Parlour type routine, please help

Dec 13, 2007
North Hollywood
Well I am putting together a show, and I need some help.
I want to start making money doing mentalism, magic and hypnosis.

Here is what My show consists of so far

E.I - Luke Jermay
Blood Deck -D+M (having them select a card, then having them select another which I see, Then telling them there first selection by there second choice)
Hypnosis (Induction, then making myself ivisable or something along those lines)

I want to end with a russian roulette routine
and I was thinking a bout a pulse stop.

I am going for more of a Mental magic type of show with some hypnosis.
WHat tricks would you guys say would go good with this?

does what I have sound good so far?

Jan 6, 2009
i dont think bring mental in the whole show can make your money

as least u are world famous mental magician like Derren Brown..

using seight of hand magic in a Show is a must ...
it can show to the audience u are ur own skill...
not just bring lot of gimmick and present it ...

that's all for my opinion...

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I disagree respectfully ka_chun. My set is completely mentalism and contains no sleight of hand; I don't see the need. As long as you're actually good at the material, you can do it. I'm not sure you understand what mentalism actually consists of. To imply that mentalism is just a whole lot of gimmicks is completely wrong. I have a 15 minute parlour set, all mentalism, no gimmicks whatsoever.

heavy, the only thing that comes to mind at the moment is that I feel E.I is rather strong for an opener - that and, it'd be nice to have a faster-firing effect at the start.

Nov 15, 2007
Ada Oklahoma

What is this supposed to mean? Not every is Derren Brown, Heavy isn't, but I'm sure he's good at what he does. SoH is showing skill, but mentalism freaks people out. That's all for MY opinion.

-SM

Jan 6, 2009
What is this supposed to mean? Not every is Derren Brown, Heavy isn't, but I'm sure he's good at what he does. SoH is showing skill, but mentalism freaks people out. That's all for MY opinion.

-SM

the real problem is if you make money by this...
u must at least to have some techique things to show to ur audience..

i am not saying mentalism is not good...
i am just wondering will audience amaze if you just do FULL set of mentalism

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
the real problem is if you make money by this...
u must at least to have some techique things to show to ur audience..

i am not saying mentalism is not good...
i am just wondering will audience amaze if you just do FULL set of mentalism

Of course you have to have technique - things like being able to read minds, or body language. Things like the ability to hypnotise someone. The ability of suggestion. There are loads and loads of different techniques and abilities. Granted, you have to present them differently to magic - mentalism is much harder to present in my opinion - but of course mentalism has techniques. You're still doing magic, you're still amazing your audience; why wouldn't they be?

Jan 6, 2009
as i am a sieght of hand player (not XCM) before..
i am open to discuss with u guys...

i wont mind if more suggestion or comment bring into this post..

Jan 6, 2009
Of course you have to have technique - things like being able to read minds, or body language. Things like the ability to hypnotise someone. The ability of suggestion. There are loads and loads of different techniques and abilities. Granted, you have to present them differently to magic - mentalism is much harder to present in my opinion - but of course mentalism has techniques. You're still doing magic, you're still amazing your audience; why wouldn't they be?

a question for ur act...
what tricks will be present...

i am just wondering , if all the effect like mind reading ,
muscle reading, can reli let the audience to imagine so much things ??

by adding card and coin...
the audience can reli see what u perform...and they dont have to imagine any more...

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Sure. Incidentally, I think you have the wrong idea about something else - that I use no props whatsoever. True, I don't use any gimmicks, but I definitely do have props - namely, my cards. At one point, I also borrow a coin, a watch, and a wallet.

My set is based around the theme of questioning the decisions we make - i.e. can they be predicted, predetermined, or manipulated? The set I mentioned early runs for about 15 minutes and consists of a series of mind reading revelations, Andy Nyman's The Hidden, and my composite handling of Out of this World.

Through the first effect, Divination, I essentially go through a series of mindreading tests with various obstacles. It's really so simple - pick a card, read a mind. But I embellish it with various ruses so that the audience has something to associate to mind reading - I think it's really important that when you build up the suspense for mindreading, they actually see the moment of mindreading. So in this case I try to make it a really convincing and dedicated act, and build it up. There are some ideas thrown out there, but at the end of the day, the idea is that nothing explains the end result, hence creating that gap, what Darwin Ortiz calls the Illusion of Impossibility in Strong Magic.

