Opinion?

Sep 22, 2007
Is it me, or is it that laymen these days are only interested in HOW the trick is done and putting the magician down?

I was doing some basic effects for my classmates the other day and when I just showed him the top card, he immediately said,

"You took 2 cards"

:|

I'd really like to know if you guys encounter this problem.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
It's more than likely your performance, not your spectators. I love how whenever a young "street" magician gets a bad reaction, it's automatically the audience's fault, when in reality, most of the time it is theirs. Obviously, there are exceptions, but I think most of the fault lies with the performer.

Well it really depends on the type of person. Some people enjoy being fooled and the thrill of seeing something impossible happen.

Some people like to put others down and don't like being "tricked". Obviously most people know these are illusions but, some think of it as if your better than them at something and they don't like that.

That's what I've noticed but, it's not everyone. You get good spectators and you get bad spectators. Don't let it get you down though, perservere(sp?) and keep it up.

-RA69

Feb 25, 2008
What Rebel says is true. I have spectators that will be fixated on the trick and all cheery and happy the entire time. And then I have kids that will ask to thoroughly examine the cards before I can even get them out of the pack.

Aos

Mar 6, 2008
Yes, I think its the tone of your performance. If it comes off as you showing off, people will not want to play along and be fooled. But then again, some people never want to play along.

Jan 13, 2008
hecklers....they are everywhere..they dont want to see you rmagic....keep trying to entertain them and you will lose....walk away and you feel defeated...theres only one thing to do with a heckler...just say "Well ok man, its all good" put tthe cards up, walk away, and most importantly FORGET ABOUT IT! dont let it get you down, there are a lot of people out there who WANT to see your magic, dont waste time on those who dont.

and if ya can, when ever ya do a double reveal for an ending...

...Be Sure To Drink More.......Olvatine. just kiddin

....be sure to K.M ASAP! its a beautiful move to clean up that DL

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
If you present your magic as a puzzle, people will automatically try and work things out. If you, on the other hand, present it as a fun experience with YOU also enjoying the magic then people will often just have fun with you.

Oct 6, 2007
If you present your magic as a puzzle, people will automatically try and work things out. If you, on the other hand, present it as a fun experience with YOU also enjoying the magic then people will often just have fun with you.

Great explanation. Sounds like Darwin Ortiz. I agree, don't make it a puzzle, but an emotional experience.

To those who have complained about te spectators wanting to find out how the trick is done, and not enjoying the magic, you are far from being a great magician. It is never a spectators fault for a failed magic experience or trick. It's your fault. Your fault for not getting a sleight down well, your fault for having a bad performance. Your fault for bad presentation.

Never your spectators fault. Improve your presentation & sleights or quit complaining.

Aos

Mar 6, 2008
K.M? What is this I hear of...?

It's a way to strip off the back card in a double lift. Sankey uses it in allot of his tricks.

Also, more towards the topic. I think there is a big thinking difference between performers who perform for money, and those who don't. Because as a payed performer you must but audience enjoyment above anything and everything else, and you will quickly be taught that lesson if you don't follow it. But if you simply show a few tricks to a few people in your school or something, you have no obligation to do anything. You don't have to put a routine together, worry about how it flows. You can even walk away in a middle of a trick. So there will always be a dual way of thinking on magic forums.

Jan 4, 2008
Heres something that i do

I agree with everyone on here that people are different and will act different in some scenarios. But, lets say that if you did do a double lift and i have done this, the spectator says you are holding two cards - heres what i do. - So they say you are holding two cards, you say well actually i'm holding 52 cards but nice try anyway. :D If ever i do that they forget the double and immediately start laughing or laugh because other people are laughing too. It may not be what some people are into in that case, but hey, it works for me.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results