn't what I want to do with magic. Okay, maybe a show or two (where else am I going to show off my, albeit limited, coin work? =P). But for the most part, I want to find that primal reaction most magicians strive for. You know, the whole "astonish the spectator and change their reality / their life" gets thrown around a LOT these days, and usually very lightly. I've seen EXTREMELY few magicians who can actually do that, yet thousands who CLAIM to be able to. Some magicians don't even care about doing that, they just repeat it verbatim because it's what we're supposed to want to do.

I do magic first and foremost because it's fun. I do it for me, first, my own personal fun, because if I'm not having fun, I really don't care what the spectators think. Secondly, I do it for the audience. If I'm having fun, I don't mind throwing the spotlight on them, because I get my kicks in the performance and the deception. I don't think anything I could ever do would honestly shift someone's paradigm, but what I probably can do is help someone rediscover wonder, and I truly, genuinely believe it is a concept we've lost as a society. I want to astonish others not because I enjoy the freakout, but because I socially and emotionally support the concept of imagination and wonder, and I think without them, we are a dead and meaningless society. These tricks might not make anyone "inspired", but it can make them feel what it's like to accept a world where ANYTHING is possible, not the world where everyone else dictates what's possible.

Also? Sometimes magic can just make people's days better. Seeing something cool makes you smile.

So many magicians say they want to bring astonishment to the audience, but they don't know why. It's just a cool thought, that something you can do can literally alter lives. But probably, that's not going to happen. What you can do, though, is get a reaction - make someone laugh, make them stare in amazement, make then run away across the street, make them want to become a magician - whatever. For most people, that genuine reaction of awe may be the most cathartic thing they'll feel in a life where most people try to suppress it.

So, I don't mind forsaking a traditional show to create some random act of freakiness for a stranger. They'll keep that event in mind, it'll wake them up from the normal day-to-day routine, and with further prodding, maybe they'll let imagination back in (maybe not all people are like this. But I'm biased, because most people I meet are).

Before I delve further, what are everyone's thoughts regarding this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 8, 2008
Very interesting and though provoking. Too bad I'm a card magician. :D Reading it makes me want to go out and get some non-card effects, though.

Nov 1, 2007
Thanks, guys. I'd love to discuss this more, and also add some dissenting opinions should any arise.

Trick Ideas

Off the top of my head, some effects that would work well for this type of thing:

- Any kind of levitation, especially the classic Balducci
- Daniel Garcia's Fraud
- Daniel Madison has a version of RIP involving a torn up dollar bill. An "accidental" tear of your own dollar and a helping hand are all that's needed to restore it.
- The upcoming "Wounded" from R. C. Smith, where blood drips like tears or from your palms. The initial wound plus the healing thereof (if such an act is taught in the routine) makes a very creepy, surreal encounter.
- Any geek magic, really, works here - something like Sean Fields's Saw, used to dislodge something from your throat, for example.
- Can't say enough about MENTALISM! Cold reading, or billet work (if you can disguise the act of the billet as something else, to have another reason for them to write down their thoughts on it). Metal bending, PK touches, animated objects, and the like lend a subdued yet powerful realism to the routine. Imagine shaking someone's hand, only to gain a blank, "not-there" stare, each of you grasping the other's wrists, and you reveal Wayne Houchin's Stigmata!
- A coin through glass.
- Sean Fields has a wealth of stuff in his 1337 notes and X-rated (haven't gotten Explicit Content yet, but don't fault me for that :D), such as a unique spoon bending routine where the spoon appears to be curving to strike like a cobra, and also a routine where you hand out spoons to everyone and THEY all make their spoons bend. His 1337 notes are more magic than mentalism, including swallowing a borrowed necklace and showing your hands and mouth clean, then digging your hand into your stomach and pulling the bloody necklace out (though I prefer to pull it from my neck or upper chest, a little more logical). Any magician performing today who hasn't incorporated some of Sean's material is only half of what they could be. Okay, enough kissing up =P.
- Mindbender from Ellusionist is good stuff for this kind of performance.
- the classic biting a quarter in half, then spitting in back.
- animation of a dead fly.
- pulse stops. Imagine Luke Jermay's For Andruzzi, when no one around you knows you're a magician.

