Performing at a Talent Show...

So for the past few weeks there has been numerous announcements about the "Talent Showcase" , talent show, that will be held at my High School on January 28, 2009. At first I didn't want to do it because I really like doing close-up tricks and I don't know any really great stage effects. But, after my teachers and friends, and random kids telling me to do it I decided to try it. So I went to my animatioin teacher who is running it and asked if there would be any way to do card tricks during the show, so together we came up with a plan.

When I come up on stage to do my act a table wil be brought out for me to work on. In addition, either a person with a video camera or a tripod with a video camera on it will be placed on or around the table. The camera will be hooked up to a laptop and a projector. The tricks will be projected onto a large screen behind me. That way the whole auditorium of about 500-700 people will be able to see the amazing card tricks. Tomorrow I will be seeing him after school to do my audition. hopefully I make the cut.

My act will consist of 3 card tricks. altogether they will last from about 7 - 10 minutes. The all flow smoothly together. The entire act is as follows:

1: I introduce myself. (Half the school already knows me)
2: A teacher helps by picking a card and I do the finger print smear trick from the ultragaff.
3: I then follow up by using that same, now blue deck, to perform David Stone's Travelers.
4: I then proceed to use the Aces in my own variation of Grandpa's Aces. (Dream of Ace's)

NOTE I: The first two effects use patter. The last effect, Grandpa's Aces, is going to use no patter and instead play one of tw songs. I haven't decided yet. It will either play: "The Love Theme From Cousin's" (like copperfeilds) or "Mad World" by Gary Jules.

NOTE II: For those that are wondering, the first place talent show winner gets a check for 200$.

So a couple questions:

Do you like my set list?
Which Song do You Like Better? (links to the songs are below.)

Mad World: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N3N1MlvVc4
Theme From Cousins: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfgaRefagmo

Sep 1, 2007
I'd first of all recommend that you don't do all card tricks. What you have looks good, but I'd throw in one other non-card trick, maybe as a closer. Something that really looks like pure magic--maybe a trick with a bottle (coin in, flow, tk, etc) or a tnr sort of effect.

As for the music, it's a little bit emo. I think people at a talent show would rather be entertained. Choose something more upbeat or something that adds to the presentation. Try these out for size:

Boards of Canada
Plaid
Home Video
RJD2 (I highly recommend this one)
Gorillaz

Jun 24, 2008
United States
I did the same thing for my talent show last year, tried out and made it (surprising for a freshman to make it in especially b/c i didnt know any of the judges) but i made it, and i used a projection screen like what you're going to do. I did all card tricks. I started off with NFW by Gary Freed(jokers to aces) then i did a more impromptu version of NFW but im not sure what its called, then i performed my ambitious card, all with patter and no music. it turns out i got 2nd place and $50. It was an odd year because freshman placed 1st and 2nd place. Good Luck with your show, and i hope you win the $200 haha.

~Nate

I'd first of all recommend that you don't do all card tricks. What you have looks good, but I'd throw in one other non-card trick, maybe as a closer. Something that really looks like pure magic--maybe a trick with a bottle (coin in, flow, tk, etc) or a tnr sort of effect.

As for the music, it's a little bit emo. I think people at a talent show would rather be entertained. Choose something more upbeat or something that adds to the presentation. Try these out for size:

Boards of Canada
Plaid
Home Video
RJD2 (I highly recommend this one)
Gorillaz

Here is the thing though. By request I am doing all card tricks. also, it is what I am good at. Sure, I know a couple coin tricks and spongeball things. And I know some other stuff too but nothing that has a WOW factor for this environment.

And about the music being Emo. I am a rocker type kid. I wear I black and grey sweatshirt with skulls on it. Heavy metal T-shirts chains on my wallet and boots. It fits my personal style. Also, the entire thing is going to be a bit dark. Not creepy but dimly lit and more mysterious.

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
Here is the thing though. By request I am doing all card tricks. also, it is what I am good at. Sure, I know a couple coin tricks and spongeball things. And I know some other stuff too but nothing that has a WOW factor for this environment.

And about the music being Emo. I am a rocker type kid. I wear I black and grey sweatshirt with skulls on it. Heavy metal T-shirts chains on my wallet and boots. It fits my personal style. Also, the entire thing is going to be a bit dark. Not creepy but dimly lit and more mysterious.

I think you should close with Theme from cousins and do Daniel Garcia's Life.

-Michael

May 3, 2008
Wow you're lucky; I only get 4 minutes with my show and no cash prize. Anyway, there's no point in asking whether it's good or not because at this point it's too late to change it. Just do what you know and what you're comfortable with.

Sep 1, 2007

I never said that you were emo. But that music sure is.

