Practice Partner

Nov 5, 2007
Benicia, CA
I've been working with cards on and off for about 4 years or so (mostly off). Because of my lack of practice, I'm still a total beginner. Most of my friends are spread out (10-20 minute drive out of town) and none are into card magic. So I practice alone. I think I'm suffering from this, cause I'm not getting any feedback on where and how to improve, and I'm not building any confidence in my skills through playing to a regular practice audience. I'm wondering if I should breakdown and ask my wife to be my practice audience. It would cetainly spoil the tricks for her, as she'd see all my flaws. I'm totally torn over this.

My goal is to build enough skills to wow by buddies at poker night now and then, and to entertain my men when I deploy (I'm in the Marine Corps Reserves). I'd like to be able to show off to my wife as well, but... I need a practice partner/audience.

How do others out there practice tricks? Do you talk to yourself practicing your patter? Do you just go through the motions setting a selected card or whatever on a flat surface to simulate somebody holding a card? Should I solicit my wife's help and expose her to my moves?

Sep 1, 2007
Canada
Same with me i have friends but they dont do magic and i am the only kid at my school who does magic but what i do is that i video tape my self doing a flourish or trick and i watch it.So it seems that i am watching my self preforming.I feel like a spectator too!!:D

Oct 24, 2007
Practice

Using a mirror is a good suggestion. Problem is, you get used to looking in a mirror instead of performing for an actual spectator. Also, you concentrate on two things at once so you might miss something.

I actually have the same problem as you, except that I'm a teenager so I'm not married so I don't have a wife to overlook my performances. But I have no friends that are into card magic, and don't want to expose my methods to my family, so I can't perform for them and have their critiques.

So, what do I do? I've found two things to do, along the same lines, that really help me smooth out my own routine and make sure I'm correcting things.

1. Instead of using a mirror, I get a camera and tape myself doing the trick or move. Then I go over and watch it, rewind it, watch it again. Once I see my problem, I work on it. Then I go back to the camera, rewind it all the way, and tape my performance again.

2. Find a serious magician on youtube or something, preferably someone from these forums. Become friends with him, put your videos of your performances up on youtube and let him know they're there. Then he can give you feed back. I know this method is a little slow, but if you have time then it's better than the "you watching yourself" method.

Hope these suggestions helped. Peace!

Tyler

Sep 1, 2007
I've been using the webcam on my Macbook Pro to practice. I find that when I'm sitting with it on my desk it's at a very similar angle to a spec's eyes.

A video camera

Try performing 1-on-1 with a video camera, then go back and critique yourself. That's what I do. It helps a bunches. I think it helps alot more than performing in front of a mirror, because you're trying to look at two things at once. With a camera, you can focus on performing while recording, then focus on criticising yourself when you do the playback.

Anthony Bass

Nov 5, 2007
Benicia, CA
Most of the videos I've seen all say practice in front of a mirror. For me, this would mean the bathroom. Kinda hard with a sink and all. Plus, I agree that watching the mirror and performing the sleight(s) proves to be challenging. As for a video camera, I reckon the best I can do is use my digital camera.

I practice in front of a mirror and for the last week my mom let me use a camera and I practice with that. Cameras really help. I record myself doing the trick. Watch it about 2-3 times and see how I could do it better, where I seem unatural. Now my fingers handle smoother because before I was really stiff.

If you don't have a camera a mirror works too. And with patter, it may seem a bit weird, but when I practice I whisper it to myself while doing the trick. I would say it out loud, but I don't want anyone in the houes to hear and think I need help.

Also when I make my patter I think about it. I think if it really fits my personality so it doesn't feel weird when I'm doing it for an audience. And I make sure it's not completely boring and just repeating my actions like saying " Now I will put the card on the table. I'll shuffle the deck. I'll wavev over the card and now you will turn over the card. Was that your card?"

I try to avoid saying " Is this your card?" at all costs. Also, find someone you live with to test out your tricks. I have my mommy. Yes, mommy. Mom test your tricks. Aske that someone to give feedback. Tell you if you flashed or are shaky and unnatural.

