Playing Card Design

Jan 21, 2008
I freely admit I am as fickle as every other person on here when it comes to the newest, prettiest addition to the playing cards style. Ellusionist seem to want to try every possible variation of the rider back design possible, and trumpet the fact that the colours are now Black/White/Red/Blue/Faded. I have several of their decks, and they are pretty, and do cause and ooooo factor. I like the fact that T11 went in their own direction, with their own backs. The Guardians do seem a little 'graphic art' for me, and in that respect I think the Centurions have a far better overall aesthetic.

With the Propaganda design, certain elements seem to have changed more dramatically. The back design seems to be even more of a departure from the traditional style and the way the Ace of Spades and the Joker are styled seem to be a deliberate step away. However, the rest of the deck, including the court cards remain exactly the same.

I find myself wondering with each of the decks, why the design goes so far and then stops? Any one else think it was a missed opportunity in the Centurions to have traditional Medieval styled Kings, Queens and Jacks? Personally I would have loved to have seen a Centurion, Bodeciea and Legionnaire. On the Guardians, why not Zeus, Aphrodite and Apollo?

Fundamentally, every deck face up looks almost identical. It just seems like a missed opportunity to me.

Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
I freely admit I am as fickle as every other person on here when it comes to the newest, prettiest addition to the playing cards style. Ellusionist seem to want to try every possible variation of the rider back design possible, and trumpet the fact that the colours are now Black/White/Red/Blue/Faded. I have several of their decks, and they are pretty, and do cause and ooooo factor. I like the fact that T11 went in their own direction, with their own backs. The Guardians do seem a little 'graphic art' for me, and in that respect I think the Centurions have a far better overall aesthetic.

With the Propaganda design, certain elements seem to have changed more dramatically. The back design seems to be even more of a departure from the traditional style and the way the Ace of Spades and the Joker are styled seem to be a deliberate step away. However, the rest of the deck, including the court cards remain exactly the same.

I find myself wondering with each of the decks, why the design goes so far and then stops? Any one else think it was a missed opportunity in the Centurions to have traditional Medieval styled Kings, Queens and Jacks? Personally I would have loved to have seen a Centurion, Bodeciea and Legionnaire. On the Guardians, why not Zeus, Aphrodite and Apollo?

Fundamentally, every deck face up looks almost identical. It just seems like a missed opportunity to me.

I'd rather see Kronos, Gaia and Atlas :p I think a new style to the court cards would be nice but at the same time it could be a mistake.

Oct 25, 2008
Michigan
I understand where you are coming from here, but the way I see it T11 is selling cards to magicians, not card collectors. You can only jar someone's concept of what a deck should look like so much before they think you're using special 'magic' cards. I think that in selling cards here T11 fully expects people to use them for magic and they probably drew the line for a good reason.

Oct 18, 2007
Germany
the way I see it T11 is selling cards to magicians, not card collectors. special 'magic' cards. I think that in selling cards here T11 fully expects people to use them for magic and they probably drew the line for a good reason.

lol i think that t11 cards look also like "special cards" imo i use tallys and bics for magic and t11 and E cards to collect or for flourishing ... a few days ago a layman asket me if my bicycle cards ( normal ) where special cards xD .. so i wouldnt juse t11 and E cards imo ( for magic ) ... but thats only my point of view

Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
I've been asked in several different situations whether or not my T11 cards are 'special'. During flourishing I've also had people assume that the cards are magnectic. People amuse me greatly! :D

Oct 25, 2008
Michigan
lol i think that t11 cards look also like "special cards" imo i use tallys and bics for magic and t11 and E cards to collect or for flourishing ... a few days ago a layman asked me if my bicycle cards ( normal ) where special cards xD .. so i wouldnt use t11 and E cards imo ( for magic ) ... but thats only my point of view

Yeah, I know what you mean. I borrowed a deck at a party once for a few tricks, and people still thought I did something to them to make them magic. I guess it doesn't really matter if your using bicycle's or anything else if people want to believe that you are using special magic cards you wont convince them otherwise.

Nov 6, 2007
i like the idea also, and i also like the court cards from the smokes and mirrors, they played around with them and i really like the result!

Great idea! go t11, produce some other faces :cool:

Jan 21, 2008
I think my query is also based around the fact that as soon as you introduce ANY deck of cards and pull one trick, people will be suspicious, no matter how good your presentation of the deck. There are always interesting Ace designs that are supposedly accepted, but I just thought you could build some exceptional patter around the court cards. Gods, Monsters, Demons, Killers, Heroes. The design cues could be extremely varied. I mean like the previous suggestions, the Propaganda deck could have the famous heroes, and then lead to some interesting assembly stories. The Collectors would be more elegant if it was commanders catching trophies.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results