Please Help

Sep 13, 2010
Faridabad
Hey Guys!!!

Its not so much of time that I have been into cardistry. But after learning some one-handed cuts and some flourishes I decided to go to Pandora. It doesn't see so difficult as people say!!!

But It is, in some manners to me, difficult even to start. I have been working on this since past 4 days. And the problem I am facing is I can not grip the packet between my right hand's little finger and base of left hand's thumb. This position starts actually from the very beginning but little finger comes in play after rotating the bottom packet and pivoting it with the base of thumb when the pealed card is clipped by the right hand's middle and ring fingers. I cannot do this from the very beginning. The cards get slip from the exact point on the base of thumb and starts moving from one point to another as I move further in executing the Pandora and finally, the cards fall down.

The main problem I am facing is only with this packet. I can't grip it in between the little finger and base of thumb and move/rotate it.

Guys please help me in solving this frustrating problem!!!

Its somewhat difficult to understand your exact problem but my best advice would be to really perfct the tornado cut before moving to pandora, and then watch the pandora tut as many times as you can bear.

Sep 13, 2010
Faridabad
Its somewhat difficult to understand your exact problem but my best advice would be to really perfct the tornado cut before moving to pandora, and then watch the pandora tut as many times as you can bear.

ok dude!

look guys I didn't mean that I want to get this flourish in my hands in just 3 or 4 days. I am not afraid of hard practice. But I wanted to start practicing with right technique. I thought that I am handling the cards in wrong way. I just wanted to confirm that why my grip is not comfortable - is there anything that I am doing wrong. I know that it will take time and lots of time, but I just wanted that I don't go wrong way!!

I think I have got answer. May be first learning the tornado will help me as it uses the same technique in which I am actually facing the problems in pandora. So, UnknownMagician93 from where can I learn Tornado???? Please tell me the source which teaches fundamentals very clearly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
if you want to start practicing with the right technique than just watch the explanation. other than that there's not much we can give you. you just need to practice and find what works for you and what doesn't. there aren't any hidden secrets no one is telling you. As for the grip not being comfortable, thats common, your doing something with your hands you've never done before, its gonna feel weird for awhile, just keep PRACTICING. as for the the Tornado Cut dvd, the only first hand source is Ashford Kneitel (sp?)'s original video which is not sold anywhere. You can purchase it directly from him by emailing him. its about 20 bucks plus shipping. But to be honest, you wont gain much from it on the technique itself that you can get from Dan and Dave's instruction on the Trilogy. It just teaches' some additional applications and goes over the basics. Best chance is to watch it on the trilogy again, and just keep practicing. You can check out the Virts tips on their youtube channel but recognize that while they teach their tips as FACT, it isn't. In the end its what works best for your hands and your style, not theirs. So just play around with the move and PRACTICE (sensing the theme yet?) Because everyone is different.

^ he said it pretty much, but I want to let you know, If you try for about another week or so and cant get the tornado I can make you a private Tutorial. but i want you to try on your own first

Sep 13, 2010
Faridabad
if you want to start practicing with the right technique than just watch the explanation. other than that there's not much we can give you. you just need to practice and find what works for you and what doesn't. there aren't any hidden secrets no one is telling you. As for the grip not being comfortable, thats common, your doing something with your hands you've never done before, its gonna feel weird for awhile, just keep PRACTICING. as for the the Tornado Cut dvd, the only first hand source is Ashford Kneitel (sp?)'s original video which is not sold anywhere. You can purchase it directly from him by emailing him. its about 20 bucks plus shipping. But to be honest, you wont gain much from it on the technique itself that you can get from Dan and Dave's instruction on the Trilogy. It just teaches' some additional applications and goes over the basics. Best chance is to watch it on the trilogy again, and just keep practicing. You can check out the Virts tips on their youtube channel but recognize that while they teach their tips as FACT, it isn't. In the end its what works best for your hands and your style, not theirs. So just play around with the move and PRACTICE (sensing the theme yet?) Because everyone is different.

Thank you very much man!!!

^ he said it pretty much, but I want to let you know, If you try for about another week or so and cant get the tornado I can make you a private Tutorial. but i want you to try on your own first.

Ok, Sure buddy!!
and Thanks!

May 10, 2010
Pandora doesn't seem hard.... until you get down and try to learn it. I myself started to learn Pandora a few months back and the first phase itself made me avoid it for a week or two. Then I decided to myself, "anything is possible" and I sat down and watched, re-watched and watched the tutorial again and again, with countless repeats until I got the basic mechanics. Honestly Pandora is not easy to perfect because of certain actions that happen simultaneously. I think you yourself have to figure out the "best way to do this and the best way to do that" by experimenting around and constantly practicing. Even though I can do Pandora at a decent speed, I could never do it completely smoothly within the same time. It's been months since I sat down and learnt Pandora from scratch, and sometimes I still re-visit the explanation just to see if there's anything I can do to improve. That said, jrobarts05 is definitely right in saying that practice is all there is to it. Only with practice will you be able to figure out how to overcome certain obstacles you face. Nevertheless, do not be afraid of the long periods of practice you will need to put in in order to perfect this flourish. Pandora is an amazing flourish and it will take effort and time, but I wish you all the best.

May 30, 2010
Australia
another good tip I got was from Huron Low. He said in learning a new flourish, you have to do it very slow, as in super slow mode for the first two weeks. This gives the fingers the time to adjust to the packets, the pressures and the little bits of touches. Yes, it may be tempting to speed it up after 3 days, but still doing it slow will pay off... :)

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
if you want to start practicing with the right technique than just watch the explanation. other than that there's not much we can give you. you just need to practice and find what works for you and what doesn't. there aren't any hidden secrets no one is telling you. As for the grip not being comfortable, thats common, your doing something with your hands you've never done before, its gonna feel weird for awhile, just keep PRACTICING.

Well said mate.

Dec 20, 2009
Mumbai, India
another good tip I got was from Huron Low. He said in learning a new flourish, you have to do it very slow, as in super slow mode for the first two weeks. This gives the fingers the time to adjust to the packets, the pressures and the little bits of touches. Yes, it may be tempting to speed it up after 3 days, but still doing it slow will pay off... :)

Thats a GREAT tip. The same technique works with pen-spinning too. Its really helpful.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results