Votes: 22 78.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KatieKenner

that girl who posts videos sometimes / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
www.myspace.com
So Basically what you are saying is people who don't perform regularly for "real people" aren't magicians?

So "magicians" like Chris Kenner, Homer Liwag, Joe Monti, Rudy Coby.. and maybe even your local magic shop owner, who make a good living by "magic" aren't really magicians? They don't qualify by the standard you are presenting here.

Some of these people haven't performed for real people in years, but they have been able to do something that was caught on camera to share with you, so they aren't "magicians" because the only outlet of performance has been via video?

What about the people on this forum and others that don't want to do anything but be famous in the small magic community, only practicing tricks and flourishes that lay people will not appreciate, but their beloved magic community will. Are the people who only practice to perform at Magic Conventions considered true magicians, because they don't perform for anyone until that chance at a magic convention.

In the end, it doesn't matter what you call yourself, or what others call you. If you want to be a performer, then go perform. If you want to be that youtube magician, no one is going to stop you, if you just want to sit at home and practice everything from every book and DVD you have ever purchased and never show the world, that's fine too.

If you are worried about people caring if you are a true "magician" or not then I want to live in your world, because lately I have to be worried about things that seem a lot bigger than that...

Like becoming a mom...

Something to think about.

KE

So Basically what you are saying is people who don't perform regularly for "real people" aren't magicians?

So "magicians" like Chris Kenner, Homer Liwag, Joe Monti, Rudy Coby.. and maybe even your local magic shop owner, who make a good living by "magic" aren't really magicians? They don't qualify by the standard you are presenting here.

Some of these people haven't performed for real people in years, but they have been able to do something that was caught on camera to share with you, so they aren't "magicians" because the only outlet of performance has been via video?

What about the people on this forum and others that don't want to do anything but be famous in the small magic community, only practicing tricks and flourishes that lay people will not appreciate, but their beloved magic community will. Are the people who only practice to perform at Magic Conventions considered true magicians, because they don't perform for anyone until that chance at a magic convention.

In the end, it doesn't matter what you call yourself, or what others call you. If you want to be a performer, then go perform. If you want to be that youtube magician, no one is going to stop you, if you just want to sit at home and practice everything from every book and DVD you have ever purchased and never show the world, that's fine too.

If you are worried about people caring if you are a true "magician" or not then I want to live in your world, because lately I have to be worried about things that seem a lot bigger than that...

Like becoming a mom...

Something to think about.

KE

Actually I never said they weren't or if they were,I asked what do you all consider them.

-T.J.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Scott Baird also works at a Magic shop so he does perform for real people every so often.

The problem I have with youtube kids is that youtube makes it so it's REALLY easy to catch what you're doing just by rewinding and watching it in slow mo. Magic wasn't made for the internet, it was made to be performed for real people. Thus allowing you to use misdirection if your technique sucks a fat one. It was made to turn that shy quiet kid into something else.

You cannot do all that stuff when you perform for an unblinking camera. Now for Homer Liwag, Chris Kenner and so fourth. It's a bit different because they were mainly doing it for a demo video for their effects that are taught on a magicians only website.

Aug 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
I feel that they should still be considered as magicians, because well i have a couple of videos of me on youtube... But i have been getting out there more and performing the tricks... i havent put a video on in like 3 months. But i would say they might just not be ready to perform outside... Which they need to get over that fear because that is what magic is.

Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
I feel that they should still be considered as magicians, because well i have a couple of videos of me on youtube... But i have been getting out there more and performing the tricks... i havent put a video on in like 3 months. But i would say they might just not be ready to perform outside... Which they need to get over that fear because that is what magic is.

Well in my opinion, that reason is just as bogus. If you go out and perform, I am going to put in a street senario, you would probably perform for a max crowd of about 15 people... Now on youtube it would say this has be viewed 999,515,687 times. And they will keep watching and watching until they figire it out. whether it be the legit method or the way the, in thir head think it's done. The magic has been lost thanks to the video. You are better off hiding in your room and doing the trick in front a mirror! if you perform live, they only see the effect once, and very small chance of figuring out the method. And as time goes by the replay the effect in there mind and each time they forget certain details, like you held the deck not them.. Just they forget the little things like that and the effect over time progresses in their head to get more and more impossible than before. Where as you post a video and they see it exactly over and over again and they are bound to figure it out some time. :rolleyes:

Well in my opinion, that reason is just as bogus. If you go out and perform, I am going to put in a street senario, you would probably perform for a max crowd of about 15 people... Now on youtube it would say this has be viewed 999,515,687 times. And they will keep watching and watching until they figire it out. whether it be the legit method or the way the, in thir head think it's done. The magic has been lost thanks to the video. You are better off hiding in your room and doing the trick in front a mirror! if you perform live, they only see the effect once, and very small chance of figuring out the method. And as time goes by the replay the effect in there mind and each time they forget certain details, like you held the deck not them.. Just they forget the little things like that and the effect over time progresses in their head to get more and more impossible than before. Where as you post a video and they see it exactly over and over again and they are bound to figure it out some time. :rolleyes:

Well said.

-T.J.

Oct 14, 2008
I hate web cam magic. The worst thing is when you see the "magician" play both the parts of the spectator and the "magician" and they will actually pick the card out themselves....cringe!! 9.9 times out of 10 the patter is usually terrible or non existent as well, or it is a patter that has been stolen word for word from the magician they learned it from. Also, if you have learned an effect the way it should be learned then you would be able to go out and perform it, and if you haven't learned it to that point then you should be practising, not trying to show off on youtube.

Okay gettin a little carried away with your opinions. Not saying your opinions don't matter, which they do. This thread is going to go around in circles, because this debate isn't black and white. ALso certain people are starting to point fingers, which is never a good thing. Plus a vote is the worst thing to do becuse it creates conflict, conflicts lead to bigger problems.

Aug 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI

I am not trying to say it is right... Really it dosent matter, its not us that arnt performing... atleast we are the ones performing and getting better. Its really there loss.

Jun 8, 2009
People who only show magic in front of their webcam aren't often good magicians, but that doesn't mean they're not magicians at all. Occasionally some come along that actually perform to the people watching (rather than just show) and make it all entertaining. It's not the bedroom/webcam combo that matters but how they perform.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results