"Profanity on the site" continued...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 20, 2007
I saw the "profanity on the site" thread and I noticed it was the only one closed (for some strange reason) and I would like to share my own thoughts about it.

A few days ago, I actually got an e-mail from one of the people that filter out bad language on the site because well, I used a few swear words. I wrote back and apologized even though I didn't fully agree with the private notice that I recieved about keep watching the language. Here are a few of the reasons why:

#1: I noticed that there are youtube videos posted on this site that have profanity in the music.

#2: This is a free country and if freedom of expression through the use of profanity is okay with the president of the USA, then why not here?

#3: Everyone from 8 years of age - older has cursed at some time in their life.

#4: I'm a 22 year old female from a from a pretty conservative "Chinese" family backround with a masters in Nutrition (I dot mean to brag) who has 2 sisters who have also been using profanity for as long as I can remember.

My point is, if someone like me does not get offended by the use lay language, there should be no reason for men that should have more testosterone then me to get offended. If you are offended and you have the need to call me on it, maybe you need to take a break from the site and come back when you've magically grown a pair of balls.

xie xie nin,
JFH ;)

Yea...I don't really agree with anything you said. Some people cuss, others don't. It's a personal preference, and when it comes down to it, none of your business what someone else believes.

I drop a few curse words every now and again, but really. Cussing is just a sign of ignorance for lack of a better word.

-Steve

Sep 1, 2007
Yea...I don't really agree with anything you said. Some people cuss, others don't. It's a personal preference, and when it comes down to it, none of your business what someone else believes.

I drop a few curse words every now and again, but really. Cussing is just a sign of ignorance for lack of a better word.

-Steve

I like to think of them as fancy commas.

Oct 20, 2007
Hi Steve,
I like the dark red and it's not even holloween yet!:) Ignorance means: lack of open mindedness. So, to use curse words towards someone else is ignorance. However, to swear "about something" as a form of self-expression is to express oneself without harm to someone else. Do you see the difference Mr. "I drop a few curse words every now and again?" <That is called.... hypocracy.

Happy Holloween!
JFH;)

Hi Steve,
I like the dark red and it's not even holloween yet!:) Ignorance means: lack of open mindedness. So, to use curse words towards someone else is ignorance. However, to swear "about something" as a form of self-expression is to express oneself without harm to someone else. Do you see the difference Mr. "I drop a few curse words every now and again?" <That is called.... hypocracy.

Happy Holloween!
JFH;)

Thanks. And yes, I'm sure I am a hypocrit to a certain extent. But swearing as a form of self-expression still shows one's ignorance. It shows that they have to use simple swear words in order to get their point across, instead of communicating in a formal, more mature way.

And if people get in the habit of cussing while they're young, it will only hurt them in the long run, i.e. when they drop a few cuss words in front of their boss.

I'm proud to say that I've only cursed once while performing, and that was when I dropped a deck of cards. I mumbled "damn" under my breath. Needless to say, I've never said any such words since.

Best.
Steve

I saw the "profanity on the site" thread and I noticed it was the only one closed (for some strange reason) and I would like to share my own thoughts about it.

A few days ago, I actually got an e-mail from one of the people that filter out bad language on the site because well, I used a few swear words. I wrote back and apologized even though I didn't fully agree with the private notice that I recieved about keep watching the language. Here are a few of the reasons why:

#1: I noticed that there are youtube videos posted on this site that have profanity in the music.

#2: This is a free country and if freedom of expression through the use of profanity is okay with the president of the USA, then why not here?

#4: I'm a 22 year old female from a from a pretty conservative "Chinese" family backround with a masters in Nutrition (I dot mean to brag) who has 2 sisters who have also been using profanity for as long as I can remember.

My point is, if someone like me does not get offended by the use lay language, there should be no reason for men that should have more testosterone then me to get offended. If you are offended and you have the need to call me on it, maybe you need to take a break from the site and come back when you've magically grown a pair of balls.

xie xie nin,
JFH ;)

Sorry I just wanted to comment on your mandarin at the end, I'm currently learning a bit in school, for about 2 months now. Thought I'd mention that, I'm rather proud of it, although I only know salutations and some simple questions I'm still proud :D.

