Real or Magic-y?

Jan 3, 2008
Hi guys,

I was wondering about magic and mentalism, so to speak. What makes us really feel the astonishment or "something unusual"? For me, magic creates WOW in my heart, but mentalism makes me think about the line between magic and reality. It creates that "It might be real.." kinda thing. For me mentaslim is stronger.

Waht are your opinions?

Thanks for your time,

Tomas Simkus

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
whatever you dedicate the most time to, whatever you practice more, whatever you perform on a more regular basis, whatever you apply most thought to, whatever you execute with more conviction, whatever moves you deeply- that is what will be stronger my friend. i love and am very interested in mentalism, but nothing beats the feeling of performing close up for me. close up mental effects? amazing!

C!

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
Usually mentalism is stronger, but really great magic can break the barrier. For example even though I know how to do the linking rings, but when I saw Shoot Ogawa perform the ninja rings along time ago it looked like it could be real. So its not the type of trick its the perfromer and the way its performed.

-Michael

Jan 3, 2008
But still, then I see a close up show I know that this is a trick, because it is not "too real" so to speak. But with mentalism it is different. Derren Brown is agood axample. He states that he does not posses (spelling?) any kind of supernatural power, but then you see what he does....man, this gives quite a punch to my brain.:)

Uri Geller is another example. He claimed about his "super duper" abilities. A lot of people stayed on sceptic side, but still was a bit frightened. Was he too real?

I hope this make sense to this topic:)

Oct 6, 2007
I personally prefer magic. I just love having cards in my hands and entertaining people with them.

For me, magic is as you said, "WOW". It's more enterainment focused.

However, mentalism breaks barriers. It defies reality, more so in the way magic does.

Magic makes you think wow, that's pretty much impossible.
Mentalism IS impossible.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results