Pure Breed Cardists

Apr 22, 2015
Hey there everyone. I am here with a topic that I find interesting,. I am a complete Cardist myself. But what I was wondering is if there are any "Pure Breed" cardists out there as well. They don't do Magic or anything else like that. They are simply interested within the art of cardistry. I had originally thought that Dan and Dave, Zach Mueller, etc. were just cardists. But now I know that they do both cardistry and magic. But I was wondering if there were any others that just do cardistry. I only know of one presently, and that is Chase Duncan.

Duncan F.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
Cardistry is still a relatively new artform, so it's uncommon to see an experienced cardist who didn't get his start learning magic. I think you will notice it more and more now that Cardistry is getting more popular, but majority of the pros have been doing it long before Cardistry was considered its own thing.

That being said, I am seeing a lot of Cardists who are dropping magic and specifically focusing on Cardistry. I've done the same thing, and I couldn't be happier. I still know a few tricks that I can do when asked, but Cardistry is my passion and thats what I'm going to focus on.

May 5, 2015
I'm with ya Duncan. I still hold a small partiality to magic (like you said, most of us started there) but right now I am practicing no new effects. Whenever I hold a deck I may be tempted to do a double lift or pass, but then I get back into practicing some knuckle-busting cuts!

Speaking of this shift, it will be interesting to see how decks of cards are marketed on t11 and other big websites, as many trailers for decks already seem to focus a good deal on cardistry. Maybe the growing autonomy of cardistry will change even further the way certain playing cards are marketed (if that makes sense).

Hope I didn't bring up too much unrelated stuff here. Just came to mind when I thought of it. Interesting to think that years down the road, there could be hundreds of people that started cardistry from the get-go and never thought about magic.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
Despite how fast the community is growing, you're probably going to see magic-cardistry hybrids for a while.

I work with a LOT of prop magic, but everything I do with cards right now is cardistry. And that's only because of a project I've been working on since the beginning of the year. Once the project is done, I see myself diving into card magic.
I love the cardistry community, but as a whole, I'm having a hard time with it artistically

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results