All I'm saying is that people might get tired of straight up card and packet tricks. Mix it up some. I mean, there are plenty of great card ticks with more wow factor. Angle Zero is great. Distortion is great. Card in Bottle is great. IT is great. TnRs are great. Blizzard is great. The Anything Deck is great. Bat Fishing is great. Don't limit yourself.

Also, take advantage of one of the great aspects of magic--that people can participate. Have some audience interaction.

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
Your choices look good to me, I think its cool you get to do close up stuff on stage.

If your like cards, do cards. Like you said, its what your best at.
Dont worry about trying to add something else.

I really dont know what kinda music to use, when Copperfield did the Grandpa aces , his music was really elegant.
I think it would be cool for you to add your own punk rock flavor to it, maybe spice things up.

hope that helps

one more thing, if you did want to add something. D+M angle zero would be a really cool effect to use, if you dont have it you can get it in the 1 on 1 section.

its really simple, and you could have the corner appear anywhere in the room, under a chair, in a friends pocket, etc.

just a thought

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Ill just start with song choice.
I like the cousin thing more.
anyways
I highly disagree with performing fully card tricks as its sort of like "oh not card tricks again..."
I am known in my school for performing card tricks and close ups. I then held a 1 hour show which I performed fully hard hitting mentalism. Everyone was caught by surprise and it killed.
basically. I would recommend hard hitting mentalism as it allows a lot of the audience to experience it and it is also one of the most baffling. A simple tossed out deck will open great and it can then lead you on to some other things. You can also take the serious/geek approach where you perform tricks demonstrating the "strength of the mind" and all that bs. Take a look at Sean Field's Tome. Some geek will also work great. A needle swallowing routine perhaps or what not.
But if you do really want to perform card tricks/ close up. I recommend you perform a nice little opener then go into 1 long flowing routine. So perform something simple such as... the...tossed out deck (im sorry im out of ideas) and say that that was the mind and what not, now youll use your hands. Then go into a long sleight of hand routine with no patter. Ive seen quite a few. And I dont remember the guy who really entertained me, but he was on a "Great Magic of Las Vegas" special. He performed a routine for about 5 minutes straight without patter. He opened with an Ace production, going into a shuffling then producing again (poker cheating element). Then he produces four coins and vanishes the whole deck but the four aces. He goes into the simplest Coin Matrix. He then does it once again in a more impossible environment with more controlled factors, but then he adds a kicker of a Backfire. He finally vanishes the cards and coins one by one. This is an amazing routine. Now im not telling you to copy this, but create something similiar. End with producing a cup of liquid or what ever and you will get a standing ovation.
Hope this has helped.

Urgent update!!!

I have just learned that my act will be 5 minutes long. Not a problem at all. My routine will just be shortened down to my Grandpa's ace Routine. It is a great trick and very cool. I will also be using the Theme From Cousin's. Now, I will merely have my quick intro and talk about the history behind my magic then go into the Ace routine. But at the end each ace will be shaken and visually turn blank. Now, here is why I chose to do card tricks.

1: I love card tricks.
2: All my friends, peers, bosses, teachers, family, etc love card tricks.
3: I was requested to do card tricks.
4: My version of Grandpa's Aces has been going through many changes and I think it's time to use it.
5: It flows with the music.
6: Not many people remember this effect. (excluding some adults.) Kids will get to see an old trick rekindled.
7: It will allow me to live on my more mysterious inside. With the music and no words.
8: I don't love Mentalism or coins and sponges won't flow with it.
9: I don't want to buy a new trick for the sake of a talent show...

10: I feel that it is a bad idea to buy a new effect 5 days before the show as i will not have sufficent time to practice it nd learn it to the best of my ability. But the Grandpa Ace trick has been in practice for many months and it is finally time to show the public. The only people who have seen it are my parents and the guy running the show. (I had to show him for tryouts.)

Are those not good reasons. Also, I love watching Copperfeild and this will be a fun thing for me. I get to do my own variation of his effect while using the same items such as cameras and projectors. But it is not like I'm entering, expecting to win 200$ dollars. Let me tell you why I entered.

1: Everyone wanted me to perform card effects.
2: It will be fun.
3: I will get to listen to the bands and see the other acts backstage for free.
4: The anticipation of the event is killer but worth it.
5: I will get to bring back a forgotten effect.
6: The idea of winning money is fun.
7: there is always that .0001% chance I'll win 200$ 100$ or 50$.

8: THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT: it is great expiriance and a time of learning. I will be able to stand in front of a huge crowd trying to hold back vomit while I try to perform. It will be a learing expiriance for me and will be a great fun. I will post the results after the show on Wednesday.

Dylan P.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results