People Revealing Tricks on Youtube

Oct 20, 2008
Guam, USA
I don't know if this is just me but i really hate it when people do this. I was on youtube today just looking up some performances of tricks. When i came across this kid who had posted tutorials for Fraud, Greed and Sinful. Normally when i see tricks revealed that involve double lifts and stuff like that I don't get too mad. However, Fraud, Greed and Sinful to me are some very hard hitting effects. Effects I had to pay for. The main problem i have with it is the fact that the trick loses impact to me. Me and my friend are quite active street performers, we go around just doing tricks for people. But, it really breaks my heart knowing that someone can go online and see how i did a trick like fraud and lose all of the amazement. Just my little rant.

What do you guys think about this kinds of videos on youtube?

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
This topic has been discussed fairly well over the past little time period here, but briefly - I think that most people would agree that in most cases, the exposure of marketed effects such as those listed above is highly unethical and is almost universally frowned upon.

The problem arises when one proceeds to the logical step of tackling "exposure" - namely, problems regarding the definition of exposure (what it is and isn't) and particular grey areas and other points of discussion (own creations, general knowledge sleights on forums, etc).

Yes, I'm against youtube exposure video too. Everytime I came across one of those, I'm just kindly left a cruel comment message on the video. There's no way you can stop this crap and the only thing you can do is to ignored it.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
Well, the spectators wouldn't really know what to search now would they?

But i totally agree. Opressed Socially retarded Dullards with magic tricks and internet will not go hand in hand. I hate them as well, but frankly - who's going to stop them? Besides (this has been said countless times) It's not the trick, rather it is the performance. BIll Malone perofrms tricks which are obvious to us - but it is not the trick, it is the way he interacts with his audience, the way the poeple feel happy, sad, impressed, shocked that really, in the end, counts.

Somthing to think about.

Oct 5, 2008
For youtube exposure I do dissagree with it, but in some cases I do agree. For easy tricks exposed such as simple double lift tricks or simple color predictions those easy tricks are what gets people started in magic, when people teach the basics of magic. Thats how I learned alot of my beginning effects, I learned them on youtube, everyone has to start somewhere. But such as "hard-hitting" effects which the artist puts alot of time into and some person who clearly hasnt practiced or havnt put any effort at the trick at all posts a video on how a hard hitting trick is done, thats what gets me a little upset, such as greed, sinful, flow, prophet, tricks in that area which the creater really took time and some random person who has no idea what they're doing reveals it, thats when I disagree with youtube exposure.

May 9, 2008
Exposure is a lot like Fight Club.

What is the first rule of Fight Club? Don't talk about Fight Club. What's the second rule of Fight Club? See rule #1.

The same goes for exposure. The first rule of exposure, don't talk about exposure! Just don't talk about it. Talking about exposure only exposes exposure. You're bringing certain circumstances of exposure into light only furthering the exposure of that illusion.

Because you mentioned where to find the exposure, many many people are going to research it, learn it, perform it, and expose it, now that you've informed them it's available, thus furthering exposure.

The best thing you can do is ignore it because there is nothing you can do to stop it.

Oct 9, 2008
Gardena,CA
i think its good and bad the bad part is if i do a trick sombody might know it but the good part is with out youtube i never would have got into magic but yea besides that i hope all those people die of an asthma attack lol

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
The same goes for exposure. The first rule of exposure, don't talk about exposure! Just don't talk about it. Talking about exposure only exposes exposure. You're bringing certain circumstances of exposure into light only furthering the exposure of that illusion.

Totally lost me there :p

i think its good and bad the bad part is if i do a trick sombody might know it but the good part is with out youtube i never would have got into magic but yea besides that i hope all those people die of an asthma attack lol

Well you're nice...:rolleyes:

Mar 3, 2008
Sweden
For youtube exposure I do dissagree with it, but in some cases I do agree. For easy tricks exposed such as simple double lift tricks or simple color predictions those easy tricks are what gets people started in magic, when people teach the basics of magic. Thats how I learned alot of my beginning effects, I learned them on youtube, everyone has to start somewhere. But such as "hard-hitting" effects which the artist puts alot of time into and some person who clearly hasnt practiced or havnt put any effort at the trick at all posts a video on how a hard hitting trick is done, thats what gets me a little upset, such as greed, sinful, flow, prophet, tricks in that area which the creater really took time and some random person who has no idea what they're doing reveals it, thats when I disagree with youtube exposure.

