Push Off Double Tutorial

liquidsn

Tony Chang / Creator, Be Kind Change, DVR, The Uni
Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Hi guys. I remember lots of people asking for my technique for the push off and I never got around to filming it till today. So head over to my blog and learn it. Remember... its really knacky and PLEASE PLEASE take the time to learn it.

forcesunseen.wordpress.com

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Wow, thank you very much for sharing. :)

I think I'll stick with my breaks, I feel much more secure and at home with them. Each to their own I guess, nonetheless you have excellent skill with the pasteboards.

- Sean

Mar 29, 2008
I hope you don't take this as disrepect Liquidsn, or a knock on your ability, as I really enjoy your blog, and it is obvious you put much effort into you magic and have a great mind about magic - I also agree with much of what you say about magic. I just wanted to talk about the weaknesses of the push off - as many think of it as the Holy Grail of DL, but I am not so sure...and I would love your thoughts on it.

The difficulties I have observed, outside of doing the push off in perfect alignment 100% of the time (as that is the goal, perfection and consistency - which I have NEVER seen anyone do the push off in work reliably) - are the amount of attention is takes - I have seen many do it, and notice that ALL of them LOOK at their hands when they do it. Now, I am not sure if you perform, but when I see many do this - it really takes away from the connection you have with the audience (head bobbing up and down during multiple lift sequences)...and since they look where you do, they often are looking at the move while it happens. For both reason, I have found that many working pros (although able to perform the push off) choose to use a break for it's reliablity.

Moreover, I have also noticed that people do the push off very slowly - not that it should be done the opposite, but I find the careful speed makes it look mechanical, contrived and suspicious at times. You often mention on your blog that a sleight should represent the natural move that it is replicating. I find that the push off makes people turn the card over in a way that makes it seem important - not as "haphazard", as if it was a single card, moreover, (and perhaps picking pepper out of fly$hit) but, I don't see people pushing cards off at the corner - but instead with the thumb in the middle of the card...

Which is why I prefer the using the Vernon push off, using the ring finger, instead of the middle, to prevent that "ramped" look you see when it is done.

This allows the maintain the naturalness, of not only my hands, but my body language and eyes, while not worrying about alignment. The only weakness - you still need a break. However, Aaron Fisher once said to me - if you are doing to do a DL now...you should have had a break ten minutes ago...which he would extend the time duration on throughout our discussion...a hour...a day - interesting moral

Anyhow, I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

All that being said - I want to say great blog - thanks for sharing that with us - and I would still love to see more work on it. I only wish I could see more of you and less of the other spectrum of the normal curve.

Cheers

liquidsn

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
I hope you don't take this as disrepect Liquidsn, or a knock on your ability, as I really enjoy your blog, and it is obvious you put much effort into you magic and have a great mind about magic - I also agree with much of what you say about magic. I just wanted to talk about the weaknesses of the push off - as many think of it as the Holy Grail of DL, but I am not so sure...and I would love your thoughts on it.

The difficulties I have observed, outside of doing the push off in perfect alignment 100% of the time (as that is the goal, perfection and consistency - which I have NEVER seen anyone do the push off in work reliably) - are the amount of attention is takes - I have seen many do it, and notice that ALL of them LOOK at their hands when they do it. Now, I am not sure if you perform, but when I see many do this - it really takes away from the connection you have with the audience (head bobbing up and down during multiple lift sequences)...and since they look where you do, they often are looking at the move while it happens. For both reason, I have found that many working pros (although able to perform the push off) choose to use a break for it's reliablity.

Moreover, I have also noticed that people do the push off very slowly - not that it should be done the opposite, but I find the careful speed makes it look mechanical, contrived and suspicious at times. You often mention on your blog that a sleight should represent the natural move that it is replicating. I find that the push off makes people turn the card over in a way that makes it seem important - not as "haphazard", as if it was a single card, moreover, (and perhaps picking pepper out of fly$hit) but, I don't see people pushing cards off at the corner - but instead with the thumb in the middle of the card...

Which is why I prefer the using the Vernon push off, using the ring finger, instead of the middle, to prevent that "ramped" look you see when it is done.

This allows the maintain the naturalness, of not only my hands, but my body language and eyes, while not worrying about alignment. The only weakness - you still need a break. However, Aaron Fisher once said to me - if you are doing to do a DL now...you should have had a break ten minutes ago...which he would extend the time duration on throughout our discussion...a hour...a day - interesting moral

Anyhow, I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

All that being said - I want to say great blog - thanks for sharing that with us - and I would still love to see more work on it. I only wish I could see more of you and less of the other spectrum of the normal curve.

Cheers

Thanks for being honest.

