Question about the shrinking thumb fan effect that I've seen cardini do it on his 1950s aired appear

Okay first of all I want to say this guy is a legend I believe he's only had one appearance on TV and it was during the 50s and it's a Black and White episode you can still see today on YouTube and he performs this affect well it's one of many of his effects. I believe he was a soldier in World War 1 and since spending so much time in the trenches he would pass the time by learning how to handle cards but it was cold out so he was doing this wearing gloves and you'll notice he's wearing white gloves during his appearance is truly amazing. Anyway I was just messing around today and a popped in my head and I figured I would just try to do this effect and it looks pretty cool and I posted it to read it and surprisingly it got a whole bunch of comments and made it to the number two spot for the magic Community for the day for most viewed and I'm just like I don't know what to think I tried looking up the name of this effect or who created it but I found nothing on Google below I will paste a link to my video on Reddit if you'd like to check it out and that's it. RealityOne if you get this you're probably my best shot of having an answer LOL.

Reactions: CWhite
Pretty sure Dan Sperry teaches that in one of his Card Manipulations videos - https://store.theory11.com/collections/tricks#?artist=Dan Sperry

It's generally referred to as "The Shrinking Cards" as far as I know, and was a staple of card manipulation acts. I've seen it referenced in a few books from the "Our Magic" time period and later.
Thanks Chris,
I appreciate that. I know its been around. I just didn't know the name of it. Its not a very popular flourish though i think.....well i dont see it much . thanks bud.

ID4

Aug 20, 2010
Pretty sure Dan Sperry teaches that in one of his Card Manipulations videos - https://store.theory11.com/collections/tricks#?artist=Dan Sperry

It's generally referred to as "The Shrinking Cards" as far as I know, and was a staple of card manipulation acts. I've seen it referenced in a few books from the "Our Magic" time period and later.

Actually it's called the Diminishing Cards.

On Aug 1, 2003, Uli Weigel wrote:
The diminishing cards are the invention of Jean Eugène Robert-Houdin. So this lovely trick is around for more than 150 years. By the way, Robert-Houdin did this with an ordinary deck by purely manipulative means. Descriptions of the method can be found in More Card Manipulations by Jean Hugard and in Royal Road to Card Magic. There is also a version on one of Jeff McBride's Card manipulation videos.

Lance Burton once told a story of Cardini when he was in the hospital because he was injured in the war. Cardini asked for a deck of cards, so they gave him a deck of cards. But when he asked for a pair of white gloves they brought him a Psychiatrist.

Reactions: CardMagicNJ
Actually it's called the Diminishing Cards.

Lance Burton once told a story of Cardini when he was in the hospital because he was injured in the war. Cardini asked for a deck of cards, so they gave him a deck of cards. But when he asked for a pair of white gloves they brought him a Psychiatrist.
Thank you for all the information on the reply I appreciate it I didn't know too much about that move. I also use regular size cards. I don't know why but that move just popped in my head the other day and I just tried it a couple times trying to come up my own way though it I was just messing around filming myself that's all.

ID4

Aug 20, 2010
Since More Card Manipulations Series 3 by Jean Hugard in the public domain, it is available for free in the Learned Pig Project section of lybrary.com . No purchase required.

Reactions: CardMagicNJ
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results