Pinned

Pinned By Jamie Daws

Intro: Jamie recently had a prize drawing at the Magic Cafe where five lucky people would receive a free copy of Jamie Daws Pinned. I was one of those five and I am very happy to have won Pinned! So a big "thank you" to Jamie!

Trick: Pinned

Creator: Jamie Daws

Price: £5.50 ($11)

Where Can I Get It? Direct from Jamie,, another shop, or yet another place.

Effect:
The spectator notices the magician in wearing a badge which displays a digital clock. The time displayed is 10:32. The magician takes the badge off his shirt and explains how he never really liked wearing a watch, he found them too expensive and uncomfortable.

So he now displays the time on his badge, still just as fashionable as a watch and for next to nothing! However, it has been a couple of minutes since he took the badge off and it has not gone forward in time. The magician rubs the badge and it is seen to change and go forward in time, the clock now displays 10:35! The badge is handed to the spectator to examine.

The magician then explains that with normal watches you cannot go back in time. But with this Digi-Badge you can. To prove it, you rub the badge once more and it's seen to vanish. It's no longer in your hand! You redirect their attention to the part of your shirt where the badge came from. Amazingly, the badge is back, pinned to your shirt with the original time of 10:32!

What Do I Get? You will receive two pages of instructions, printed on front and back, with clear pictures and several different variations on Pinned. You also will get 2 small, black, quarter-sized buttons, a safety pin, and a special gimmick.

Quality of the Supplies: The buttons are well made and appear to have been made by a professional, which they probably are. The gimmick will last you forever if you take care of it and don't do anything stupid with it. The instructions are well printed as well. Overall, I was pleased with the quality of everything included.

Clarity of Instructions: The instructions are well-written and I didn't find any type-o's or any other problems with them. I could understand all of the instructions very easily. The pictures are clear and help with the instructions as well.

Method: The method was pretty similar to what I thought, but don't let that turn you away. Jamie has turned this simple method into a good routine that might make it's way into a lot of your's walk-around routines. It's simple, but most importantly, it works.

Set-Up: The set-up takes about a minute and is super easy. Plus you wear the button so there is nothing floating around in your pocket.

Reset: The reset is instant! Hoorah! This makes it great for restaurants, walk-around, etc. This is one of my favorite features about Pinned.

Angles: There aren't really any serious angle problems here. With the exception of one move, I would consider it angle proof. That move is eliminated in Liam Montier's variation, which I'll talk about later. Plus, you can exchange another move for that one very easily. I think you'll enjoy the versatility of this effect!

Difficulty: Only about two simple moves are used. You most likely already know one of them, and the other one is super-simple and shouldn't cause you too many problems. You might just have to work on a bit of misdirection and timing to get going smoothly at this.

Who is This Recommended For? Close-up , walk-around, restaurant, "street" magicians, and the casual performer.

Additional Handlings

In The Hands of Time (Liam Montier)
This is Liam Montier's version of the effect, in which the time changes in the spectator's hands. This is a less visual approach, but it makes the effect angle-proof and, to me, it eliminates the idea of "he had two buttons." Plus it involves the spectators which is always a good thing in any effect. When I perform Pinned, I will use this idea!

Box Badge (Jamie Daws)
Here Jamie presents an idea to use Pinned with a card box. For me personally, I would stick with the shirt method because it seems more natural, but I can see how some people might prefer this method. The card box could help tie your card routines together with your non-card stuff, I'm still not convinced that I should perform it this way though.

Predict Badge (Jamie Daws)
This is Jamie's approach to the add-a-number plot where he can incorporates it into the Pinned routine. Basically three random numbers are added together by a spectator and the total is found to match the number on your badge which you performed Pinned with earlier. As he says, it's a "very bare-essentials" version. In other, don't expect anything too new or ingenious in the method. I'm not sure if I like putting the two routines together or not. I would certainly put a time delay in between the two routines if I did perform it this way. Some of you will like this and others will feel indifferent about it.

Secret Bonus Tip: Jamie gave me a helpful tip that makes it more workable and normal for me, so if you can prove you have Pinned, I will PM you the bonus tip. This will allow you to not have to wear a jacket.

Overall: An 8/10. Don't expect anything super new here, just a good solid routine. I really like it and I think a lot of you will too!

Jan 16, 2008
Hmmm...pretty interesting.
One question though; can't I achieve the same effect with 2 pins, a French Drop, and misdirection while I pin back the 10:32 badge on my shirt?

If it's exposure, no need to reply.

Nice review btw.

::dAvid

Hmmm...pretty interesting.
One question though; can't I achieve the same effect with 2 pins, a French Drop, and misdirection while I pin back the 10:32 badge on my shirt?

If it's exposure, no need to reply.

Nice review btw.

::dAvid
No, it's not the same effect. There is a special gimmick you receive that makes the effect so much easier. Good question though!

Thanks for the for the comment!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results