one card middle pass..

Aug 4, 2009
I'm having a hard time with the one card middle pass in vol. 1 of Card College.. It's clunky. I can't get the card free in time.. it's way early, and the break makes the dribbling seem clunky..

are these just 'keep trying - you'll get it' issues or do I have a problem here?

Mar 26, 2009
Arizona
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7simZEwuk8

i do this as described in the Card Classics of Ken Krenzel. what i do is push the card in with an angle jog so that the inner left corner moves to the right of my right thumb, sticking out the back of the deck. Then, like a diagonal palm shift, i pivot the card around my right thumb using my left pinky just enough so that my left index finger can straddle grip the card. Since it is already clear of the right thumb, the left fingers (in straddle grip) just strip the card out and backwards as i lift the deck with my right fingers to dribble. Just work on the timing so that the noise of the card being pulled out blends into the sound of the dribble, and remember, you dont need hardly any clearance, just enough for the first card being dribbled to land on top of the selected card, then gravity will take over. Because you were already in a straddle grip position, you wont have to adjust your fingers at all while catching the dribbled cards.

Sep 1, 2007
Starting see more posts like this.... sleights that people learn that make them forget about some that they learned a year ago that will accomplish the same thing in a simpler more easy way.

Guess easy isn't fun lol.

Aug 4, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7simZEwuk8

i do this as described in the Card Classics of Ken Krenzel. what i do is push the card in with an angle jog so that the inner left corner moves to the right of my right thumb, sticking out the back of the deck. Then, like a diagonal palm shift, i pivot the card around my right thumb using my left pinky just enough so that my left index finger can straddle grip the card. Since it is already clear of the right thumb, the left fingers (in straddle grip) just strip the card out and backwards as i lift the deck with my right fingers to dribble. Just work on the timing so that the noise of the card being pulled out blends into the sound of the dribble, and remember, you dont need hardly any clearance, just enough for the first card being dribbled to land on top of the selected card, then gravity will take over. Because you were already in a straddle grip position, you wont have to adjust your fingers at all while catching the dribbled cards.

wow. thanks. That's so much easier.. and without the break, there's no clunky dribbling. excellent description, too

I'm still going to work on it as described in Card College.. I'm stubborn. Even if I never use the version in CC, it adds to finger desterity, I would think.

Mar 26, 2009
Arizona
im not familiar with the CC version, but i say go for the easiest route to the desired outcome. For those that will say "just undercut it to the bottom", well some of us magicians like to just put the card in the middle, and unkown to anyone have it controled, rather than shuffle or cut the card to the desired location

Aug 4, 2009
im not familiar with the CC version, but i say go for the easiest route to the desired outcome.

the CC version requires you to get a huge break in the deck and stick ring and middle fingers in, angle the deck and use pressure to slide the card out to the right (assuming left hand dealing grip is used) while dribbling the cards.. pain in the rump. not only do you have to dribble with a huge break in the deck, and get the timing down, the bottom card tends to follow the controlled, so the controlled card is 2nd from bottom.

For those that will say "just undercut it to the bottom", well some of us magicians like to just put the card in the middle, and unkown to anyone have it controled, rather than shuffle or cut the card to the desired location

It's always nice to have more than 1 method to achieve the same effect. And a control that looks like a simple flourish is just plain cool.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results