quick idea

Nov 13, 2016
Just a quick idea I wanted to share..(probably im not the first to come up with this but who knows...) any comments tips or references are appreciated. (And its quite simple nothing too great)

If you're ever up against that pesky spectator who thinks he knows it all(because he watched one and a half of a Youtube tutorial) and is burning your every single move or anyone else who has for whatever reason believe to think ure holding a pinky break when your putting the selected card back....
I've had an idea :when you cut the pack for the spectator to put the card back simply cut at the 26th card as you would do to faro and replace it there (of course it depends if the spectator selected a card from the top or bottom half so you have to act accordingly I.e. or the 25th or 26th card)and place it there and square up the deck. And enjoy that moment maybe even put the deck down for a minute..(PS. If you're scared you won't cut exactly half of the cards then simply before the trick casually start executing a faro to see if its exactly half and take note of that card.)
Then you just take the pack and according to where you want to control the card to you either do an out faro or in faro... And thats it (or you just cut the deck and take note of their card and you can be a mind reader...

PS the spectator will never notice that you replaced the card at exactly half .

Reactions: Khaleel Olaiky

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
In the case of a tough participant I usually give them the deck and go into something self working. John Bannon or something from Impuzzlbilities would work.

Cutting the deck to return the card followed by cutting the deck to shuffle is kind of repetitive for my tastes. With really tough guys they will want to shuffle anyways, so I chose a routine that fits the moment.

Nov 13, 2016
All good ideas and i appreciate the replies.
but the truth is the reason I thought of this was because I had a spectator actually square up the deck and noticed a bridge (wich was really surprising because it was a small one ..)so I managed to convince him it was a natural bend from when he held the card (how I convinced him was the real magic haha)
And about cutting the cards twice...well the first time isnt considered for the spectator a cut as he's concentrating on his card and you just say put the cards here and cutting the card to faro i think that the cut is so fast it doesnt even register.

And about the spectator shuffling I found that after I gave the cards a full deck retention overhand shuffle (from patrick redford its really amazing, looks great)the spectator that wanted to shuffle a few moments ago almost always doesnt want to anymore because the overhand shuffle really convinced them(partially I think because it doesnt look like a fancy shuffle just a good old overhand shuffle)

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
All good ideas and i appreciate the replies.
but the truth is the reason I thought of this was because I had a spectator actually square up the deck and noticed a bridge (wich was really surprising because it was a small one ..)so I managed to convince him it was a natural bend from when he held the card (how I convinced him was the real magic haha)
And about cutting the cards twice...well the first time isnt considered for the spectator a cut as he's concentrating on his card and you just say put the cards here and cutting the card to faro i think that the cut is so fast it doesnt even register.

And about the spectator shuffling I found that after I gave the cards a full deck retention overhand shuffle (from patrick redford its really amazing, looks great)the spectator that wanted to shuffle a few moments ago almost always doesnt want to anymore because the overhand shuffle really convinced them(partially I think because it doesnt look like a fancy shuffle just a good old overhand shuffle)

The original idea is really nice as well. We were just offering other solutions :)

Ed Marlo has a few ideas on the placement of a chosen card and the faro shuffle. It gets pretty interesting and complex.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
When I get a spectator like that, I just switch my trick. I have a friend like that, and I was showing a couple kids some magic in school, and he was being a total jerk. So I have him shuffle up the cards, peek at the bottom one, control it to the top, and force it on him. Then I give him the deck and do a cold reading routine.

Try using tricks with fewer cards, or those that don't even need the deck. Coin tricks, Montes, Cold Reading, and Colour changes work very well.

You can move back to your previous trick.

Btw, Jay Sankey has some nice ways to deal with hecklers on his Youtube channel. You can also apply the method stand up comedians use, where they flat out make the heckler look like a fool. You can even do one of those tricks where every one besides the "volunteer" knows whats going on.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
That's an interesting concept I hadn't thought about. I know one guy who cuts 20 cards for a trick, and he's done it so much he can do it nearly without fail. I suppose this would be the same idea.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results