-RA69

D

Deleted member 2755

I see where you are coming from, however I must disagree with you.

1. It is hard for a moderator to watch every video that is uploaded here, besides people are most likely going to care more if someone actually says the swear than a song saying it in the song on a video. However, I do agree with you on that.

2. You are correct that it is a free country. No one is preventing you from creating your own forum and allowing swear words. Theory 11 would just like to prevent swearing because swearing only leads to senseless avoidable arguments, and some people get offended by them. Theory 11 is meant to be a friendly magic community forum/ site to buy new magic. it is just easier to have no swearing to keep everyone happy.

3. This is most likely true, but again... people find the words offensive.

4. Ok congratulations. Now how does that justify swears?:p

As for your closing comments... there is no need to get sexist on us!:eek: Personally I don't get offended by swears and chances are 99% of the users besides me don't get offended, however some people are brought up to believe that swearing is bad and swears should not be said. It is hurtful to people and we should respect that. (please don't think I'm saying swearing is good, I agree it is bad, I'm just saying I don't feel it is as bad as some people think it is.)

So there you go. Now stop with your swearing and sexist ways.:p If you want to swear find another forum that allows it or create a forum yourself that no one would probably join. Have fun.

-Doug

Sep 2, 2007
This is a magic site? I thought it was all about cursing and trying to figure out where hidden pages are...

;)

You forgot about the rivalry between the only two magic sites ever to grace the internet with their titanic, underground presence. . . that gets discussed occasionally as well.

The right of one person ends where the nose of the other begins.

Just because you don't consider something offensive, does not mean others have to put up with it.

T11 has the right to make rules because it's their company. This is why America is so great.

I personally feel that 4 letter words show your character and it's not in a good way. It does not matter at what age some hear or learn 4 letter words. This does not make it right.

If we started to see 8 year olds drinking alcohol more often, does that mean we should let them do it. The lack of a good example is not a reason for someone else to justify what other 8 year olds are doing.

When we are out there performing, our goal is to connect with people. Using 4 letter words will drive some people away from you, but not using them does not drive the people who don't mind 4 letter words from you.

So you should always act according to what will give you the best exposure and make you relate with others.

I have never seen anyone that uses 4 letter words tell me that they would have enjoyed my Magic if I had some F BOMBS in there. But I bet I would here from those who are offended by 4 letter words if I did use them.

Sep 1, 2007
Wow.

People are actually still discussing this.

Don't you need to be practicing that damn double lift?

Oct 20, 2007
My apologies

I hope you can all forgive me for being so offensive. I read my post again after finishing work and noticed that the end of it was pretty offensive although no vulgar language was used. My girlfriends and I curse all the time. And I believe that just because we do doesn't mean that we're not well put together people. As a matter of fact, I've been a straight A student since as long as I can remember. I guess that's just typical for Chinese women these days but aside from previous academic achivements, sometimes, it's just nice to plain old F@$# around. When I have someone think of how many fingers I'm holding up, they say "one" and then I say, "wow, you must be reall magic (Kenton Knepper, Wonder Words vol.1)" and then give them the finger for a kicker ending.:) You see. It can be funny sometimes just like sponge "ding dong" trick. Maybe I will post it on youtube at my friends house so you can all see how funny it is. So, okay, ho ho ho go away now.:p

JFH

Sep 1, 2007
San Diego
how about the rule is

If its on primtime TV, then you can say it

seems simple enough, the most watched segment of tv says swears or uses "potty" humor (occasionally simpsons/family guy/ southpark (which is on a little later, huh, parentheses in parantheses, interesting) American Dad)

why not that, if its on primtime, you can say it

xie xie nin,
JFH ;)
#1: Lets let youtube decide what words get on youtube videos.

#2: T11 is international and alot people think the american president is an idiot, so to each his own

#3: Just plain not true. Alot of people I know have never said a swear word in thier life. People with strict parents often do not swear.

#4: Thats just the way your sisters were raised.

That said, I think profanity is not a big deal, but the way you argued it was not particularly efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results