Pivotal Sleights in Card Magic

May 10, 2018
Hey, so I'm just asking a question and wondering what you all think about it.

So, what do you think are a few of the most pivotal sleights in card magic? For me, they would have to be:

- The Classic Pass
- The Pushover Double Lift

What do you think?

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
I think that the Classic Pass is a pivotal move. It has roots embedded in card magic since the late 1700's. There are a wide variety of covering actions that help conceal the fundamental move. The Double Lift is another one of those moves that have been around for awhile and also comes in many forms. Moreover, I think that in order to perform entertaining magic the number is actually higher than just a few. In my opinion the top 10 most pivotal moves in card magic are:

1.Double Lift
2.Classic Pass
3.Glide
4.Palm
5. Top/Bottom Change
6.Backslip
7.Overhand Shuffle
8.Hindu Shuffle
9.Riffle Shuffle
10. False Shuffles.

Dec 29, 2017
Copping, lapping and sleeving.

I went with things that I felt expanded past just magic and saw practical usage.

Copping for its use in various loads. Lapping as it’s a quick and effective way to get rid of something while tabled. Finally sleeving because of how prolific of a concept it would become and it’s efficacy. I mean people still start things with the joke or real point of “Check, Nothing up my sleeves...” and it’s old gambling uses.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Hey, so I'm just asking a question and wondering what you all think about it.

So, what do you think are a few of the most pivotal sleights in card magic? For me, they would have to be:

- The Classic Pass
- The Pushover Double Lift

What do you think?

I think the classic pass is far from pivotal. In fact, I can't name a single routine where it is required. As for the pushover double lift, a strike double is probably better, but any type of double will do when you need it.

My list would be:

A force
A control
A palm
A false count
A double lift
A color change

The more you know if each, the better able you are able to choose the right move for the effect.

May 10, 2018
Moreover, I think that in order to perform entertaining magic the number is actually higher than just a few.
I totally agree, it was very hard for me to narrow mine down to two.
I think the classic pass is far from pivotal. In fact, I can't name a single routine where it is required.
I use the classic pass in a lot of ways - I guess we all have different opinions on it.
The more you know if each, the better able you are able to choose the right move for the effect.
I totally agree, thank you for sharing your list.

Reactions: Al e Cat Dabra
Jul 26, 2016
The Double Undercut or any good control of a card(s) to top or bottom

Any convincing False Cut

A natural looking Double Lift/Double Turnover

A deceptive Top Change

Magical looking Color Changes

Reactions: Gabriel Z.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results