Pyrotechnic Pasteboards by Gregory Wilson

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Pyrotechnic Pasteboards by Gregory Wilson

Official Spam:

Pyrotechnic Pasteboards picks up where Gregory?s best-selling Card Stunts video left off. Forget those mind-numbing, deal down, Uncle Charlie card tricks. This is fast and furious, in-your-face card flaunting! Think Jackie Chan with 52 potential papercuts! With Pyrotechnic Pasteboards, you get all of this non-stop, action-packed commotion and more! Why wait till the Fourth of July for flashy fireworks? Break out your Bicycles and start blowing away your audiences - today!

The DVD-

The Layout-

I like the layout of this DVD. What it does is it shows all the effects in a row, so you can see Greg's routine, and then Greg goes through each trick and explains it.

The Quality-

The quality on this DVD is awesome. Everything Greg says, you can hear. The picture is very clear, as well.

The Menu-

Performances-

This, to me, is the best part of the video. Greg is very entertaining, funny, and an excellent overall performer.

Explanations-

The explanations are pretty good, but you must have a grasp of most basic sleights, because he does go kind of fast in some parts, and definitely does not go over every single move he does.

Play-

This simply plays the DVD from the very beginning to the very end.

Effects-

Point Blank-

This is Greg's stunning Ambitious Card Routine... done with a blank deck! This one does require practice, especially on one certain move in particular, but it is well worth it in the end. One of the best parts of this routine is that when the spectator gets to keep the card at the end, this is one of the few times they will actually keep it (quote from Greg himself). I have yet to perform this effects, because I don't feel confident with it, but I bet it gets awesome reactions.

Flashback-

This effect does require set up, but it shouldn't take too long. This is another "time machine" effect, with the cards visually ending up inside the box at the end. This effect does require one gimmick, but you can do the effect without it. This effect gets some pretty good reactions.

Straight A's-

This is a quick Ace revelation, including Greg's version of the Butterfly Cut. Very stunning to audiences. This produces average reactions, I think partly because it make you look like you're showing off with all the fancy cuts.

Spectator Cuts to the Aces-

This effect isn't mentioned anywhere other than the DVD, but it is on there. The method is very clever, and I have not been caught yet. Pretty good reactions... if they haven't seen a Spectator Cuts to the Aces trick before.

FISM Aces-

The four aces shoot out of the pack one by one into your hands. Then, at the end, the deck vanishes. This effect is awesome, but be prepared to have sore hands after practicing the method. Awesome reactions!

Lethal Fours-

This is my personal favorite out of all the effects on this DVD. If you already know how to do an Elmsley Count, this effect shouldn't give you too much trouble. If not, the Elmsley is taught on the DVD, and the effect will require a little more practice. Great reactions... I've had people sit there and look at the cards for five minutes, then just walk away. To me, those type of silent reactions are the best.

Cards to Pocket-

This effect is awesome as well. There are about 4 phases, each one building up to the grand finale... all the cards end up in your pocket, except for the signed (if you want) selected card, which is still in your hand. You will have the audience swearing to other people that the deck was still in your hand when you put the card in. Pretty good reactions.

Overall-

All the material on this DVD is great. If you don't have it... get it. The only things that I can recommend getting are the Art of Card Splitting (you'll see when you get Pyrotechnic Pasteboards), and a double blank deck (for Point Blank). But, be prepared to practice... a lot.

Overall Grade-

10/10

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Adjones, I always enjoy your reviews.
By the way, what is the price of this dvd and would you recomend it over Front Row Sankey (If you have the aforementiont dvd that is)

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Thanks for the positive feedback. I will be trying to transfer all of my reviews over here, but it may take a while. Dark Angel: it's funny you should say that... Pyrotechnic Pasteboards and Front Row Sankey tie for my favorite magic DVD. Greg and Sankey are both funny, and entertaining, but to me, Greg is just a step above Sankey. Sankey's humor can be dumb at times, and to me, Greg seems like the guy who everybody would want to be around, even if he didn't perform magic. As someone else put it... Greg's the kind of guy you would call a "impromptu" stand up comedian. The price of this DVD is $30 on Penguin. I have a review of Front Row on Penguin... I'll transfer it over later tonight, and you can compare the two. If you want a wide variety of material, go with Sankey. However, if you are a mainly card guy, I would go with Pyrotechnic Pasteboards. Hope this helps.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Sankey has his moments, but Sankey's humor seems planned out, like everything he says was planned out to be there right from the get-go. On the contrary, Wilson's humor seems "On the Spot" (pun intended). Sometimes Sankey can get very annoying... especially when he performs and teaches a whole effect in the same voice (a voice that is not his normal voice). Don't get me wrong, Sankey is very funny and entertaining, I just like Greg's style more.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results