Mentalism doesn't have to either involve gimmicks or nothing at all. Absolutely - I do use props, all three of those effects use cards - but it's by no means just me sticking gimmicks that do all the work into my act. I use cards to augment my mentalism, to give them a physical manifestation of what I am demonstrating, but at the same time, the focus is on me, the performer, what I am showing them, rather than getting them to imagine. Rather than getting them to imagine I'm reading minds, I show them, I give them a really important visual moment, a snapshot of mindreading.

In the act of mind-reading, I'm closing my eyes, I'm turning my head away, I'm staring at them for long periods of time, I yell at the top of my lungs. They don't have to imagine, they see me doing it.

One piece of advice is...... Do not introduce yourself as a magician. You will loose all credibility of your mental powers and instead of the audience actually connecting to you as a mentalist, they'll just say ohh its all trickery he is a magician.

Ex

Hi I am a magician,
and I am going to show you tricks.
What I have here is an index card on the opposite side I have a prediction. Sir in the front do you mind giving us your first 3 digits of your SSN. 235 ohh what a coincidence I have predicted 235.
Yaayyyy! with a subtext of wow he is a tricky one.

ex

I am a descendent of an Oracle,
I know all and will tell all, You sir in the front please say your first 3 digits of your SSN. 235, Ohh 235 you say please read what is on the opposite side of this card. 235 wow, wait you are also from Virginia correct? Ohhhh wait not any part of virginia but west virginia. Think back recent memory in west virginia... Burrr it is cold out there was snow correct? Yes. You where shoveling snow were you not? Yes, I knew it. you can end or keep doing cold reading. anyway reaction.

Just an fyi if your first 3 digits is 235 this prediction applies to you. How much am I correct?
Oh my god this guy is..... I do not know. with subtext of HOLYCR**

Dec 13, 2007
North Hollywood
well I agree with most post aboe, it is very possible to have a show without slight of hand and only using mental magic. WOuld A PK touch routine work welll with the rest of the stuff I listed?

I do my mentalism show about 6 or 7 times more than any other. I ALWAYS do Diplopia and Sympathy for the devil. both by Paul Vigil. People are always speechless when they see those. I don't say I'm a magician or anything. I just go right into it. I do a lot that I learned from one of Banacheks books. I'll get the name for you. Muscle reading, the whole shabang. But anything by paul is simply epic.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
One piece of advice is...... Do not introduce yourself as a magician. You will loose all credibility of your mental powers and instead of the audience actually connecting to you as a mentalist, they'll just say ohh its all trickery he is a magician.

Ex

Hi I am a magician,
and I am going to show you tricks.
What I have here is an index card on the opposite side I have a prediction. Sir in the front do you mind giving us your first 3 digits of your SSN. 235 ohh what a coincidence I have predicted 235.
Yaayyyy! with a subtext of wow he is a tricky one.

ex

I am a descendent of an Oracle,
I know all and will tell all, You sir in the front please say your first 3 digits of your SSN. 235, Ohh 235 you say please read what is on the opposite side of this card. 235 wow, wait you are also from Virginia correct? Ohhhh wait not any part of virginia but west virginia. Think back recent memory in west virginia... Burrr it is cold out there was snow correct? Yes. You where shoveling snow were you not? Yes, I knew it. you can end or keep doing cold reading. anyway reaction.

Just an fyi if your first 3 digits is 235 this prediction applies to you. How much am I correct?
Oh my god this guy is..... I do not know. with subtext of HOLYCR**

I don't know about claiming to be a descendant of an Oracle - but you're right in that I don't introduce myself as a magician. At the moment, I've pretty much welcomed everyone and get straight into it.

Kyle - Yes, the Vigil stuff is amazing, and very good for shows.

Heavy - All in how you present the routine. Do have some sort of theme running through the show. eg Derren Brown's recent Evening of Wonders was tied together by "Mind reader" which ran beneath the heading.

Sep 1, 2007

You're obviously not speaking from experience.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results