I agree with you about being natural and I assure you I don't have to look down at my hands to make sure it is aligned. This technique for me at least makes me really confident about being perfectly aligned all the time. There are many benefits of having a push off double lift as compared to a double requiring a break. For example, showing a double from the middle, or showing multiple doubles in a row. If you had to get a break each time to perform it, it would look very unnatural. Plus, it is very rare for me to see someone who is truly good at getting a break undetected.

Another thing about professionals not using push-offs is very untrue. Joshua Jay for a fact only uses the push-offs. I just think people never really see a very good push off and therefore knock on it.

From what I read, I feel your beef isn't about the push-off it self, but the way you operate around the push-off. You say that to do something this "hard" would require more attention than is needed to just turn over a card. I would disagree with you on the fact that I use this double lift all the time and there isn't really a reason not to learn something because it is hard. You practice till you make it second nature and this has been second nature for me.

I just feel there shouldn't ever be a reason to have your hands tense up for no reason. Would you really get a break to turn over a card? Don't think people get a break just to turn over a single.

But to each their own and you do hit on the correct points on any sleight of hand. Is it natural? I mean I have seen laymen turn over cards in some very odd ways, but the push off to me seems to me to require the lest tension when you have a mastery of it.

liquidsn

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
I double posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 29, 2008
Thanks for being so kind Liquid - and for responding.

I am not of the school of thought to, "not do something because it is too hard" - so don't mistake me for one of those guys. However, I do consider efficiency and practicality. Moreover, I have seen Josh miss on his attempt on a push off - and that fumbling occurs where you resquare and then try again - you would agree this is not natural. Also, you didn't really address the unnaturalness of where your left thumb is - but perhaps this is being TOO picky - but you appear to be a guy like that.

I can agree many don't obtain breaks well - but to address your response in a similar way - a break shouldn't be noticed if done well - and the get ready should be unnoticed...and not a push off. No tension is required to achieve the DL - but I would agree some for the get ready would be required - so I concede that point. A moment of tension, in trade for being 100% - no tension for an exchange of not being 100%....for even 99% is not my goal when I perform, as I am sure it isn't yours - and if you are doing a push off perfectly aligned 100% of the time - I want to meet you, shake your hand & treat you to a dinner on me - because you are one of the few - rather than the many - but that is apparent from your site (so PM where you are from, as I would love a session).

Anyhow - the tips were muchly appreciated, as was the feedback on the move - as I have always gone back and forth on my feelings towards breakless DL and ones where you have a get ready.

We can agree to agree 150% of the time and disagree 50% of the time then - look forward to your blogs - and thanks for password protecting them - class act!

liquidsn

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
thanks. You should comment on the blog. I'm sure people would love to hear your thoughts on the double lift.

My AIM name is tonytoniuw, if you ever want to talk more.

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I for one have seen Liquidsn perform his Push off in various settings, and I remember first seeing it and being astounded at the simplicity and smoothness of it.

I totally agree with Morgician on the fact that a DL that requires a break, whether it be a pinky break, thumb break (to each his own), is a sure fire way to ensure 100% accuracy, at the risk of adding a little extra tension to the hand, but that if it is done correctly, can be seemingly natural and without risk.

However, to back up Liquidsn, I completely understand and agree where he is coming from when he says, the easiest, and most natural way to push off a single, should be the EXACT same way you do a DL. Now, in the beginning of his lesson video, you will notice him doing the push off DL a few times, and then switching to a single. I at first did not even notice it, until I saw a different card... I was confused. I didnt know if he was doing singles and then finally did a DL, or if he did his push off DL and finally show a single... haha.
(sorry I was a bit tired).

One thing that I can add that hasn't been mentioned: Since the push off DL is indeed a knack, and even if practiced for a year, can still only be 99%, when you do hit that 1 % and have an un-squared double, you don't have to turn it over. You can always resquare, continue on with your patter, misdirect, and do it again. This, if you have indeed practiced, can be detected without even looking at your hands. you will know when the DL isnt perfectly squared =).

This is of course, only, if you take Liquid's sound advice, and put in the required practice time.

Lets all keep working hard together at keeping our passion for, practice, and performance of slight-of-hand at a high and respected level!

Sep 4, 2007
Hey Tony,
You should teach your subtlety for thumb counting for a break. This has really helped me with my doubles. For those who do not want to do a push off, this will help them tremendously.
Tatanka

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I agree with Tatanka. Freshman year of University, this was the first thing he really taught me to do. It was crazy hard at first, but his advice was sound. Getting a break with a thumb count is still probably my most natural and easily accomplished DL. Although, my push off is getting there ! =)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results