Practicing Misdirection

Jun 10, 2010
All of the points that me her posted are great ways to direct the audiences attention. If you want to study audience direction further I would suggest buying the books of wonder. Not only do they contain great magic but they a full of this type of theory.

As far as practice goes you can start by trying to direct the attention of others in all the magic you do. Especially in tricks where it does not matter where they look or in non magical endevors as well. While you are doing normal activities and such. Once you can control their attention then start trying to apply those techniques to your presentations that require it.

Red

Five Points in Magic by Juan Tamariz is also a good source as far as misdirection goes... Especially the part under "eyes" where it explains "crossing the gaze". Fun stuff to do, works all the time.

FYI, Apollo Robbins doesn't misdirect. He directs elsewhere, and while it's hard to physically describe it, there is a difference between the two. All of his misdirection is purely motivated, whereas some of the suggestions (namely saying their name or looking up) are, by themselves, somewhat useless because there was no point in doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 21, 2010
The Earth
Misdirect your friends. It's my favorite way. When you get in a conversation with your friends, practice things like hand motions, direct comments, or eye contact, and you figure out how to make it natural and subtle. If you're just walking in school or down the street, try to figure out good places to, like mentioned above, put their name or make eye contact.
Just a thought.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is to create enough of a rapport before you start your first trick (or during it) that your audience is reacting the way you want them to. If you just walk up and ask 'Wanna see a trick?' and then don't ask their names or any questions about them then you'll have no base to go back to.

I believe this has been mentioned.... by me!

Matt

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Five Points in Magic by Juan Tamariz is also a good source as far as misdirection goes... Especially the part under "eyes" where it explains "crossing the gaze". Fun stuff to do, works all the time.

FYI, Apollo Robbins doesn't misdirect. He directs elsewhere, and while it's hard to physically describe it, there is a difference between the two. All of his misdirection is purely motivated, whereas some of the suggestions (namely saying their name or looking up) are, by themselves, somewhat useless because there was no point in doing it.

Well it's completely different for a pick pocket and a magician. One has to use a little bit of misdirection, the other has to use a lot. Plus I don't think you could do it the way Apollo does it while you are performing card or whatever else magic.

"Oh BTW, what time is it?" *does the pass.* etc etc

Jun 10, 2010
Well it's completely different for a pick pocket and a magician. One has to use a little bit of misdirection, the other has to use a lot. Plus I don't think you could do it the way Apollo does it while you are performing card or whatever else magic.

"Oh BTW, what time is it?" *does the pass.* etc etc

Doesn't matter how much you're using it - you're still using it. If I sit in a chair for 5 minutes or 10 minutes, at one point, obviously I'd sit in the chair much longer, but it still has to be built to sustain my weight, no?

Bad analogy, but nonetheless only one I can think of right now. (I'm tired is my excuse)

Jul 13, 2009
But why the expensive sports car, when all you need is a motor that can get you from point A to B safely?

Jun 10, 2010
But why the expensive sports car, when all you need is a motor that can get you from point A to B safely?

Because the expensive sports car looks good. Sure, you can just say their name or look up, but unless you're going to do something because of this, it's pointless misdirection. Some smart laypeople could even guess you did all the mumbo jumbo or w/e when they're not looking.

Jan 21, 2011
I feel that this is in all magic though. you should script out everything you say and do so that everything has a reason or point. If you have things in your routine that don't have a point then they shouldn't be in the routine.

I think that most people who have been helping here are trying to give tips on directing attention and not on the magic magic should be performed in general, which is why no one is talking about making sure everything has a point. Saying someones name or looking up is relevant to the discussion at hand. making it natural is IMHO a different topic. The direction techniques given are not pointless, they work and should not be discredited, simply because another topic is not discussed at the same time.

That being said it is important to have every part of you directions techniques make since in the general context of your performance. When I script out my effects I can see where problems may occur and script in direction techniques like questions to help layer the attention control.

to a beginner I would practice controls when not needing them learning where they are needed and such and then work on making them natural as part of a process for your growth as a magician.

Red

Jan 23, 2011
When your rehearsing on your own incorprate the misdirection techniques into your practice. Rehearse in the mirror, if your chosen method of misdirection is looking them in the eye look yourself in the eye and do the move. Rehearse until this become second nature and then when you practice on actual spectators you will be shocked at how second nature the misdirection becomes. Also I think you will find that misdirection itself is a lot easier than you would think. I started learning magic when I was fourteen and when I read about misdirection I was nervous. But the more I read the more I tried the more I realized that it was easy. All be it there are some stubborn people who insist on not moving there eyes from the pack but in that case you just do an effect that allows it. But in all honesty I havent seen that happen too terribly often since I graduated from highschool. Suprisingly enough the chapter on misdirection that helped me the most was out of the EVERYTHING BOOK OF CARD TRICKS which i was given by someone who knows nothing about magic but it actually contained some really good information for the cheesiness of the set up. As for the two card monte I can give you some specific tips if your interested PM me ive been doing the effect for seven years its one of my stock effects for when someone asks to see something. Hope this helped.

CHARMING CHEAT

Jun 10, 2010
I feel that this is in all magic though. you should script out everything you say and do so that everything has a reason or point. If you have things in your routine that don't have a point then they shouldn't be in the routine.

I think that most people who have been helping here are trying to give tips on directing attention and not on the magic magic should be performed in general, which is why no one is talking about making sure everything has a point. Saying someones name or looking up is relevant to the discussion at hand. making it natural is IMHO a different topic. The direction techniques given are not pointless, they work and should not be discredited, simply because another topic is not discussed at the same time.

Red

That's what I've been trying to say... -.- lol.

Great thoughts on misdirection from everyone!

One thing I didn't see mentioned (and if I did, forgive me for missing it) is tension and relaxation. You lean in, you stare at your hands, you seem focused - when you're not doing a sleight. Then when you need to do the move, you relax your body, look up at them, stop paying attention to your hands, ask them a question, make a joke, basically everything other people said. But by setting up focus and tension before you do the "misdirection", once the relaxation moment comes everyone will relax as well and all the misdirection will be that much more effective.

Remember, spectators (well most of them anyway) know what misdirection is. If you were to blatantly redirect them, many will purposely not allow themselves to look away. That's why the misdirection has to be more subtle. They have to honestly feel like all the work is done and that there's nothing to be seen - and that's exactly when you do the sleight.

Feb 7, 2011
My thoughts.

I only read the first page of comments on this so i dont know if this has already been suggested.

The best way to practice audience control and misdirection, is when you DONT need it. Practice making spectators make eye contact with you, even in an ambitious card routine. It's a situation similar to learning the classic force. I know you're thinking for a 2 card monte routine, "well i cant just go out and give the secret away to everyone untill someone finally misses it?". But practice when you dont need it, make eye contect, make people look where you want when you aren't doing any moves and have nothing to hide. As with the classic force, I highly recommend, that everyone who hasn't yet mastered it, practice it by using it on every trick you do with a freely selected card from now on. If it's a miss it doesn't matter, but once you get a hit, and you get that rush the first time the classic force works for you, you'll be hooked. Sorry i side-tracked. Point is, there are some tricks you cant simply master in front of your mirror, tricks that need misdirection, others that need psychological subtleties. And again i say, the best way to practice these techniques is to use them when we dont need them, during far easier tricks Thats some of what i think anyway.

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
2 card monte ... damn, i've been performing this for so long that i misdirect unconsciously now. You also don't have to go by the classic method, tweak it a bit to fit your style. That's what i did anyway after failing miserably in front of a crowd couple of years ago because of bad angles. I tweaked it to make it more angle proof ...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results