Good luck. Hope I helped.

I try to avoid saying " Is this your card?" at all costs. Also, find someone you live with to test out your tricks. I have my mommy. Yes, mommy. Mom test your tricks. Aske that someone to give feedback. Tell you if you flashed or are shaky and unnatural.

Seeing how he's in the Marine Corps Reserves, I doubt he's still living with mommy like you and I. :D

But he's right. Practice on someone you live with. You don't HAVE to tell them how the effects are done. Just perform the effect, and if they tell you that they saw something "fishy", ask them what, and work on it.

Anthony Bass

Oct 24, 2007
Practice in front of a mirror and after you have got it down perform against a wall because in real life there wont be a mirror for you too look at plus just go out and perform street magic.

Great topic, thanks for bringing this up. :)

Let's say I learn a new sleight, but I am still yet not too comfortable on the angles - how do I get past that? The most obvious and reliable option I would have is to practice in front of a mirror until I saw it looked decent. The only problem with this is, the angle perspective and your usual performing angles could be quite different - which would render your practice to little.

As a result, I find the best way to get over this is to then try it out in front of someone I can trust. Now instead of trying to fool them or make it the best performance of my life, just say to them, "Okay, I'm gonna do this, just tell me how it looks" and have them give their verdict on what they think. If it's good -- you're fine. Just have them be brutally honest. If they said “Well... I saw that when you did this thing here... .like that.” Then simply say, “Ah ok, how about if I turn to this side? Does it look better now, or worse? What about if I bring my hands down a bit more, better now?” and do this again and again. You will quickly understand what is GOOD and what is NOT. For myself, it beats any “practice in front of a mirror”-lark and is coming from a real spectator's viewing -- the same viewing your future audiences will get. Only then will you be able to suit this to your performance. :)

Those are a few personal things I use, and I have been using this "method" for a couple of years now. It's great that you have a wife and are considering using a similar option -- personally, I would take it. Let's be honest, there will always be certain things you could fool her with.

Kindest regards,
Jordan

P.S. As for patter, I generally write up a script and memorize it! It's not paragraphs and paragraphs, but instead a few simple-flowing phrases that seem to make sense in certain parts of the routine. From there I can fill in the blanks during regular performances, since audience interaction is important; I may often add their name in a sentence. I love performing for people, there's nothing better than apparently being genuine and impromptu with a speech, but deep down it was just a well-performed and casual script. Splendid!

Nov 5, 2007
Benicia, CA
Seeing how he's in the Marine Corps Reserves, I doubt he's still living with mommy like you and I. :DAnthony Bass

LMAO - Nope, don't live with mommy any more. Though sometime I wish I were young again and gettin started. I think it's great that you guys can perform at school. What a great audience. And a real trial by fire too. Tthough I've heard some schools have actually banned these impromptu sessions or displays.

LMAO - Nope, don't live with mommy any more. Though sometime I wish I were young again and gettin started. I think it's great that you guys can perform at school. What a great audience. And a real trial by fire too. Tthough I've heard some schools have actually banned these impromptu sessions or displays.

Yea, my school doesn't allow anybody to bring a deck of cards, but I do anyways. Rules are made to be broken, and it's my passion. I'm a persistent person. :)

Anthony Bass

Nov 20, 2007
practice ?

Camera, Camera, Camera,

I use my camera all the time it is the only whey you can get all the angles and plus you dont have to try and watch the mirror and do the moves. You can act as you would if you where really doing the trick. I think it is a better practice method. I have it set up so I can record and play back instantly. Of course a trusted friend to try out your new stuff on is always helpful after you have worked on the move/effect for awhile. If you ever want practice over the net via video conference we can do that just PM me over T11. I would be glad to help when I can. Good luck.
:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, my school doesn't allow anybody to bring a deck of cards, but I do anyways. Rules are made to be broken, and it's my passion. I'm a persistent person. :)

Anthony Bass

Why'd they ban cards? Gambling reasons or something else?

If they banned cards at my school, I'd stay up all night reading all of my mentalism material, so I could learn to live without them.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results