Prediction effect... with a twist

Aug 14, 2010
Iowa
I finally got around to recording a very simple prediction effect that plays BIG with laymen.

Linkified
[video=youtube;JzVF4Ql_VU8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzVF4Ql_VU8[/video]

I like it because it has a strong "magician in trouble" element - my favorite effects are ones where the magician screws up, but is actually in complete control the entire time... I've found that audiences react very well to such tricks, and they're a blast to perform.

There's a slight sleight flash if you look for it, and the card selection is done kind of sloppily, but I decided it was good enough to fly. Misdirection for live performances is almost automatic (and handles these two issues) - just have a spectator hold the prediction, and do the dirty work while they're opening and reading it and all eyes are on the the spectator.

If you think the video's too sloppy to be out there on the web, let me know via PM or in this thread, and I'll take it down and re-record it; the last thing I want to do is put up low-quality videos that border on move exposure.

Thanks in advance, and I hope you enjoy!

Nov 27, 2009
Not at all what I expected! It's simple, and a bit cheesy, but then again, I've never seen it before, much less performed it, so I can't judge there. I can see where this would hit hard. (BTW... I'm probably the cheesiest person on earth.)

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
A good idea, but it's a transformation not a prediction. They've seen the back of the card already, it was blue, now it's red. Cool idea, and I bet it plays well with laymen, but it's a transformation under the assumption that you're predicting the card.

Something I would add would be a double folded prediction, have the first open say 'red card' and when it's black have them open it further to say something like '...on the back'.

Thanks for sharing, I think the video would be better if it were a live performance, to see how you interact with the spectators - however, for showing the idea it's perfectly suited.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results