Please Help Me Find The Name Of A Trick I Just Saw

Sep 12, 2021
Hi,

I am by no means a magician but always loved watching the effects of a good trick and this weekend I was at a bachelor party and one of the guys there (who has no magician experience) pulled probably the best trick i've ever had done to me and would love to find out the name and research it myself. I think it was a variation of "oil and water" but so much more developed as I as the spectator could do a lot of the trick.

From what I can see it was just one deck of cards (not a trick deck he took it from another guy in the group).

Started laying down shuffled deck of cards red and black in two different piles without looking at the cards which was impressive. But then started asking me to point to either red or black pile in a random order and cards appeared according to my random calls either red or black. That impressed me from an amateur magician but assumed he was just dealing off the top/bottom depending on my call.

But the best bit is he gave me the cards and i started dealing them out of my own hand and they were appearing red or black as I placed them on the correct pile completely randomly whether I put 1 card down or 10 at a time all through the entire deck of 52.

This demonstration is pretty much it

Could someone let me know the name so I can try to learn it please?

Thanks

Reactions: Gabriel Z.
Nov 13, 2019
Hi,

I am by no means a magician but always loved watching the effects of a good trick and this weekend I was at a bachelor party and one of the guys there (who has no magician experience) pulled probably the best trick i've ever had done to me and would love to find out the name and research it myself. I think it was a variation of "oil and water" but so much more developed as I as the spectator could do a lot of the trick.

From what I can see it was just one deck of cards (not a trick deck he took it from another guy in the group).

Started laying down shuffled deck of cards red and black in two different piles without looking at the cards which was impressive. But then started asking me to point to either red or black pile in a random order and cards appeared according to my random calls either red or black. That impressed me from an amateur magician but assumed he was just dealing off the top/bottom depending on my call.

But the best bit is he gave me the cards and i started dealing them out of my own hand and they were appearing red or black as I placed them on the correct pile completely randomly whether I put 1 card down or 10 at a time all through the entire deck of 52.

This demonstration is pretty much it

Could someone let me know the name so I can try to learn it please?

Thanks

Might of already watched a tutorial but I strongly advise against it for this trick if you haven't. This is the only trick I ever revealed the method of and the reaction of my friend who was so eager was just a huh of dissapointment.
I mean it is still my favourite trick of all time with no-one ever figuring it out, but that one time has teached me why the never revealing the secret is so important...

(Although if you want to learn it to perform to friends etc. that is fine in my eyes, just make sure your not spoiling the magic - but everyone has their own views)

Reactions: RealityOne
Sep 12, 2021
Might of already watched a tutorial but I strongly advise against it for this trick if you haven't. This is the only trick I ever revealed the method of and the reaction of my friend who was so eager was just a huh of dissapointment.
I mean it is still my favourite trick of all time with no-one ever figuring it out, but that one time has teached me why the never revealing the secret is so important...

(Although if you want to learn it to perform to friends etc. that is fine in my eyes, just make sure your not spoiling the magic - but everyone has their own views)

Thanks for the input, to be honest i often get a wave of disappointment when i find out how most tricks are done so totally agree do not share the secret with the people that just were impressed by it. Id love to still learn the name of it and learn it for myself though as the effect was amazing

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
First trick is a Triumph type trick. The Second trick is called Out of this World. :)

A perfect example why combining two effects doesn't make it stronger but instead dilutes the effect. I understand why the Triumph portion was necessary due to the shuffled deck, but a straight forward OOTW with a false shuffle would be just as powerful. Also, there are better methods of OOTW that don't involve the bit of business at the end.

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
People regularly make "how can I learn this trick" posts which I am torn with respect to how to answer. On one hand there is the direct answer to the actual question asked, name the trick and give a resource where it can be learned. On the other, there is the real answer. Suggest that they start to learn that area of magic in general and they will learn how to do the trick properly in due course.

It's not that we don't want to help you learn the trick in the video, it's that we don't want you to learn to do it as it's done in the video.
There are significant issues with the performance in the video, though this is not the time for that. The problem with just learning one trick without learning what proper technique looks like is that you can end up with a performance like this. They have shoehorned in a poorly executed Triumph effect to get around having to learn the proper technique for, as pointed out above, what is generally considered an inferior version of Out of This World.

Having said that, the original version can be found in Paul Curry's Worlds Beyond. Best of All Worlds contains 50 variations of the trick. Both have recently been reprinted. Proper technique can be found in the Card College series by Robert Giobbi. Chapter 44 (Vol. 4) contains techniques that would be well suited here. Though if you are really trying to learn this early on note that Chapter 44 is an extension of Chapter 13 (Volume 1) and you can skip ahead from 13 to 44 to find the technique that suits your purpose. Or ask here when you get that far and we will gladly offer our opinions.

You might find Card College fun and want to learn more. Best of All Worlds does contain versions that require little technique.

There perhaps a different possible question: If I want to learn just on trick but not learn magic overall, what trick should that be? I'm not sure what it is, but it would make a good topic for a thread.

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
People regularly make "how can I learn this trick" posts which I am torn with respect to how to answer. On one hand there is the direct answer to the actual question asked, name the trick and give a resource where it can be learned. On the other, there is the real answer. Suggest that they start to learn that area of magic in general and they will learn how to do the trick properly in due course.

It's not that we don't want to help you learn the trick in the video, it's that we don't want you to learn to do it as it's done in the video.
There are significant issues with the performance in the video, though this is not the time for that. The problem with just learning one trick without learning what proper technique looks like is that you can end up with a performance like this. They have shoehorned in a poorly executed Triumph effect to get around having to learn the proper technique for, as pointed out above, what is generally considered an inferior version of Out of This World.

Having said that, the original version can be found in Paul Curry's Worlds Beyond. Best of All Worlds contains 50 variations of the trick. Both have recently been reprinted. Proper technique can be found in the Card College series by Robert Giobbi. Chapter 44 (Vol. 4) contains techniques that would be well suited here. Though if you are really trying to learn this early on note that Chapter 44 is an extension of Chapter 13 (Volume 1) and you can skip ahead from 13 to 44 to find the technique that suits your purpose. Or ask here when you get that far and we will gladly offer our opinions.

You might find Card College fun and want to learn more. Best of All Worlds does contain versions that require little technique.

There perhaps a different possible question: If I want to learn just on trick but not learn magic overall, what trick should that be? I'm not sure what it is, but it would make a good topic for a thread.

Thanks for this information DavidL11229 ..... I used to think that Paul Currys Magicians Magic was the original source for OOTW. Guess I was wrong. Thanks again.

Reactions: RealityOne

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
I suppose it would be more accurate to have said that the original version was reprinted in Paul Curry's Worlds Beyond. It was simply what first came to mind as the most currently accessible place to find the original version. It can of course also be found in Best of All Worlds, a better choice for someone mainly interested in this effect. I enjoy both books.

I believe the effect was originally a stand alone product. As to where it first appeared in a book or magazine, your memory may be correct. A quick look through the above mentioned books did not yield an answer.

Reactions: Gabriel Z.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I used to think that Paul Currys Magicians Magic was the original source for OOTW.

OOTW as put out by Paul Curry in 1942 as a stand alone booklet. Curry self published Magician's Magic in 1965. That book is currently available as a reprint and has the story in it of how Harry Green performed it for and fooled Winston Churchill. In my opinion the best versions are by Eugene Burger, Paul Harris and Jon Armstrong.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results