R.e.s.p.e.c.t.

Respect, what does it mean?

"esteem for or a sense of the worth or excellence of a person, a personal quality or ability, or something considered as a manifestation of a personal quality or ability"

We all excel at magic, it is our passion, hobby, and profession. We all put our heart and soul into it, but why? Why is it that we still treat fellow magicians as if they were martyrs. Why do we call out different magicians and "diss" them because of their style. We must have respect for our fellow magicians.

Let's take Criss Angel for example, it seems many people have lost a lot of respect for Criss. Why? He started out like we all did, with a budding curiosity of the art. Why treat our own disrespectfully if they never disrespected any of us. They are magicians, we are magicians, we must live in harmony if we all want to succeed.

Being respectful doesn't just apply itself for other magicians, but you must respect your spectators. If there is a spectator you don't like, simply because of the way they act (I'm not talking about a tough cookie), then you should STILL respect them. Your actions upon spectators reflect how much your spectators will cooperate with you. If you are disrespectful to ONE (1) spectator, what will make another spectator want to be in the same position. The won't want to be disrespected like the previous spectator.

I'm not Christian but this quote really speaks a lot about this topic:

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Would YOU want to be disrespected as a spectator? As a VOLUNTEER? Would you want to be put down and mocked? NO! You must be respectful to all of your spectators. Even if they are arrogant, annoying, picky, or dress funny. You must put all of your judgments and opinions aside, because when you perform, it's for your spectators.

*You must realize I am not talking about tough cookies or hecklers here. I am simply talking about regular spectators who have certain "qualities which bother you. I'm talking about prejudgment.

Hope I made sense... :)

-Mitchell

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Greeaaat, now I have that annoying song stuck in my head...

A good post, Mitch.
However, I guess that one could argue that respect is earned not given.

Greeaaat, now I have that annoying song stuck in my head...

A good post, Mitch.
However, I guess that one could argue that respect is earned not given.

I agree with your post Mitch, people should respect others and not judge them on their actions. I'm not going to get into a heated debate about Criss Angel but, the way he performs I like to watch, and it has lead lots of teens to start out in magic. That's all I'm saying.

I also agree about the Dark Angels comment that respect is earned. If someone does diss you for a trick you may have screwed up on and are being arrogant then I wouldn't show them respect. It's exactly why you should:

Mitchell Stafiej said:
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

You don't make fun of some you give them let's say "constructive critcism." You tell them that they "flashed" or what-not and give them tips on how to change that. You don't rip into them, if you do this you lose respect.

Respect is a difficult topic to discuss since lots of people have their own opinion and beliefs on it. But, you should "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you," it works in all aspects of life, and if you live and perform like this respect won't be hard to come by.

-RA69

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results