Porper Card Clip question

Mar 2, 2016
United States
Hello all,

I've been using my Porper card clip for a few months now and I don't think I'm using it correctly. I find that whenever I use it, it deforms and/or crushes the tuck case in some way.

Is there any way to truly break it in? Do I pull the sides of the metal clip to try to expand the size? Any tips or instructional videos on card clips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
SETUP

Hold the Porper Clip in your left hand with the open end facing toward your right hand. The tip of your thumb should be placed on top of the clip in the middle of the upper half of the clip. The tip of your index finger should be placed on the bottom of the clip in the middle of the upper half. The tips of your middle, ring and pinkie fingers should be placed on the bottom of the clip on the inside (right) edge of the lower half of the clip.

Hold the deck in your right hand (it doesn't matter which side of the deck is facing up). Place the tip of your thumb on top of the deck in the middle, place your index finger on the outer (right) edge of the deck so that the tip of your finger touches the corner and place you middle, ring and pinkie fingers on the diagonal (with your ring finger in the middle, your middle finger in the middle of the top right quarter of the deck and your pinkie in the middle of the bottom left quarter of the deck).

MISDIRECTION

At this point, I usually scratch my nose with the back of my right hand and then gesture to the audience. That provides the necessary misdirection for "the move."

"THE MOVE"

Bring the clip and the decks together in the middle of your body. Make this a big motion so as to conceal the smaller slight that you will be doing. Angle the deck so that the upper inner (left) corner is directed toward the middle of the clip. You can do this through a slight leftward movement of your right wrist. Resist the urge to stick your left pinkie out at this point. That makes the move look sloppy and draws attention to what you are doing.

As the deck approaches the clip, slide your left middle finger out a quarter of an inch beyond the edge of the clip in the middle. This move should be covered by the corner of approaching deck. Practice getting the timing right before going to the next step.

The moment before the deck touches the clip, rotate your right wrist counterclockwise so that the deck moves approximately 12.5 degrees with the inner (left) edge being lower than the outer (right) edge. Your extended left middle finger should provide a "ramp" for the bottom corner of the deck.

The timing on the next step is crucial. As the top inner (right) edge of the deck catches the inside of the clip, rotateyour wrist clockwise so that the deck is now level with the clip. Push the deck into the clip using your left index finger. As you are pushing the deck in at an angle, bend your right wrist inward (toward the left) so that the outer (right) edge of the deck ends up at a 45 degree angle with the inner (right) edge of the clip. At that point, push on the lower outer (right) edge of the deck with the pads at base of your index and middle fingers (more so the index finger, but don't worry if it shifts slightly toward the base of the middle finger). As you are doing this, slide your right thumb so it is parallel with the bottom of the deck with the tip of your thumb at the inner (left) edge. Keep pushing until the deck is inserted in the clip. Note, at this point the bottom of the deck will be sticking out of the clip. Don't worry about this. The position of the clip and your hand will keep this concealed from the audience.

With your thumb -- which was extended so the tip is on the inner (left) edge of the bottom of the deck and the base is along the outer (right) edge of the deck (essentially covering the bottom of the deck) -- push the bottom of the deck into the clip. As you are pushing the deck in, angle your wrist to the left and run your right index finger along the side of the deck thus concealing the motion of the thumb.

VARIATION

You can also do "the move" with the bottom of the deck. This is really effective if your audience knows the "top" move. The essential difference is that the deck is positioned in the clip at a 45 degree angle from the bottom of the clip and is pushed in by the first phalanx of your right index finger.

TIPS

It is best to practice the sequence of moves so that you don't have to look when performing it. It provides added misdirection if you can talk to the audience while doing this. In fact, with enough practice, you can get to the point where the audience will not be aware that you have done anything magical.

REMOVAL OF DECK

Start with the clip in the left hand using the same position that you used to put the deck in the clip. Grasp the deck (which is still in the clip) with your right thumb along the bottom -- the tip being in the middle of the bottom -- and your middle finger being along the top of the deck -- the tip of that finger being in the middle of the top. Rotate your hand clockwise, pulling the top outer (right) edge out and once it reaches a 45 degree angle with the deck pull your hand back and slightly to the right while applying moderate pressure with your thumb and middle finger.

REALITY CHECK

Make sure you have the right size clip for your cards. Many custom cards require the larger clip or the removal of several cards (Jokers and advertising cards). Also, as you are beginning with the clip, you may want to remove the ad cards from the deck to make it easier.

Finally, the clip is designed to keep your cards in good condition. It doesn't protect the box. It is a worthwhile trade-off in my book. And hey, the slightly beat-up box makes you look more experienced.

Good luck.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results