Panic

matthewwhitt2

Elite Member
hey, i searched and couldnt find the answers so if they are out there, i am sorry. with panic, could you just do it as a dissappearing deck trick or do you have to have the 4 kings at the end? also, would you be able to force one of the kings and have that in you pocket, do the trick and have only that one card show up? lastly, and i think would be great but im thinking the answer is no to this one, could you have them hold onto the king(s) in their hand and cover them up than do the trick? let me mention that i think the trick as is, is amazing and that i am planning on getting it after i get a good coin in bottle effect (and save enough money :( ) but im just wandering if there are other ways you could perform this trick or if its just what sold it to me in the 1st place.

Sep 3, 2007
Pennsylvania
There is one effect that will work and it is the one that you see in the vid on this site. The 4 kings are put into your back pocket, the rest of the deck is spread out to show that it is still there but when covered and uncovered by your hand, the deck vanishes. The 4 kings are in your left in your hand. That is pretty much the only effect. No it can't be done in the spectator's hand. The trick is too simple to have all those other effects work, but believe me, it is still really awesome and gets great reactions.

Edit: Oh, no you can't just vanish the deck. The four kings have to show up in the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 3, 2007
i have some questions about panic myself though i dont really want to start another topic...people say that you can use a spectators deck of cards, does it have to be a certain color/brand? also can the kings be signed? and finally is there a risk of the gimmick breaking if you were carrying it in your pocket (if you didnt sit on it)

matthewwhitt2

Elite Member
i have some questions about panic myself though i dont really want to start another topic...people say that you can use a spectators deck of cards, does it have to be a certain color/brand? also can the kings be signed? and finally is there a risk of the gimmick breaking if you were carrying it in your pocket (if you didnt sit on it)

i obviously dont own it but my understanding is that yes you can borrow a deck but you have to use the special kings. and i believe it only comes in bycicle red. correct me if im wrong but thats what i think.

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado

The deck has to be a Red backed rider back.
These are the most common cards available, so it should be easy to do.
The gimmick could "breaK" but only if you were trying to break it.
It can get damaged if you aren't careful with it however.

TKH

Aug 31, 2007
Wisconsin
no it wouldn't break any laws. It might be unethical, but if my cards get old, or I'd like to use the four aces instead perhaps. I think I could on a good concious try to make my own panic. Although I realise I couldn't make crd as nice as they did, probably tear the cards up(without restoring them later) and order some of t11.

Sep 2, 2007
no it wouldn't break any laws. It might be unethical, but if my cards get old, or I'd like to use the four aces instead perhaps. I think I could on a good concious try to make my own panic. Although I realise I couldn't make crd as nice as they did, probably tear the cards up(without restoring them later) and order some of t11.

Actually, it would.

You might want to check Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution to the United States of America: "To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts (such as magic), by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors (such as those of Panic) the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries (such as the effect and/or gimmick)." :D

Cheers,
JTM

matthewwhitt2

Elite Member
i dont think its against the law making your own gimmick. if you can do it than why not? thats like saying re-selling the dvd on e-bay is against the law because you are teaching someone else the trick when you didnt create it. i dont know, i just think its ok to make your own gimmick if you can.

AaronFisher

theory11 artist
Aug 31, 2007
www.aaronfishermagic.com
AARON SPEAKS: PANIC - How to access YOUR creativity!

Hey Guys,

I've said this before, but these questions are great. They demonstrate that you aren't just trying to collect magic tricks by the pound. Rather, you're considering your purchases carefully. You want to polish each piece you work on until it shines.

So, let's talk a bit about Panic, and it's full potential, and yours. Frankly, there are a great many ways you'll be able to use this trick if you put in the time. The basic routine is easy to do, and it's one of the most powerful ways to present the effect. As you experiment you will discover, as i have, many different ways to modify the effect . And if your possess skill with cards - the possibilities are endless. Most of these ideas will occur to you naturally as you take the effect out on the street and see the factors, over and above the apparatus, that really make the effect rock.

The basic limitations are small - red backs, kings, ect. The only serious limitations are the rules of building strong magic. These rules are old. They will take experience and time to fully appreciate. So while you can do many things with Panic, you will want to limit your variations to ideas which maintain the power of the effect and the integrity of the method. Think about the classic 'coin in bottle'. Are there variations? Yes. Can you bite a quarter in half? Yes. Is that really a good idea? That's another story altogether.

The DVD was not built to give you every single application possible with PANIC. It's important to us to help you create your own powerful magic here. If we're not careful in how the material is presented, it may stunt your creative process. That's the LAST thing we want. We want you to create, grow and become the most powerful magician you can be.

I suggest you begin this way. Learn Panic precisely as it's taught on the DVD - not because that's your ultimate goal, but because it's the best way to move forward. Yes, we start with the most basic handling of the trick. Not because it's the easiest way, but because it's the way I perform the effect in my show. Not only will you begin knocking heads almost immediately, but more importantly, you'll learn why the trick really works. You'll begin to understand the underlying psychology and motivation that turns PANIC from a puzzle into a miracle.

Once you understand not just the gimmick, but all the factors that make Panic so profoundly effective, you'll be in a much better position to begin your own creative process. You want innovation. Creativity without understanding leads only to novelty.

Next, focus on the advanced handling - WIDESPREAD PANIC. It will give you a great example of what can be done when you start with PANIC, and then add a little ambition and some sleight of hand. The routine allows you to access the high octane results you can achieve if you take a little extra credit homework.

WIDESPREAD PANIC allows you to see what a healthy exploration of the PANIC principle looks like. Often when we want to add features or interesting ideas to a great trick, we accidentally lose sight of important elements of the effect. No matter what we wish to add, the results won't make us happy if we lose sight of what makes the trick so powerful in the first place. WIDESPREAD PANIC allows you to see two important creative elements working together - advanced routining and sleight of hand, combined with the underlying structure so crucial to the original effect.

When you set out to acquire Panic - give me the chance to earn your trust. Learn the material exactly as I've taught, and perform PANIC, at first, in the ways I suggest. If you can do that, i can promise you you'll get what you're after. Not only will you have a powerful effect you can really use, but you'll come away with more. Your understanding of real magic will grow and your sleight of hand will improve. Then, when you create YOUR magic, the results will be everything you dreamed they could be.

Gratefully,
Aaron

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results