Performance Ideas

Jun 2, 2013
After over a year of practicing, I think I finally perfected fundamentals down to the point where I can perform tricks. I already perform the basics like ACR, Biddle's Trick, Out of this World, Triumph, TnR, 4 card change, etc. However, I am sure that you guys can help me with ideas.

These are sleights that I can perform comfortably in front of a crowd:
-Double Lift (In several forms)
-Cull (I can cull an entire deck)
-False Cuts
-Cascade Control
-Ego Change
-Erdnase Color Change
-Tenkai Palm
-Steinman
-Flippant Change
-Forcing a Card (I use a cull to force, and sometimes I use Riffle Force)
-Classic Pass (Misdirection required)
-False Riffle Shuffle
-Second Dealing
-Bottom Dealing
-Marlo Tilt
-Elmsley Count
-Biddle Count
-Slop Shuffle
-Bottom Palm
-Underground Change
-Streamlined Switch

Things that I am working on:

-Sidesteal
-Classic Pass
-Top Palm

With this arsenal, what kinds of tricks could be derived?

Sep 1, 2007
You basically are giving as a list of ingredients and asking for recipes. Granted, it's better than what we usually get. To continue the analogy, we get a lot of dudes asking for recipes when their only ingredients are pickles, beer and EZ Cheez.

Do you have a copy of Mark Wilson's? Royal Road? What books are you working from?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
What he said.

You need to learn tricks now, instead of a list of sleights. That way you start to learn how those sleights work together. Then you can dismantle those tricks and reform them to suit yourself. Then you can start to create from the ground up.

No point in jumping from the beginning to the end.

What resources do you have? (As Steer asked)

Jun 2, 2013
What you guys just said is the reason why I posted this thread. In short, I'm hoping that this lazy approach will bring me efficient results :D.

Anyways, My sources come from the Royal Road, Expert at the Card Table, Close Up Card Magic, Kostya Kimlat's Roadrunner Cull Volumes, Shawn Farquhar's Bread and Butter Lecture, Daryl's Collections, Ellusionist Video Collections, and Zach Mueller's Videos.

I specifically learned a few tricks that just look really nice (Extreme Burn 2.0, Tagged, Blank Night, several TnRs).

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
In short, I'm hoping that this lazy approach will bring me efficient results :D.

The only thing laziness ever results in is weight gain and a case of chronic datelessness.

Anyways, My sources come from the Royal Road, Expert at the Card Table, Close Up Card Magic, Kostya Kimlat's Roadrunner Cull Volumes, Shawn Farquhar's Bread and Butter Lecture, Daryl's Collections, Ellusionist Video Collections, and Zach Mueller's Videos.

I specifically learned a few tricks that just look really nice (Extreme Burn 2.0, Tagged, Blank Night, several TnRs).

You have all that. The effects are already there in the books. Just read the damn things. What exactly do you need us for again?

Jun 2, 2013
After thinking more on what I actually want, I realized that what I need is the art of presentation. Ellusionist DVDs already cover this somewhat, but I have trouble being able to keep the atmosphere the way I want it, and make sure that my performance is not boring. I also need tips on audience management, because I don't want to flash sleights that require angles.

Sep 1, 2007
That's a more complicated question. You need to learn writing, speaking, audience management, timing... and the only way to get good at any of these is to just perform and be mindful of what works and what doesn't.

So let's start with writing. Name me three of your favorite fiction authors and what you like about their style and subject matter.

Jun 2, 2013
My current favorite fiction authors would include J.K Rowling, Michael Crichton, and Christopher Paolini. I love to read books that center around mythical/magical stuff.

What I like about Rowling's books are that they provide a well thought out plot, and the fact that her famous Harry Potter series uses the subject of wizardy and mythical creatures make a very interesting read for me. I like that almost all mythical elements stem from a historical context of mythology.

Michael Crichton's Jurrasic Park in particular was a fantastic read. I loved the thought of recreating creatures that no longer existed. I also loved the thought behind the plot, and the amount of realism put into a fictional book. The book to me seemed so realistic (other than the fact that it isn't) that if I was in the future where cloning technology was more refined, I would be totally inclined to believe this story. Again, I love mythical/magical stuff, and although the events occuring in the story are based on technology, I feel that I can put the subjects parallel to each other in this aspect.

Christopher Paolini's best works would be the Inheritance series. I enjoyed these books because they also depict a world of fantasy, where dragons, elves, dwarves, humans, and more exist in the same planet. In addition, the "science" behind occurences that would otherwise be impossible to speculate are very well explained. The climax was...disappointing, but 50 pages of disappointment won't override over 3000 pages of epic adventures.

Sep 1, 2007
Okay, so you really like stories of the mythic type and proportions. We can work with this.

I suggest you get really good at telling stories as that's what all myth is: a collection of stories. Look up the authoress Leil Lowndes and mix her conversational techniques with storytelling. To get a larger perspective on myth, you really should read Joseph Campbell. When you figure out how great stories are put together, it makes it easier to tell them in an interesting way.

Richard Webster has written a number of books on oracles and superstition for the shut-eye market that should give you fodder for your work. You could also look up more about the history of playing cards and their symbols. Mine the history books as well. Sometimes the best stories are the ones you just can't make up.

I don't know how you feel about more... high-class-sort-of material but there's an online guide out there to how flowers were actually used as an entire language a couple centuries ago. Like I said, don't know if that would interest you, but to use or not to use.

Also, try to look for unconventional ways to use the sleights you know. You know how to do Out of This World. If I remember right, Darren Brown did a variation on the effect with a mortician and a stack of photos, half of living people and half deceased. Think of other ways you can take two opposites and create a story or narrative around that separation. The important thing is to keep the logic internally consistent.

Beyond that, I'd advise you to get a copy of Mark Wilson's as there is an essay about performing in there and also just to expand your fundamentals beyond simply cards.

Apr 6, 2011
Lansing, MI
Two quick suggestions, Scripting Magic by Pete McCabe and Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz. Both extremely helpful books towards the art of presentation.

Jun 2, 2013
Thank you guys very much. I was going to question why I should list authors, but the idea of improving my storytelling technique seems very very nice. I will look up the authors that Steerpike suggested as well as Strong Magic (I have heard rumors about it being a wonderful book).

I'll get back to you guys if I need anything, or when I feel ready to move on.

Jun 2, 2013
I looked up Leil Lowndes, and it seems that wrote many books. Which ones should I get? (I'm eyeballing Conversation Confidence and How to Instantly Connect with Anyone).

I also looked up Joseph Campbell. I'll get his books, The Hero With A Thousand Faces, and The Masks of God. Are his videos and audio books worth watching?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Everything Campbell has ever done is golden. "The Hero with a Thousand Faces" is one of those books you have to read before you die.

As for Ms. Lowndes, I think the best starting point is "How to Talk to Anyone." It covers most of the broad strokes of her principles and has advice that can be applied to business as well as casual conversation.

Oct 5, 2012
Definitely agree with looking at Campbell to understand the structure that is at the root of all great stories. It is the structure that is important, not the details (although the details make the story interesting). Also agree on Scripting Magic and Strong Magic with regards to presentation. Another suggestion would be to spend a lot of time watching performances of great magicians. What do you like about them? What makes their effects memorable?

Also, love the idea behind the Derren Brown effect Steerpike mentioned. It is time to start thinking about what you are presenting to your audience, rather than the method that you are using to accomplish it. Magic happens in the minds of the spectator!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results