Presentation and Showmanship

Jun 16, 2016
Ohio
I'm just starting out in street performances and I'd like to know if any of you magicians have tips in presentation and showmanship.

Apr 18, 2016
USA
Hello young poet, that is a wonderful question, but not an easy one. I can only tell you what works for me.
1. When I work, I maintain the same character every time. Same dress same mannerisms, same style. I'm recognized I get return customers on street corners, believe it or not.

2. Always polite, exceedingly so, ask before working. Appear as happy when they say yes as when they say no.

3. Every trick is a closer. People are busy, they are on their way somewhere when you find them, so give them something good. It's rare to get more than eight minutes.

Hope that helps, and welcome to the world of the busker. Don't be afraid to pass your hat.

Book

Jun 16, 2016
Ohio
1. When I work, I maintain the same character every time. Same dress same mannerisms, same style. I'm recognized I get return customers on street corners, believe it or not.
Book

Is it the same character as yourself? Or, perhaps, you have a specific magician persona?

Apr 18, 2016
USA
I have a specific magic persona. It helps give me confidence and allows the people to see me , as I dress like the silent movies. It can also be helpful psychologically, to separate your family life, from your working life.

Book

Jun 16, 2016
Ohio
Interesting. I've heard plenty of people tell me, "Just be yourself." But, I agree with you. The separate persona can prove to be an advantage.

Well thank you for the information. I will take this to mind and remember it through my practice times.

Apr 18, 2016
USA
Interesting. I've heard plenty of people tell me, "Just be yourself." But, I agree with you. The separate persona can prove to be an advantage.

Well thank you for the information. I will take this to mind and remember it through my practice times.
Remember, this is just how I do things, you'll find your own formula as you gain experience.

Book

Jun 16, 2016
Ohio
Will do. Each performer deals with different types of people. So, the experiences will be different from performer to performer. Some will have similarities, but, the general idea is that all is different.

JP

Hello young poet, that is a wonderful question, but not an easy one. I can only tell you what works for me.

2. Always polite, exceedingly so, ask before working. Appear as happy when they say yes as when they say no.

3. Every trick is a closer. People are busy, they are on their way somewhere when you find them, so give them something good. It's rare to get more than eight minutes.

Hope that helps, and welcome to the world of the busker. Don't be afraid to pass your hat.

Book
That's some very solid advice right there! I agree with everything Mr. Book said.

Kudos to you for actually getting up and sharing your art with the world. I remember how nervous I was when I first started but the first plunge is always the hardest. Best of luck to you!

Jun 16, 2016
Ohio
I'm driven by the fact that I want to brighten up someone's day or just put wonder in them for a little bit. So, I am quick to want to share it because I want to do this as soon as possible.

I'm driven by the fact that I want to brighten up someone's day or just put wonder in them for a little bit. So, I am quick to want to share it because I want to do this as soon as possible.
Just a tad bit of advice is don't rush into it too quickly.

A good piece of advice from Luke Dancy is to remember to slow down and focus on the technical stuff and showmanship before showing it to the world. Another good idea is to have a family member or close friend critique your act before you present it to strangers and use their honest feedback to better yourself.

I admire your spirit though! Reminds me a lot of myself when I got started two years ago.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results