Pass Opinion

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
Looks alright to me, although the camera quality as you mentioned isn't that great. You might want to check out Jason Englands Classic Pass tutorial which can be found in the magic tricks section. It has a lot of good information that you will find useful even if you are an expert.

Reactions: Dean Magic

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Other than showing people your pass, what do you use it for? It is hard to judge the quality of a pass outiside of a routine that used the pass because the upward tilting motion of your hands indicates that something has happened.

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
Other than showing people your pass, what do you use it for? It is hard to judge the quality of a pass outiside of a routine that used the pass because the upward tilting motion of your hands indicates that something has happened.

I use my pass to pass the time. :p I think the upward tilting motion is a subtlety introduced by Dr. Jacob Daley or maybe Derek Dingle to make the classic pass less perceptible. The pass is not meant to be invisible only imperceptible. The Classic Pass is a move with a high degree of utility, so I doubt that once learned well, it will not be of any use. Turn the deck face up and right off the bat you already have a color change. It is true that you have a wave of younger magicians mostly that just show off their pass for the sake of performing the move(I myself have been guilty of this). And granted there are people on forums saying that The Expert at the Card Table (which contains the classic pass or two-handed shift) possesses useless moves, and that you can get the same results by "banging your head on a desk". I don't find this to be the case, because upon flipping open the book to a random page you will find a bunch of moves that are still in use by the modern day conjurors. Including the Classic Pass.

Oct 28, 2016
The pass is so versitile and I use it in alot of routines, it's all combined with body misdirection and eye contact. To perfect it though, should I try to minimize the motion of the wrist? Was trying to reach a sort of Akira's pass but ofcourse im still practicing.

Oct 20, 2016
Oklahoma
Looks great man. When using it during a routine just look up and kind of nonchalantly do it. I've only been doing card tricks for about a year but I like to add a little riffle with the thumb that holds the pack you're bringing to the top once you've completed the move. Kind of covers any noise and justifies it in my opinion. Also don't choke the cards (not saying you were). It's easy to want to whip the cards through trying to move as fast as you can but that isn't necessary. Just be smooth and easy with it. Hope that helped

ProAma

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
There is no purpose to having people watch or critique your pass. The point of the pass is to do it when no one is looking, not when people are burning your hands.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
The Classic Pass is a move with a high degree of utility.

The pass is so versitile and I use it in alot of routines.

The original purpose of the pass is to reverse a cut. To use it as a control or color change is like using a shotgun to swat a fly. It works, but it isn't the best method.

It is true that you have a wave of younger magicians mostly that just show off their pass for the sake of performing the move(I myself have been guilty of this)

Yeah, that. I suspect that younger magicians practice the pass so much, they need to come up for uses for it.

To perfect it though, should I try to minimize the motion of the wrist? Was trying to reach a sort of Akira's pass but ofcourse im still practicing.

A couple of thoughts. First, if you insist on using the pass as a single card control, the replacement process (placing the card on top of a packet) is typically viewed as suspicious. I've seen people try to stick a card elsewhere (like in the middle of the lower packet) when that replacement process is used. Try to learn to do the pass having the card replaced into a spread. Another alternative is to dribble the cards and have the spectator say stop where they want to drop the card. This gives them more control and makes it less suspicious.

The cover for the pass should be a squaring motion. Try covering it with the right hand squaring the cards and the left hand stable. That would eliminate the "shake." If you can in the process of squaring the deck turn your body from right to left, the squaring motion and the motion of your body will provide sufficient cover. As Tamaritz says, the bigger motion covers the smaller motions.

Finally, practice while talking to your audience. This goes for the pass and any other sleight. Most magicians don't realize that talking is the best cover for a sleight.

Reactions: Gabriel Z.
Aug 3, 2016
Also don't choke the cards (not saying you were). It's easy to want to whip the cards through trying to move as fast as you can but that isn't necessary. Just be smooth and easy with it. Hope that helped
i defiantly agree i have friend who dose a quite slow pass but he fooled a room full of Magicians with a supper simple misdirection

Reactions: jakeherndon24
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results