Push of double help.

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
Okay guys, so at first I didn't like the PODL because of the weird turnover that is taught in most sources for this move. But I found out the move could be done with a normal turnover, so my question is how many of you do this move with a normal turnover? It seem to me that it's obvious that the cards are slightly off when you use a normal turnover.

Here is a vid of of Tony Chang doing a sick cover pass, but at the end of it, his double lift is a PODL with a normal turnover. So is it possible to do the PODL without the cards parting at all?

Thanks.

Cheers

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
look into the Instantaneous Double lift by doc daley. it is similar in concept without any spacing at all and when done right looks ooooh so natural.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Expert Card Technique by Hugard and Braue has some tips on how to execute a perfect push off.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
i believe it can be found in Stars of Magic and one of the latest 1-on-1 downloads by Jason England on the Double Lift. I would definitely check out the 1-on-1. People are complaining about the price for a DL, but its so much more than that, he teach's some very versatile lifts that i have already put into my performances and it just makes things so much more natural and deceptive.

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
i believe it can be found in Stars of Magic and one of the latest 1-on-1 downloads by Jason England on the Double Lift. I would definitely check out the 1-on-1. People are complaining about the price for a DL, but its so much more than that, he teach's some very versatile lifts that i have already put into my performances and it just makes things so much more natural and deceptive.

Totally, I'm thinking of purchasing that soon. Thanks!

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Hmm, I would say, don't trouble yourself or spend your money on buying sources for the push off DL. The PODL you see Tony do, is one that he developed personally (with some advice of course along the way), and worked on it constantly over the course of several years.

To get the PODL that smooth and that consistent, requires a lot of practice. It is a knacky DL, thus it will not always be perfect. You need to train your thumb to be able to apply the correct amount of pressure to the cards, and that pressure changes depending on the type of deck, the quality of the deck, the condition of the deck. You just have to constantly work at it.

Oh, and in the video that you linked of Tony, he turns over the PODL normally, but as he replaces it back onto the deck (turning back over), he used the Soft double turn over.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I believe in Henry Hay's Amateur Magician's Handbook he teaches a second deal that utilizes pushing two cards as one, together, and then dealing while pulling back. This is actually the hardest part of the deal, learning how to push off exactly two cards as one, not three, not one and then two...but two together.

It's possible, but there are other DL's out there. Jason England's 1-on-1 has great tips and techniques for some very deceptive and natural double lifts/turnovers. jroberts hit the nail on the head with Doc Daley's Instantaneous DL, it's extremely smooth and quite beautiful when done correctly (I'm still working on it, it's just sick)

The last DL taught on the 1-on-1 by Martin Nash is another pretty sweet double that Jami Ian Swiss uses it in his handling of "I've got a surprise for you." (at least according to his essay in Scripting Magic he uses the same one)

Apr 13, 2010
I spent a lot of time and money learning a load of double lifts. My advice would be, decide how you are going to turn over a single card and learn the double to match that. My preference is the pushover double, however if i feel my hands are being burned i go for the strike double. The most important thing in my opinion is to remember that you are giving the illusion that you are turning over one card not a slab of concrete (i think it was vernon that said that). so practice being natural.

Good luck

Feb 16, 2010
That is one of the videos, Scarecrow. There is also a performance from Ron that I posted on youtube a while back.

And as for it looking "unnatural" to you, I have no idea what you are talking about. This double is by far one of the most natural looking push offs to date. How do I know? Pick up your deck and turn over the top card. And if you think that this push off looks unnatural, then I don't think you should be learning any type of push off double. Period.

If I may ask, what would you say looks unnatural about the mechanics of the TTT?

Thank you for your criticism.

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
That is one of the videos, Scarecrow. There is also a performance from Ron that I posted on youtube a while back.

And as for it looking "unnatural" to you, I have no idea what you are talking about. This double is by far one of the most natural looking push offs to date. How do I know? Pick up your deck and turn over the top card. And if you think that this push off looks unnatural, then I don't think you should be learning any type of push off double. Period.

If I may ask, what would you say looks unnatural about the mechanics of the TTT?

Thank you for your criticism.
I just think the performance I provided the link to, looked too slow and meticulous. If it was a bit faster and more care free looking, it would be killer. I think it was just because of this specific performance, I'm sure it would be fine otherwise. But yes, this is by far one of the nicest push off doubles I've seen. Thanks for pointing it out.

Hope that's clearer.

Cheers

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results