One-handed double lift

Oct 9, 2007
YOU GUYS KNOW WHAT I MEAN?

Not in the slightest. I'm pretty much 100 percent sure your DL is not flawless. My DL is not flawless. Very few people can do the DL deceptively. A double card needs to look like a single card and if people who have never seen a DL more than a few times know that you are picking up more than one card, then you can not do the DL.

Practice it a bit more. And no need to shout, he's only helping.

There's been long talks about people thinking they are a hell of a lot better than they actually are. It won't help you in the least.

IT'S NOT THAT THEY CATCH ME DOING MY DOUBLE LIFT. WHEN I SAY MY DOUBLE LIFT IS FLAWLESS, THEN TRUST ME IT IS FLAWLESS. WHAT HAPPENS IS WHEN I'M DONE DOING AN EFFECT. THEY TELL ME IT LOOKS AMAZING BUT THEY ALSO TELL ME THAT WHEN I PICKED UP THE CARD THEY KNEW IT WAS MORE THAN ONE CARD EVEN THOUGH THE EFFECT LOOK GOOD.

THAT'S LIKE SAYING "YOU DID GREAT, BUT I KNOW HOW IT'S DONE"

YOU GUYS KNOW WHAT I MEAN?

pific,

I sincerely hope you know I'm in no way intentionally attacking your performance or your general knowledge in magic. But by admitting what you said, you illustrated that you do have flawed technique. I'll stay on topic and use a reference to the double lift.

In my opinion, the double lift should be an underplayed move. It's a simple act of apparently turning over a card. It doesn't need to be convincing. It doesn't need to be flashy. No one should pay mind to it and no one should care about it. With that said-- in the context of an effect, the actual ACT of executing a double lift could be hidden altogether. In other words, if you can manipulate the timing and flow as I stated in my earlier post, your audience should never see you turn the card over at all. If simultaneously done under guise of a clever joke or body movement, by the time people's eyes readjust to the deck, they should just notice a card ALREADY turned over on top of the deck. They'll simply assume you turned the card over on top of the deck casually. They shouldn't see a "move" at all. It's an honest assumption that, as a magician, you're taking advantage of. It's completely invisible. There's nothing to catch.

It's good you want to learn and continue developing your repertoire. I admire that. But if you're merely doing so to replace or improve upon a technique you're already comfortable with-- it should be noted that that's unnecessary. I work smarter, not harder. If something's not broken-- it needs no fixing. Get it?

I understand this advice will most likely be glossed over and ignored by various people on the forums. That's okay. But to those who do choose to pay it mind and attempt putting it to practice will see just how much more they can really get away with. There's no need to be a hardcore cardshark all the time. A little personality and performance technique can shade some of the boldest sleights better than any mechanical subtlety.

Always,

RS.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results