Putting a Show Together... HELP!!!

Seth Hughes

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2018
VA
I have a gig coming up in about a month, Where I have to put together a show, But I have only done that once before and it was a disaster. I usually do parlor or street performance, so the thought of doing a show terrifies Me.

I have no idea what to do... period.

Anything you can tell me will help drastically. Thank you.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
First thing's first, which you won't want to hear - Why did you book a gig so soon if you don't have a show ready to go? Generally speaking a professional or semi-professional performer will give themselves at least 6 months to create a new show.

What kind of show is it? Parlor? Stage?

What material are you really good at right now?

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Christopher already beat me to the punch. You never book yourself a show if you don't even "have" a show yet. That being said, since you are hired its down to crunch time. Start giving us details ASAP. How many people? Audience age/description? Venue? How long are you on for?

Seth Hughes

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2018
VA
It’s a small stage in a resteraunt and there is going to be around fifty people there and I have have a half an hour.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I'm betting you actually mean "mental magic".

What do you already know? What resources do you have now?

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I'm just going to be honest. A half hour of "mentalist theme" magic isn't going to play well unless you have props and items to be seen as Obrien has stated. Audiences want to see "things". I know that sound really lame, but if they don't see props and or items up on your stage they feel like you don't have an act.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Yes it would be helpful if you can share a list of effects you know, that you are considering using (what's your A-list).

Making a show is really personal. It depends on your style and personality a lot. Are you a storyteller? Are you going for mysterious stranger, comedian, master of the universe or magician in trouble? Are you trying to be an actual mind reader, psycological manipulator, or just doing mental-magic tricks?

Everyone is different, but for me, I first figure out something I want to communicate to my audience in 1 sentence. What is your show about? What do you want them to know/learn/feel/experience after the show? Entertaining is not an answer for this. That is obvious and implied. Think deeper.

Then I take my A list material and slot it in. (this is stuff I know hits hard, is practiced, timed, and I am very confident with). Then I figure out how each of those can be adapted to achieve my one sentence goal. From there I fill in with effects that particularly drive my point home.

But everyone is different in their approach to these things.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Can you please list out some of your best material so we can help you? In a half hour time slot you should be able to entertain with about 6-8 effects. There is no need to cram in 20 things and go as fast as you can go. Many amateurs do this and don't make that audience connection at all. It's more of a, "Watch what I can do."

Reactions: JoshL8

Seth Hughes

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2018
VA
My best things: perfect square, card to wallet, ACAAN, linking rings, psychometry prediction, and Zandman book test.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Always open with something visual. I would not come out on stage and do a card trick right off the get go. Looking at your list, that would mean coming out to linking rings set to music perhaps. Your finisher should be something strong as well. I wouldn't end on a card trick. Perhaps perfect square for you or the book test. Your other effects obviously go in the middle.

Seth Hughes

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2018
VA
Wow thank you.

I honestly don't know what I would do without these forums. You all are so supportive. I can't put into word how much You guys have helped me. thank you all.

Oct 19, 2015
What little you described about the 'gig' suggests that you could do a walk around routine...just because you booked a stage performance, nothing prohibits you from walking around in the audience. You suggest this is more comfortable performance for you, why not do what you do best....

Reactions: Seth Hughes

Seth Hughes

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2018
VA
What little you described about the 'gig' suggests that you could do a walk around routine...just because you booked a stage performance, nothing prohibits you from walking around in the audience. You suggest this is more comfortable performance for you, why not do what you do best....
I would but there are going to be bands playing before and after me so they wanted a stage act but I think that I finally have my routine down. :)

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Always open with something visual. I would not come out on stage and do a card trick right off the get go. Looking at your list, that would mean coming out to linking rings set to music perhaps. Your finisher should be something strong as well. I wouldn't end on a card trick. Perhaps perfect square for you or the book test. Your other effects obviously go in the middle.

Oh man, the best perfect square closer I've seen was by Harry Anderson. Intense! He also talked about it on his Penguin Magic Lecture.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results