Nottingham PDF | Nottingham

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
Nottingham PDF by Nottingham

In this part, Nottingham offers here 4 of his effects. The PDF holds some good teaching, and pictures to help along the way, but let's go into the contents, shall we-

LB Reveal

A card is selected, a corner is ripped, and vanished. The magician points to a lightbulb (in a box, or chandlier), takes the lightbulb outside with the spectators, breaks it open to find the corner inside the lightbulb. The corner matches.

Although this isn't something I'd perform, I do like Nottingham's creativity for the effect. This will require a small set-up that will only take a matter of minutes. But the corner actually being inside the lightbulb is a nice touch if you view it from the spectator's p.o.v. Also, I like how the spectators actually see the corner being torn, and in the magician's hand before disappearing.

Corner of Water

A card is selected, a corner is ripped. An empty water bottle is shown, and the magician visually pushes the corner through the water bottle, where the spectators sees it fall straight through, 'drowning' to the bottom of the bottle.

Again, uses the same priniciple as the LB Reveal. Although, I do see myself performing this one more. What I like here is the visual aspect of the corner penetrating through the bottle, and falling to the bottom. Pretty basic set-up, will only take a few seconds, but I like this one a lot more.

Coin Thru

A coin is borrowed, and a deck box is shown cleanly front and back and placed on top of a cup. The magician takes the coin and slams it on top of the deck, where it falls straight through the deck and inside the cup.

Basic sleights with a small set-up make up this effect. Very nice, visual, and pretty powerful. Only drawback I see is that the spectator may want to inspect the box, but with audience managment, you can easily overcome this, plus, the box is cleanly shown to contain no slits or holes before the effect starts.

4x4 Transpo

The performer displays 4 Aces and places them on top of the deck. Then 4 Jacks are displayed and placed on the floor. The magician offers the spectator one more chance to see the 4 Aces on top of the deck, and with a snap, the 4 Aces and 4 Jacks have now changed places.

Pretty nice transpo, if I do say so myself. Although this one requires you performing more advanced sleights, the payoff is worth it. I also enjoy the aspect of showing the cards before they quickly change.

Nottingham brings some nice, visual, and creative effects here to the table, and I enjoyed reading and performing each one. In all, I'll give this part a 7/10.! :)

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
So, here's the second part of Nottingham's PDF series-

Q Change

A card is selected by the spectator, and lost back in the deck. The deck is turned face-up to show that the card is not on the bottom of the deck, but when the performer brushes the card, the card instantly changes into the selcted card.

This is a very nice, and visual color change. Now the technique in order to perform the 'Q CHANGE' will take some time to get down, but for a color change this good, I'd say it's pretty worth it. Now I'm not one to perform color changes, but I will add that I do like this.

Coin to Card

A card is selected, signed if you wish, and lost back in the deck, and the entire deck is placed back inside the card case. A coin is borrowed and signed, and placed on top of the card case, where it instantly vanishes. The card case is open, and when spread through, the signed card has landed on top of one card, the slected, signed card.

It's like Sankey's 'IN A FLASH', only without the fire. Now I am a big fan of Sankey's 'IN A FLASH', but I do like this alternative-it's a lot more impromptu. Again, you must practice all the sleights and techniques in 'CARD TO COIN' to get the best outcome (but this can be said for about every effect).

Smear

A card is selected, and examined by the spectator. The magician asks if the spectator can move or distort the printed ink on the card. The spectator tries and tries, and replies no. The magician, with empty hands, smears the pip on the card, and is handed back to the spectator to examine and keep.

Now I like this one a lot. You can also do this with a spectator's signatures, yup you read that right. I see a lot of potential in this one, especially the possibilites you can do with it. No need to carry around any gaff cards, nor do you need to do any kind of switches. You will have to construct a small "gimmick" for this, but I can guarentee if you're a magician, then you will have the supplies needed to do this. This one get's an A+!

Well, there you have it! I'll give this one an 8/10, as I really enjoyed 'SMEAR'. Hope you enjoyed reading, and before I forget, all of Nottingham's PDFs are available through Nottingham. That's all folks! :)

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
Here, we have another one of Nottingham's effect-

Pierce

'PIERCE' comes in an 8 page PDF, and essentially is a 'CARD THROUGH BOX'.

Nottingham explains that instead of creating a card to box, he wanted to let the audience see the moment when the card goes through the box.