Umm, are you stupid? Double lift is easy yes, BUT it's one of the best utilty moves out there, and of the most used ones too. Why can't the Youtube exposures reveal something like the key card or something? It's enough to begin with. Then if they want to learn some magic they can search "magic trick" at Google and they will find Ellusionist and over there they can buy a DVD or something. I hate when people know how my tricks done becasue they watched a drunk guy explain how it's done on Youtube.

Sep 17, 2008
Maryland
My opinion on Youtube is simple. Don't expose a trick that costs money! Simple double lifts and such things you can look up at the local library. Magic books are such a thing of the past which is sad. I notice it everyday at my work, where my students do not want to read anything. They want to be shown.

If I am ever logged in on Youtube (which is hardly ever) I try to post a comment on those kind of things simply stating that THIS IS NOT THE CORRECT WAY TO DO IT! Or something along those lines. I may even go as far as posting a link to where to buy the trick from. I hate these kinds of things. It is one thing to show someone how to do a trick who is trying to learn more material (magicians do it all the time). But when you are exposing it to the world on the web, it is just stupidity.

I performed Sinful at school and received great reactions, but the next day others came to me and said that they figured it out from searching for it on youtube. That is the most frustrating feeling, to perform the trick successfuly, but have others search for the secret, something that is out of my control. I tried to make it clear that searching for those secrets is unethical, but I cannot control what others do; I have no idea how spectators know to search youtube and expect to find the secrets, and do. I feel like I cannot perform without spectators searching for secrets. What does that prove, why do they do it? It's very frustrating, especially when the person tells others how it is done. Something needs to be done about exposure on youtube, or anyother site for that matter.
-Michael.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
Magic books are such a thing of the past which is sad.

Unfortunately, they seem to be. But they are the largest untapped source of good material out there!

Something needs to be done about exposure on youtube, or anyother site for that matter.
-Michael.

We got that far, but what can be done? we cannot stop people from posting videos, can we?And we cannot teach narcistic pricks about ethics either can we?

I thought it was illegal to post explanations? Are there not copyright infingements or something long those lines? Openly exposing secrets that we paid good money for, and for spectators to find easily as well, something is not right. It is ridiculous that nothing can be done, I am pretty sure it is illegal.

Sep 17, 2008
Maryland
I am not sure about this or not, but if we flood youtube with complaint e-mails for exposure of a trick, wont they take it off? I'm not sure but think that it would violate the copyright laws maybe?

I will check into it. If I find out more information on it I will let you all know. It is easy to search youtube and find the ones exposing it, usually they have more than one video exposing tricks. Maybe if we have enough people complaining about it they will remove the video.

It is worth a shot.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
I guess so. But I think I remember that it's not infringing copyright laws if the person does not post a dvd rip type explanation. It would be like banning users for telling the end of a movie, or the plot of the movie.

but it's worth a shot.

Sep 17, 2008
Maryland
This is what youtube says about copywritten material:

When you create something original, you own the copyright for it. Likewise, when other people create content, they may have a copyright to it. As a creative community, it’s essential that everyone on YouTube respect the copyrights of others. If you’re not sure if something will violate someone’s copyright, the safest thing to do is to create something completely original, with images and audio you’ve created. If it’s all yours you never have to worry about copyright—you own it. If you’ve recorded something from a DVD, videotaped your TV screen, or downloaded a video online, don’t post it unless you have permission.

::EDIT::

After much searching I stumbled upon this e-mail (which by the way, youtube has no real contact e-mail for problems. They make you go around to all kinds of loops in order to have a simple issue resolved).

copyright@youtube.com

If anyone wants to e-mail them regarding copyright material please do so. I already contacted them about a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XI7GH3uwr4

To see what they will do about it. I mentioned Chris Angel and Wayne Houchin as well. If they don't get back to me soon or tell me that I need to contact the actual owner, I will take those steps if need be. I don't know why, but I just got really fired up about this. It has got to stop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 27, 2008
Norway
Good point. But I think something should be done collectively, to encourage other people to sign as well. It also helps keeping track to see if anyone actually sent an email and you're not making a strike on your own ;).

Down with Exposure! Down with Exposure! Narcistic Pricks are Wrong!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results