An Important Concept

You get the vein I'm going for, hopefully. There are a lot of tricks that wouldn't work for this type of routine: most card tricks deserve a proper show or patter, and also just don't make sense in the "spontaneous miracle" type of performance. Also, this type of routine, more than other, requires a character, and that's an iffy subject - the notion that you should just be yourself when performing is true, yet this type of magic is just begging for an acting job (and even requires it, in some circumstance!) Perhaps just a facelift and not a total personality change, like the "mysterious stranger" David Blaine invented, which gives him the freedom to laugh at smile and react with the spectators, scream in pain and pass out when he pulls his heart out on national TV, or stare creepily and intently as he read's someone's mind. Very versatile (someone make the joke about Blaine's patter being the opposite of versatile - you know you want to, come on).

Personally, whenever I perform, I've never adopted a particular character or persona, but I do get into the trick - minor acting jobs like pain or concentration are no problem, and (at the claim of others) I often have weird reactions or mannerisms that I don't realize I'm going through, and I think it'd be perfect here. But to sum that all up - it requires a departure from "being you" and a visit to acting territory. But, hey - it's performance art!

Ah, tangents, tangents. Any replies?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 1, 2007
Cleaned up the thread a little bit, arranged some things. Now on to today's topic!

Presenting Mentalism

Mentalism already has that aura that fits this type of magic. Shows are typically designed to imply that the performer has some sort of mental power without coming out and saying it, letting each individual decide, and the effects are usually simple and direct. It doesn't take much tweaking to adopt it to hidden theater.

A central concept that needs to be addressed is billet work. Billets are a staple of mentalism, and the different types of peeks and tears help you appear to pluck the thoughts straight from someone's mind. However, there's no logical reason to have a billet - most performers don't even address why the billet was signed. I typically say, for proof - I tell the spectator we're having them sign the billet to prove to everyone else after the effect that I was right, but even that is pushing it. The point is, there's no good reason why a layman should sign a billet and hand it to you.

My ideas:
- the ideal solution is that, for some reason, the spectator wrote the information down of his own free will on a billet before you even asked for it. Now, I highly doubt this would occur - without some sort of suggestion. More on that in a minute.
- a dare. Write something down and think about it, and I will tell you what you wrote. Fold it up so I can't see, and we'll even rip it up. Now, concentrate on it...
- Time misdirection. Make them forget they even signed a billet.

The top one is ideal. Say the spectator, for whatever reason, has a billet and writes down someone's name. You get the info when they believe you can't, and you reveal. In this scenario, you never asked them to sign it - in fact, you present it as, "Look, I can't even see it. There's no way, we can't see through, right?" And then, bam. You set it aside, add a little time misdirection, and proceed to read their minds. But, I doubt any spectator would ever do this.

Time misdirection seems the best route. If you use a peek, then you can say it's for proof. Then you play up the mindreading after skipping a few beats, and gradually reveal. If you use a center tear, simply use that as a reason why you couldn't possibly peek. Time misdirection again.

Any ideas?

Why Mentalism Works So Well

Because you're divulging private thoughts you had no way of knowing. It's not like a card trick, where you could silently control a card they picked. Here, it is something that is merely thought of. How could you possibly manipulate such a thing? It's not even tangible - just a mere memory, or a name.

The biggest reason, though, is the emotional aspect. If magic connects to the spectator visually, then mentalism connects to them emotionally. Instead of working with props and displays, here you're working with their memories. It's very personal to them. That's why TV psychics and cold readers gain such acclaim - they tell you stuff you believe it's impossible for them to know, to prove they can do what they say, and then they tell you the future. And if you believed the first part, you have to believe the second. They play with what's important to you instead of props, and they divulge information you want to know. Mentalism works, especially here.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results