The effect is as so- A card is selected, signed if they wish, lost in the deck, and the deck placed on top of an empty card box. Visually, and magically, with a shake of the deck, a card is seen to melt through the box, and land straight into the empty card box, the slected, signed card.

This is something I can releate to, as I've played around with something similar before, but most the handlings I came up with were either too "impractical" or to "obvious".

Nottingham offers 2 versions; an impromptu version, and a gimmicked version, although they both look the same, they do offer an advantage over the other.

The great aspect of the impromptu version, is it's impromptu! Borrow a deck, borrow the box, and you have yourself a solid, and practical effect. The sleights are easy, but although the sleight that Nottingham offers does have some strict angles, but with some thinking on your part, you can come up with something more angle-friendly.

For the gimmicked version, you'll probably have everything you need, but after a few performances you'll have to replace the gimmick. Although, this gimmick is very inexpensive, lightweight, and will last for awhile, so I see that as a plus. What the gimmicked version offers is a cleaner, and more natural handling, and it also has a melting-esque look to it when the card falls through the box. You can also place the deck on the box, and show your hands and box empty-very clean.

But I do enjoy Nottingham's contributions to this plot, and I'll give this an 8/10! :)

Enoy!

Jan 17, 2010
Kentucky
Thanks for another review Jv and I'm glad you liked it. If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll send a few people a copy. It may be a few hours before I can get back to you. Tell me your thoughts on the method.

Thanks again Jv
-Cody Nottingham

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
This is now the 3rd series of Nottingham's PDF Trilogy...CIPHER-

First up on the list...

Access:Card to Box: A spectator selects a card. This card is now placed on top of the deck box window, and with a wave of the fan, it's now inside.

Simple, and quick little impromptu effect. Requires very minimal sleights.

3witch: A card is selected, and 2 Jokers are shown. The slection is placed at the top of the pack, the Joker just below, and the 2nd Joker lower. With a wave of the hand, the slection has found its way inbetween the 2 Jokers.

A sandwich-esque kind of effect. Again, it's impromptu, quick, and visual. Again, it requires minimal sleights, and I like the "melting-esque" type of deal when you "drag" the card from the top of the pack, to the middle of the Jokers.

QTranspo: A card is slected from the deck, memorized, and placed in the performer's mouth. The performer turns the entire deck over, waves his hands over the cards only to find that it changed into the slection. The card that changed is then found in the performer’s mouth.

In order to perform the 'QTRANSPO' you'll need to already know how to perform Nottingham's Q CHANGE, but if you're a fan of 'CARD TO MOUTH' then you'll be a fan of this 'CARD TO MOUTH TRANSPO'.

Legion Shift: Based on Chan Nelson's 'CLIPSHIFT'-It's SHIFT, and a COLOR CHANGE.

To be honest, as great as this is, it's going to take while to get down, haha. But the payoff will be well worth it.

Surpass Control: With this you can: the top or middle card anywhere you desire in the deck, go into a clean and undetectable tenkai palm, or use it as a steal.

Once again, this is a complication (and awkard at first) CONTROL. Nottingham teaches you everything you need to know; how to control the cards(s), the basic manevuer, a cull application.

Gone: 2 Jokers are introduced and placed down on the table A card is selected, and signed by the spectator, and lost back into the deck. The Jokers are then waved in front of the deck, and in an instant, the ENTIRE deck has now vanished, leaving behind ONLY one card, the slected, signed card.

GONE will require you to construct a gimmick, and if you're a magician, you'll have everything you need to construct the gimmick. I really dig this effect, and have been trying to work on a deck vanish myself. The gimmick to GONE is very deceptive. I really like the motivation, and direction Nottingham goes towards the deck vanish.

Hope you enjoy reading, and I'll give this an 8/10. :)

Jan 17, 2010
Kentucky
My website isn't currently working correctly due to a server issue. It was SUPPOSE to be working again yesterday, but I just got news that it won't be up for another 3 days or so. You can PM me if your interested. Thanks for the review Jv. Jv-review KING!

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
My website isn't currently working correctly due to a server issue. It was SUPPOSE to be working again yesterday, but I just got news that it won't be up for another 3 days or so. You can PM me if your interested. Thanks for the review Jv. Jv-review KING!

Thanks for the kind words, Nottingham! And thanks for putting out some wonderful PDFs! :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results